I cut the quick!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
So last night I decided to give Jax's nails a trim, which I have done a few times before, but this time Jax didn't want to sit still and with the first nail clip there was a yelp! I immediately knew I cut the quick and when I looked down, the blood was gushing! I got paper towels to wrap it and apply pressure and it just kept gushing out. I looked up on the internet how to stop the bleeding and read about dipping the claw in corn starch or flour. I did both and neither worked so I finally called the vet (total panic mode now) and she told me to go get Quick Stop. Thank god there is a Petsmart 5 minutes away from me. I raced in my car over there like a mad woman. By the time I got home my BF had bandaged his paw up and most of the bleeding had stopped.

Jax did get a lot of treats out of this cause I felt so bad. I think this experience was more traumatic for me than for Jax! I don't think I will ever try to cut his nails on my own again. :oops:

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Poor Jax, and you. :) Have you tried a Dremel? That's what we use on our Frenchies nails and they work pretty well. I use it on out English bullies too.

mhuinker

Reaction score
Poor Jax, and you. :) Have you tried a Dremel? That's what we use on our Frenchies nails and they work pretty well. I use it on out English bullies too.
[MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION] Yep, that's what we use on Leo and Molly too, the Dremel!! :) Leo doesn't mind it and just sits in my lap while my hubby does the fililng. Molly on the other hand is a wild woman and squirms all around. Just be careful not to hold the Dremel on the nail for a long time, as it might burn/or get hot..... But it works well for us! :) I've never had to trim a dogs nails with nail clippers and am totally paranoid that I too would cut too short. :(

Poor Jax and poor Citty!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am definitely going to get a Dremel now [MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION] & [MENTION=194]mhuinker[/MENTION]! He goes to Petsmart once a month for a bath and they trim his nails with scissors or they will grind them down. I usually tell them to grind them if he will let them and if not, cut them. It all depends on his mood. I have cut them before with no problem but I think I am traumatized now and would be too nervous to do it again so I am throwing the clippers away! I still can't believe the amount of blood that was coming out of 1 nail.

lkclark

Reaction score
I've read that a good way to condition and desensitize the experience for dogs is to simply clip one nail per day. To cuddle them up in your lap, show them the clippers, clip one little nail and then reward with a treat.

It makes it less of an 'ordeal' and more of a daily incident.

Just a thought!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I am a sissy.... $10 at the vet, it is worth the trip :D. Just in case you ever get the quick again... bar soap will stop the bleeding --- press the nail into the bar and it forms a clog

mhuinker

Reaction score
I've read that a good way to condition and desensitize the experience for dogs is to simply clip one nail per day. To cuddle them up in your lap, show them the clippers, clip one little nail and then reward with a treat.

It makes it less of an 'ordeal' and more of a daily incident.

Just a thought!

That's probably a very good way to make them comfortable with the experience! :)

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] - I hadn't heard that one before, but will keep that in mind!! :) Thanks for the tip.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I'm sure this was much harder on you than Jax! We let a vet tech trim our boys' nails!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure this was much harder on you than Jax! We let a vet tech trim our boys' nails!

I think you are right! He usually gets his nails trimmed when he gets a bath at Petsmart or sometimes at the vet and I would just do it in between and normally just trim a tiny bit at a time but now I am traumatized and too scared I will cut the quick again so I will NOT be cutting his nails anymore.

Reaction score
So last night I decided to give Jax's nails a trim, which I have done a few times before, but this time Jax didn't want to sit still and with the first nail clip there was a yelp! I immediately knew I cut the quick and when I looked down, the blood was gushing! I got paper towels to wrap it and apply pressure and it just kept gushing out. I looked up on the internet how to stop the bleeding and read about dipping the claw in corn starch or flour. I did both and neither worked so I finally called the vet (total panic mode now) and she told me to go get Quick Stop. Thank god there is a Petsmart 5 minutes away from me. I raced in my car over there like a mad woman. By the time I got home my BF had bandaged his paw up and most of the bleeding had stopped.

Jax did get a lot of treats out of this cause I felt so bad. I think this experience was more traumatic for me than for Jax! I don't think I will ever try to cut his nails on my own again. :oops:
Yup, a jar of that powder will last for years. It's in the bird isle and it works very well. Keep it on hand :-D

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I'm with you. I have hit the quick several times and just could not handle it anymore. I use the Dremel now. I love it. Much much better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

winginit66

Reaction score
I've gotten Gidget once. Made a flour paste and it worked OK. I also bought a styptic pencil, but haven't had the occasion to use it yet. I have not tried a dremel... Probably because I don't own one!!! Good to know about the bar soap. I'll have to remember to pick one up. I think all we have is liquid around the house. Admittedly, I don't like slimy bars of soap lying around. LOL.

blushy

Reaction score
I got a YELP once, on one nail, didn't cut the quick.

I think it was more of a OWCH THAT WAS A CLOSE ONE yelp.

I quit for the night.

It's a scary experience!

Schimpfy

Reaction score
Chance has only 2 black nails but i managed to hit the quick if he sees the cutters in my hands he runs. Now we get them done at petsmart before our class

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Chance has only 2 black nails but i managed to hit the quick if he sees the cutters in my hands he runs. Now we get them done at petsmart before our class
Chance only has 2 black nails? I didn't know they could be mixed. All of Jax's nails are black.

blushy

Reaction score
Chance only has 2 black nails? I didn't know they could be mixed. All of Jax's nails are black.

Our Pitbull only had 1 black nail.

Isabelle has all clear right now.

Tgirl

Reaction score
Black nails are tricky. I always cut my dogs nails, but then again I do it at work often so it doesn't bother me at all. With black nails just tip the ends off if you are worried about getting the quick. It does hurt if you snip the quick, but the bleeding looks much worse than it is. We have the sticks at work but they burn worse than quicking the nail sometimes. If I were to quick one at home, I'd just stick it in a bar of soap and hold for a few seconds.