How to make your dog love their harness or collar?

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
Charlie is 2.5 years old. She has always hated her harness.
She didnt hate her collar until last year when she got pinched by the buckle when we were putting it on.

What are some training exercises that works for you? We're at the point where we've given up and it's just how it is now. When it's time to get the harness, we close all the doors so she cant hide, especially under the bed. She'll usually corner herself in the hallway or inside her den. Once we lay the harness over her back, she'll standup or get out of her den and let us buckle her in.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Charlie is 2.5 years old. She has always hated her harness.
She didnt hate her collar until last year when she got pinched by the buckle when we were putting it on.

What are some training exercises that works for you? We're at the point where we've given up and it's just how it is now. When it's time to get the harness, we close all the doors so she cant hide, especially under the bed. She'll usually corner herself in the hallway or inside her den. Once we lay the harness over her back, she'll standup or get out of her den and let us buckle her in.

For the harness, make it a positive thing and get her used to it.
Maybe start with putting it on her, and giving her a treat(act excited when your gonna put it on her).

Rusty used to hate his harness when he was a pup and I just put it on him 2-3 times a day to get him used to the feel(he used to itch to make me feel bad to hope I would take it off-smart lol).
But if you put it on her when you go for a walk, act excited ask her to come and give her a couple treats after you put her harness on her. And make it a reward, excited, just make it a good thing.

It probably doesn’t help her when she hears a clip noise from putting it on her now but she will learn it’s ok and it’s a good thing when she sees the harness😊

Slowly after you try to make her know it’s something good when she gets the harness on, slowly open 1 door at a time and then eventually don’t close the doors but it shouldn’t take long cause they are smart!

Keep us updated

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I never had this issue sorry no insight…. I can’t even say the word as Cheli goes bananas for walks and rides.