How often does your Frenchie puke?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I went through something similar with my English bulldog. Took him to vet and they did all kinds of tests and everything came back perfect. X-rays showed excessive gas in stomach and around esophagus. Everything was fine and then 3 weeks after that, started to throw up again. I think he has acid reflux.

So I bought a slow feed bowl and started splitting up his meals into smaller portions. I’d give half his breakfast and then the rest 2 hours later. I also have been feeding just one protein at a time in case that was the issue. I am now feeding him his regular portions, still in a slow feed bowl and also with a famotidine but still one protein at a time. It’s been over a month and so far so good.

He was also eating grass when his stomach was upset but has stopped that now.

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
That’s great you have seen improvement with the gas.
Rusty won’t eat any kind kibble at all. He only likes the bone broth in his food but he won’t eat the broth by itself.

I’m not sure of the local raw food companies near Seattle cause I’m in BC in Canada.
Are you meaning you are considering commercial raw already done but without making her food whether cooked or raw?
I know you said you don’t want to do raw or cook for her but then you mentioned you have a place that has raw but you don’t know the name of the place?

I’m not asking you to switch her food I was just giving suggestions incase you thought her food was the issue and your concerned about DCM. 😊

How is she doing with the 3 meals a day??? Any vomiting??
Have you been breaking it up in pieces?

Is she still eating grass?

Also another good source of taurine you can give as a treat:
Stella and chewy brand has a 1 ingredient treats that come in beef liver and beef heart. They are freeze dried treats, but if you get the beef heart treats they are a good source of taurine with little to no nutrient loss cause it’s a freeze dried treat just like the open farm freeze dried you give for treats. That’s available in US and in Canada.
I saw her nibbling on a little bit of grass this morning.

The raw company is Darwin's Natural Pet. I was just thinking of an example of raw ready to go. We have no intentions of cooking or going raw but have thought about it in the past.

She seems to like eating more frequently. The first day, she was confused on why she wasnt getting her dinner at the normal time lol. Haven't seen a change. She may have puked this morning when we weren't home sometime after her breakfast. There looked to be a slight stain/residue on the carpet but we weren't sure if it's new or old.

We haven't broken up the nuggets into smaller pieces yet. We're going to stop adding the Honest Kitchen clusters with this Freshpet bag for a week and see if it has something to do with the different textures or whatever.

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
I went through something similar with my English bulldog. Took him to vet and they did all kinds of tests and everything came back perfect. X-rays showed excessive gas in stomach and around esophagus. Everything was fine and then 3 weeks after that, started to throw up again. I think he has acid reflux.

So I bought a slow feed bowl and started splitting up his meals into smaller portions. I’d give half his breakfast and then the rest 2 hours later. I also have been feeding just one protein at a time in case that was the issue. I am now feeding him his regular portions, still in a slow feed bowl and also with a famotidine but still one protein at a time. It’s been over a month and so far so good.

He was also eating grass when his stomach was upset but has stopped that now.
Right now, she's eating just slightly over a 1/2 cup per serving. She's 22 pounds. Not sure what is considered fast but she finishes the meal in under 2 minutes.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I saw her nibbling on a little bit of grass this morning.

The raw company is Darwin's Natural Pet. I was just thinking of an example of raw ready to go. We have no intentions of cooking or going raw but have thought about it in the past.

She seems to like eating more frequently. The first day, she was confused on why she wasnt getting her dinner at the normal time lol. Haven't seen a change. She may have puked this morning when we weren't home sometime after her breakfast. There looked to be a slight stain/residue on the carpet but we weren't sure if it's new or old.

We haven't broken up the nuggets into smaller pieces yet. We're going to stop adding the Honest Kitchen clusters with this Freshpet bag for a week and see if it has something to do with the different textures or whatever.

Hopefully things start improving soon for Charlie. If it was due to an empty stomach there should already be a difference in the vomiting in the morning and overnight.

