Inflamed in between paws

Reaction score
Hi my frenchie has inflamed in between paws in the front only. Doesn’t seem like puss or fluid. Seems like a solid small ball. We soak him in epsom salt to keep the swelling down. Vet said he may need biopsy due to antibiotics are not making the swelling go down. Please lmk if you guys have any experience.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hi my frenchie has inflamed in between paws in the front only. Doesn’t seem like puss or fluid. Seems like a solid small ball. We soak him in epsom salt to keep the swelling down. Vet said he may need biopsy due to antibiotics are not making the swelling go down. Please lmk if you guys have any experience.

Can you attach a photo of what it looks like??

Any allergies symptoms??
Itchy, red skin, bumps/hives, fur loss, licking paws??

What are you currently feeding??

Reaction score
Can you attach a photo of what it looks like??

Any allergies symptoms??
Itchy, red skin, bumps/hives, fur loss, licking paws??

What are you currently feeding??
He’s allergic to chicken. We feed him the Lotus Oven Baked Duck Kibble. He doesn’t really lick his paws. It won’t let me add a photo it says photo is too large.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
He’s allergic to chicken. We feed him the Lotus Oven Baked Duck Kibble. He doesn’t really lick his paws. It won’t let me add a photo it says photo is too large.

If it’s too large photo, I screenshot it and make it as small as I can then it usually lets it attach.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

Any itchy spots on him? Or scratching, red irritated skin, fur loss, or anything like that?

When did the growth on his leg come up??

How long has he been on this kibble and protein?
I ask because some dogs will develop allergies to what they are eating every day because there is no variety.

A photo of it would be beneficial for us to see and if it looks similar to what my dog had before or someone has dealt with a similar growth before.

Reaction score

Attachments

• CEEA9717-22CC-4EE5-9A02-A5F99521B60E.jpeg
    CEEA9717-22CC-4EE5-9A02-A5F99521B60E.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 12

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Does interdigital cyst sound familiar??
Sometimes dogs get them from allergies and from lots of moisture in the paws.

But the red spots on it, look kind of like allergies to me.

Maybe pollen or grasses or certain flowers are a potential issue, as most dogs are flare up for allergies this time of year.
Bovine Colostrum is really good for environmental allergies in dogs, it helps boost the immune system which is what you need.

Apple cider vinegar can help with those I have heard and read.

How long have you been doing the paw soaks for??

My Frenchie has a skin biopsy done a year ago and all it said was ‘chronic inflammatory lesions’ and didn’t tell us it was allergies.

Have they done a swab culture? That might tell them more?

Reaction score
Does interdigital cyst sound familiar??
Sometimes dogs get them from allergies and from lots of moisture in the paws.

But the red spots on it, look kind of like allergies to me.

Maybe pollen or grasses or certain flowers are a potential issue, as most dogs are flare up for allergies this time of year.
Bovine Colostrum is really good for environmental allergies in dogs, it helps boost the immune system which is what you need.

Apple cider vinegar can help with those I have heard and read.

How long have you been doing the paw soaks for??

My Frenchie has a skin biopsy done a year ago and all it said was ‘chronic inflammatory lesions’ and didn’t tell us it was allergies.

Have they done a swab culture? That might tell them more?
I’ll research the interdigital cyst.

I’ve been doing the soak once a day for a week already. The epsom salt helps a lot when it gets really red.

They haven’t done swab culture.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
If you know it’s inflammation there, omega 3 can also help(herring oil, salmon oil) and I would try him on a low carb food cause Carbs that are used in kibble=inflammation which causes all diseases.

If you want a low carb kibble, Orijen is the lowest carb kibble available.

Raised Right lightly cooked dog food, or raw diet would be really beneficial to help his immune system and lower inflammation.

That’s been the most helpful for my Frenchie with very bad allergies. He gets those red spots in his paws when he goes thru a flare up of allergies.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I’ll research the interdigital cyst.

I’ve been doing the soak once a day for a week already. The epsom salt helps a lot when it gets really red.

They haven’t done swab culture.

Could you try the paw soaks twice a day for 1 more week???
Maybe that will make it heal faster, especially since you think it’s helping.
If it is that kind of cyst then the paw soaks should help and improve the immune system and allergies thru diet, for the inflammation.

