I'm afraid I've overexercised Jelly

Mavis

Reaction score
We got Jelly on Friday. He loves our backyard and running with our Chi. He can really race and has been. I have him out many times during the day to pee, and then usually for 2-3 extended play periods (45-60 min.). I was just reading about leash training and they mentioned to NEVER overexercise a dog to the point where they stop walking. I noticed when Jelly was out yesterday and especially today, he layed down several times and chewed something. He has been sleeping a lot today - more than usual - and now I am a nervous wreck. He's discovered the couch with my husband and seems to like it. This puppy is going to be the end of me. When I'm not questioning my ability, I'm worried sick! 😟

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
We got Jelly on Friday. He loves our backyard and running with our Chi. He can really race and has been. I have him out many times during the day to pee, and then usually for 2-3 extended play periods (45-60 min.). I was just reading about leash training and they mentioned to NEVER overexercise a dog to the point where they stop walking. I noticed when Jelly was out yesterday and especially today, he layed down several times and chewed something. He has been sleeping a lot today - more than usual - and now I am a nervous wreck. He's discovered the couch with my husband and seems to like it. This puppy is going to be the end of me. When I'm not questioning my ability, I'm worried sick! 😟

Definitely don’t over exercise him, my breeder recommended no more than 30-45 min at a time. They will just keep playing and end up with too much play.

Let him sleep it off, and try only letting him play for 30-45 min at a time and then make him take a break.

Don’t let him run for 2 hrs after he eats because I know they will want to race around but they can get bloat from running right after eating-so don’t let him until it’s been 2 hrs after a meal.

Keep us updated!

Mavis

Reaction score
Thank you - this is helpful information. Also, when he's out, his favorite place is under the arbor vitae hedge, or in this other evergreen hedge we have next to the house. He goes in both places and disappears. He loves to pull on the arbor vitae limbs, without chewing. It's his game of tug. I don't know what he does under the other hedge, but I'm sure he is either chewing and/or pulling. He's so small, he can get anywhere. Everything goes in his mouth. This afternoon, he was pulling on dead peony stems. I have not corrected him from chewing/pulling outside because I feel like all I do is tell him NO, although I do follow him everywhere and wait for him to come out. He is never unsupervised. I try to distract him with toys but it doesn't work for long inside or out. I praise him softly and lovingly when he does something well. He is making me nuts because he keeps reverting to the same behavior. There are some things, however, that he has learned - he doesn't go after our ankles or run between or in front of our feet. I am better training him than my husband, which is very frustrating because I teach him and show him what works. He has been self entertaining himself now with his toys for about 20 minutes, which is a godsend, and he has periods where he will do this. Petey is on the couch with my husband and Jelly is too little so far to be able to jump up there, so Petey has some respite. I don't like that he is so persistent with Petey, too, and have started to tell him NO when he plays too rough. None of these things I know if I am really doing right. He has made progress in five days, but man.

Has he started teething yet (will be ten weeks on Monday, 4/18)? How long does that last? When sort of do they have a longer attention span and stop chewing everything? All I seem to do is correct him constantly, divert, praise, repeat. 😟

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
For the teething, they usually start around 3 months of age so he might be starting to teeth now. Teething usually end around 7-8 months old.

They usually stop chewing everything when they are done teething(7-8 months of age). Rusty was never a chewer for furniture but I always made sure there is a chew toy(kong teething stick, kong toy that you can freeze with treats and peanut butter in). The cold from it being in freezer overnight with frozen treats and peanut butter in takes longer for them to get thru and the cold feels good on the gums/teeth and will keep him busy and quiet for a bit. Just make sure the peanut butter does NOT contain xylitol which is toxic to dogs, but easy to find it without xylitol.

Sounds like you are doing the rest correct. It can take a bit for them to get used to boundaries for other dogs, and not to chew stuff of yours. He is still a puppy and he needs to learn still.

Just continue the ‘NO BITE’, be ‘gentle’ with Petey, good boy positive reinforcement and short positive training sessions and end on a ‘good boy’!

Don’t let him over play himself, make him settle down(time to settle for 30 min in crate/give frozen kong chew toy to occupy him/afternoon nap).

No more than 45 min of racing around at a time, no racing around until 2 hrs after eating. Give him rubber squeaky toys, or something he loves. That way your not just saying NO or NO bite but your also saying NO bite but here chew this instead. Or ok you have played your 45 min, time to take a break and settle and give kong or put him in the crate to settle down then after 30 min of settled, let him out when he is calm. Get him excited for walks, harness is a good thing, not a bad thing so put it on him with excitement and a bit of time for him to wear In house off and on so he is used to it.

Also another tip:
rub all his paws, this makes him know holding his paws is NOT a bad thing. I did this with all my dogs and that helps when you need to trim the nails, they know you won’t hurt the paws and they will be less reacting if you need to checks his paws, clip nails, or wipe his paws down. Always good experiences with the paws when you rub them. Rusty literally just sleeps on his back while I trim his nails.

Things will get better and it will all be worth it🙂

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, limit to about 40 minutes of play/exercise, but also factor in temperature when outside and lessen as necessary.