Keep us updated!

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
Looks like we lasted almost 3 weeks since her last puke. Finally happened just now at like 4:30AM. She woke up to tell me to go out to potty. We come back in. I wash my hands and go back to the bedroom. As I'm walking in, I hear the grunting and found 2 small piles of mostly digested food. Her last meal was at about 8:15pm.

During the hiatus, she's been eating the beef and lamb recipe. Rotated in the chicken and salmon just this Monday. Haven't added or changed anything else to her diet. Maybe it is something in this recipe. I still don't think it's chicken bc we've given her lots of real chicken, like chunks of chicken breast without issue.

I wonder if it's salmon. I remember now she puked when she received freeze dried salmon as treats. Also, we forgot to wash her bowl between lunch and dinner. Instead of doing a quick wash, I just stopped her dinner into the bowl tonight. This is the first time to my knowledge. I've always made sure to clean her bowl afterwards.

Also, she hasn't stopped nibbling on grass. I guess she just likes it.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
That’s great that she went almost 3 weeks without vomiting.
It sounds like she doesn’t tolerate or is allergic to something in the chicken salmon formula.
Is there a just chicken formula without salmon you could try to rotate thru instead of having salmon in the recipe??
If you think it’s the salmon, maybe try a chicken only formula or go back to the beef formula.

Keep us updated!

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
And she just puked. All yellow foam with a few stands of grass.

Just got back from our morning walk. Getting her breakfast ready. I hear her walk close by then start grunting. Was able to slide the mat underneath just in time.

She had dinner last night at 8pm on the dot. She puked at 9:45AM. No excitements on the walk.

Yesterday, we slept in until 1030AM. She didn't eat her breakfast until 10:45AM. Her dinner the previous night was just before 8:30PM. She was napping at the time and I didn't want to disturb her until she got up. No issues with that long of a spread. Only thing odd about yesterday was she only pooped on her morning walk. Didnt do the doo the rest of the day.

She held it until this morning where it had some nice girth to it. But overall much smaller than expected for just a single yesterday.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
And she just puked. All yellow foam with a few stands of grass.

Just got back from our morning walk. Getting her breakfast ready. I hear her walk close by then start grunting. Was able to slide the mat underneath just in time.

She had dinner last night at 8pm on the dot. She puked at 9:45AM. No excitements on the walk.

Yesterday, we slept in until 1030AM. She didn't eat her breakfast until 10:45AM. Her dinner the previous night was just before 8:30PM. She was napping at the time and I didn't want to disturb her until she got up. No issues with that long of a spread. Only thing odd about yesterday was she only pooped on her morning walk. Didnt do the doo the rest of the day.

She held it until this morning where it had some nice girth to it. But overall much smaller than expected for just a single yesterday.

It sounds like she vomited due to empty stomach today. Just yellow vomit with a little grass is due to an empty stomach especially before she eats! Her breakfast was too late probably. That’s good you fed her at 8 last night but she needs to be fed around 9 like Rusty.

Rusty gets a snack at 10:30pm before bed and then breakfast before 9. 3 or 4 weeks ago when we slept in until 9:30 he vomited @10:00 because we slept in and breakfast was too late. Only 1 time since November though so as long as I feed him by 9 and he eats at 10 or 10:30pm he is good.
That seems to be like Charlie with being fed breakfast too late and then she vomits(there will be a few times where we can sleep in and him being fed @9:45 or 10am without issue but most of the time they need to eat before that so they don’t vomit).

Also try not to let her eat grass cause that actually can cause them to vomit, some dogs just eat it cause they like the taste but that has caused vomiting as well.

Also are you still feeding the chicken and salmon or did you go back to lamb and beef????
Has she still been vomiting on the chicken and salmon recipe???

Is she eating it very fast?

Just curious if some of it has to do with the chicken salmon formula since you mentioned before she vomited from salmon treat before. Or did you go back to the lamb beef formula where she didn’t vomit for almost 3 weeks????

Keep us updated!
I am happy to help!

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
We finished the bag of Chicken and Salmon. Those ~5# bags last about 1 week and 2 days now since we don't add kibble to it anymore. We do agree empty stomach and probably irritation from only grass may have induce the vomiting. That bag finished on Thurs iirc. She's rotated to Beef and Lamb now.

Yesterday evening, she did puke up partially digested good at about 9:30pm. Probably about the majority of her 8:15pm dinner. We believe this occurred bc she had the mega zoomies after eating. Then she stole 2 packages and ripped and maybe ate sine pieces. 1 had a plastic shipping wrapper that was destroyed. The other was the flap of a cardboard box. :devilish:

She was trying to eat her puke. I just put in a small scoop of kibble into her bowl so she has something in her tummy. Gobbled the kibble right up.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
We finished the bag of Chicken and Salmon. Those ~5# bags last about 1 week and 2 days now since we don't add kibble to it anymore. We do agree empty stomach and probably irritation from only grass may have induce the vomiting. That bag finished on Thurs iirc. She's rotated to Beef and Lamb now.

Yesterday evening, she did puke up partially digested good at about 9:30pm. Probably about the majority of her 8:15pm dinner. We believe this occurred bc she had the mega zoomies after eating. Then she stole 2 packages and ripped and maybe ate sine pieces. 1 had a plastic shipping wrapper that was destroyed. The other was the flap of a cardboard box. :devilish:

She was trying to eat her puke. I just put in a small scoop of kibble into her bowl so she has something in her tummy. Gobbled the kibble right up.

Hopefully with being on lamb and beef(and without eating grass) she will vomit less often!

The racing around with the cardboard definitely can cause the vomiting after eating! Hopefully she doesn’t take anymore packages!

Is this the first time she has vomited since being off the chicken salmon????

Try to keep track of when she does vomit and if she is on salmon recipes and eats grass(that will hopefully give an idea of why she is vomiting other than empty stomach) cause she could be allergic to the salmon chicken recipe!

Keep us updated

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a long thread and I haven’t read all the posts so I might ask questions you’ve already answered and I think I even posted my experience with my bulldog.

Are you using a slow feed bowl? Are you using a raised bowl? Have you tried giving famotidine? Have you tried smaller, more frequent meals? Have you tried one protein at a time?

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
This is a long thread and I haven’t read all the posts so I might ask questions you’ve already answered and I think I even posted my experience with my bulldog.

Are you using a slow feed bowl? Are you using a raised bowl? Have you tried giving famotidine? Have you tried smaller, more frequent meals? Have you tried one protein at a time?
No slow feeder. She eats a rounded 1/2 cup of food in about 1 minute and 20 seconds.

Using a raised food and water bowl.

No famotidine.

3 meals a day. Rounded 1/2 cup per serving. Usually at 8am, 2pm, and 8pm.

Haven't tried 1 protein at a time since this current food doesn't allow it.

So we've made a slight adjustment to the food schedule. On the days we know we'll be sleeping in, we'll feed her dinner later. At least 9pm. If she's napping, we won't wake her up until 930pm to feed.

I don't know if that really helps but figure we'll give it a try.

Also, we've been giving her a Cosequin tablet per day about 3 weeks ago.

Overall though, so far so good.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
No slow feeder. She eats a rounded 1/2 cup of food in about 1 minute and 20 seconds.

Using a raised food and water bowl.

No famotidine.

3 meals a day. Rounded 1/2 cup per serving. Usually at 8am, 2pm, and 8pm.

Haven't tried 1 protein at a time since this current food doesn't allow it.

So we've made a slight adjustment to the food schedule. On the days we know we'll be sleeping in, we'll feed her dinner later. At least 9pm. If she's napping, we won't wake her up until 930pm to feed.

I don't know if that really helps but figure we'll give it a try.

Also, we've been giving her a Cosequin tablet per day about 3 weeks ago.

Overall though, so far so good.
You might want to try a slow feed bowl. They are fairly inexpensive. You can also try breaking out her meals even more and spreading them out. At least until you see if it makes any difference. I did that with Louie and now he is back to 2 meals a day and (knock on wood), we haven't had any issues since January.

You can also try the famotidine to see if that helps any.

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
This thread needs an update too. She still pukes randomly. Overall, much less than before. We've also introduced all her old treats and havent seen a change in frequency. I want to say, nothing will happen, at least to our knowledge for a few weeks or more. Then all of a sudden, a random puke or 2 in a week.

About 2 weeks ago, I was taking her out for her morning walk. She started nibbling on grass and I told her to stop or you'll puke! Little butt head grabs a few more strands. As we got close to our door, I saw her grunting and sure enough, puked 3 small bile piles with little grass in it. I think she might be nibbling on the grass because she's hungry. So I've been feeding her before our morning walks on the days we sleep it and we'll see if that helps.

About a week ago, she stayed at my grandparents overnight while I was out of town too. When I got her home, she woke up at like 2AM to go potty. We go back to bed and a few minutes later, she threw right up on the bed cover. 5 or 6 pieces of her food were still whole. My grandparents told me, she got into the other dog food that day. She ate her bowl of food, then pushed the other dog out of her bowl and started eating their kibble lol.

So once or twice a month I guess is better.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
This thread needs an update too. She still pukes randomly. Overall, much less than before. We've also introduced all her old treats and havent seen a change in frequency. I want to say, nothing will happen, at least to our knowledge for a few weeks or more. Then all of a sudden, a random puke or 2 in a week.

About 2 weeks ago, I was taking her out for her morning walk. She started nibbling on grass and I told her to stop or you'll puke! Little butt head grabs a few more strands. As we got close to our door, I saw her grunting and sure enough, puked 3 small bile piles with little grass in it. I think she might be nibbling on the grass because she's hungry. So I've been feeding her before our morning walks on the days we sleep it and we'll see if that helps.

About a week ago, she stayed at my grandparents overnight while I was out of town too. When I got her home, she woke up at like 2AM to go potty. We go back to bed and a few minutes later, she threw right up on the bed cover. 5 or 6 pieces of her food were still whole. My grandparents told me, she got into the other dog food that day. She ate her bowl of food, then pushed the other dog out of her bowl and started eating their kibble lol.

So once or twice a month I guess is better.

That’s good she isn’t vomiting much anymore!

Maybe she is just hungry and eats grass, hopefully the breakfast before the walk helps.

Her eating the other dogs kibble can definitely cause her to throw up.

Hopefully she continues to improve 😊

Zoeybull

Reaction score
Charlie has always puke randomly every few weeks or so. Was told this is somewhat normal in dogs bc they are dogs. Just yellow foam. Sometimes with digested or undigested food. Strands of hair. Small slivers of plastic from her Benebones. She's a little over 2 years old now.

It has been a lot worse the past few months. The majority is in the middle of the night. She wakes up and gets off the bed and starts grunting. Big piles and small piles. Just this week, she has puked 3 different days. Yellow foam in the morning after her walk before breakfast. She encountered a big dog that got her excited and agitated. Thought it could have been due to empty stomach and the stress.

Last night, she threw up 2 tiny piles of digested food with some chunks in it. The sizes of the pile were about a quarter only.

Tonight, she just threw up again. This time only 1 tiny pile, same quarter size or so. I did see a big stand of hair while picking it up.

At first we thought it was the Dasuquin chews we were given to by the vet for luxating patella in Nov. She would throw up after about 30-60 mins after taking it, which we gave to her with her dinner. We thought even though it's soft, maybe it was too big for her, so we broke it up into smaller pieces. Which did help but would still throw up in the middle of the night. Eventually we just started crumbling it into powder and that helped even more but wasn't a total success. The directions stated to start giving her just one every other day after the first couple of weeks. Her pukes will generally fall on supplement day. We did talk to the vet and she suggested we try Cosequin instead. Might ge easier on her tummy.

Anyways yesterday was at 3AM. Today was 3:30AM. Most of the time, she gets up to let us know to go potty. Otherwise we'll hear her start grunting and we scramble to grab a towel or mat to lay down.

Last night night was her last Dasuquin. I actually anticipated her to throw up bc I saw a small chunk of it that didn't crumble all the way when we it was added to her food. Pea size. No supplement tonight but maybe it was the hair.

We also changed her food to FreshPet around Nov but we imagine if it was food related, the puking would happen throughout the day instead of majority being at night and be even more frequently. Breakfast is at 8am. Dinner at 5pm. Very consistent.
My frenchie Zoey had two years of throwing up starting at 6 months. She threw up many times every day. Took her to Dog Allergist, Blue Pearl and many times to our vet. went through every prescription food, nothing helped and no one had an answer why. Her normal weight was 20 lbs and she was down to 14. She does not have the elongated palate. I finally became desperate and decided to take her down to one food, boiled chicken thighs and breasts and feed her every four hours. She stopped vomiting. Over weeks I tried adding things to her food, salt free green beans were ok and all other ingredients made her throw up again. It has been five years, she is seven now, and she is very stable on the four hour feedings (it is tedious). We fill two crockpots once a month and run it through the food processor and run the salt free green beans through as well. We mix them together and freeze it. She tolerates a nutravet multivitamin once a day. While no vet diagnosed it, in my reading I feel she has biliary syndrome.

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
My frenchie Zoey had two years of throwing up starting at 6 months. She threw up many times every day. Took her to Dog Allergist, Blue Pearl and many times to our vet. went through every prescription food, nothing helped and no one had an answer why. Her normal weight was 20 lbs and she was down to 14. She does not have the elongated palate. I finally became desperate and decided to take her down to one food, boiled chicken thighs and breasts and feed her every four hours. She stopped vomiting. Over weeks I tried adding things to her food, salt free green beans were ok and all other ingredients made her throw up again. It has been five years, she is seven now, and she is very stable on the four hour feedings (it is tedious). We fill two crockpots once a month and run it through the food processor and run the salt free green beans through as well. We mix them together and freeze it. She tolerates a nutravet multivitamin once a day. While no vet diagnosed it, in my reading I feel she has biliary syndrome.
Wow. Have you tried another vet?

My belief is Charlie doesn't chew her food thoroughly. For example, this morning she ate her breakfast. I thought she finished but apparently she didn't eat all of it. Anyways that doesn't matter.

I thought she was done since she started to chew her bone next to me. After about 10 mins of chewing, she paws me for pets. As I'm scratching her side, she starts coughing. Then coughs up a single whole piece of her FreshPet. Same perfect ball shape. She ate it right back up. Lol

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Rusty was being picky about his food cause he has got tired of it.

I switched his food cause he wouldn’t eat, he loves this food so much he sucks it all back in less than 10 seconds!
All of it gone in 10 seconds and he doesn’t chew it, just swallows it! He will choke/cough after sometimes cause he ate so fast, he won’t eat out of a slow feed dish so he eats out of his regular raised food dish.

He threw up a few times because of this but hasn’t for over a week, and still eats just as fast!

Charlie sounds just like Rusty, doesn’t chew the food, just swallows it!

Rjaworski0097

Reaction score
My June is an 11yr old Frenchie who had same issies and after 41 days in animal hospital and hyetal hernia surgery she was feeling better for about 5months. Now over past month she has developed same issues and cannot keep anything down. Her esophagus becomes inflammed when she vomits and were thinkin her surgery may have came undone. Been a rough time for us.