Reaction score
If you know it’s inflammation there, omega 3 can also help(herring oil, salmon oil) and I would try him on a low carb food cause Carbs that are used in kibble=inflammation which causes all diseases.

If you want a low carb kibble, Orijen is the lowest carb kibble available.

Raised Right lightly cooked dog food, or raw diet would be really beneficial to help his immune system and lower inflammation.

That’s been the most helpful for my Frenchie with very bad allergies. He gets those red spots in his paws when he goes thru a flare up of allergies.
Yea h we give him salmon oil. The red spots just showed up like last week. He’s been on this food for about a year and a half and never seen it before until a week ago. He mainly has the inflamed paws.

Reaction score
Yea h we give him salmon oil. The red spots just showed up like last week. He’s been on this food for about a year and a half and never seen it before until a week ago. He mainly has the inflamed paw
Could you try the paw soaks twice a day for 1 more week???
Maybe that will make it heal faster, especially since you think it’s helping.
If it is that kind of cyst then the paw soaks should help and improve the immune system and allergies thru diet, for the inflammation.
interdigital cyst is fluid filled or solid? When I press on the inflamed part on my dogs paws it’s pretty solid doesn’t seem like fluid is in there. Tissue infection?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Yea h we give him salmon oil. The red spots just showed up like last week. He’s been on this food for about a year and a half and never seen it before until a week ago. He mainly has the inflamed paws.

If you don’t rotate proteins in the food, he has been eating the same protein and other ingredients every day for a year, which is how allergies start, they become allergic to what they eat every day.
That’s why we recommended rotate proteins once in a while at the least.
Maybe he is now allergic to his food.

Carna 4 is also a oven baked kibble and it comes in goat and venison for proteins and it doesn’t use synthetic vitamins, cause it comes from whole food so no added vitamins are needed.

Has he been in lots of grass or pollen lately??

Good that you are giving omega 3.

I would see if continuing the paw soaks maybe twice a day if Possible, for a week, then see how it is.
I recommend you look into Carna 4 oven baked kibble goat and venison proteins, and Orijen kibble.

Then if it’s still not great, see if your vet will do a skin swab culture.

Good luck!
Keep us posted

Reaction score
If you don’t rotate proteins in the food, he has been eating the same protein and other ingredients every day for a year, which is how allergies start, they become allergic to what they eat every day.
That’s why we recommended rotate proteins once in a while at the least.
Maybe he is now allergic to his food.

Carna 4 is also a oven baked kibble and it comes in goat and venison for proteins and it doesn’t use synthetic vitamins, cause it comes from whole food so no added vitamins are needed.

Has he been in lots of grass or pollen lately??

Good that you are giving omega 3.

I would see if continuing the paw soaks maybe twice a day if Possible, for a week, then see how it is.
I recommend you look into Carna 4 oven baked kibble goat and venison proteins, and Orijen kibble.

Then if it’s still not great, see if your vet will do a skin swab culture.

Good luck!
Keep us posted
Thanks so much for your help I will give update in a few weeks!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
My female bulldog gets interdigital cysts periodically. I live in Washington and the grass is always wet which I believe is the cause for hers. When she gets one, I’ll usually do the epsom salt soaks and the cyst is gone in a few days. I’ll also spray it with colloidal silver or Vetericyn wound spray and that helps too.

One time my male bulldog had an inflamed hystiocytoma on the side of the toe.

Both of these are generally harmless but if you can’t get it to go away after a diet change and other treatments, I’d probably do the biopsy.

Mavis

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help I will give update in a few weeks!
I think I would take him for a biopsy, just to rule out anything serious. I don't think it's that expensive. I would just be concerned that it is only on one toe and at the top, not in between, which is where it usually gets red and itchy. If he needs an antibiotic temporarily to clear it, that's an inexpensive treatment, too. Does he chew at it? If negative, then you can continue to treat as you have been. Good luck and please keep us posted.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Without reading all the comments and just going on your original post and photo ---> interdigital cysts. My dog had those when I first brought her home at age 1 from her former owner. She was on chicken kibble. I took her off immediately. Switched her to raw and the cysts disappeared immediately. You don't need to go crazy with making your own raw concoctions...there are many premade complete frozen patties like Primal and Tuckers. Just make sure no chicken products whatsoever, even if you decline trying raw and stay with kibble. It should be a limited ingredient formula. I tried the epsom salt paw soaks (I even had a vet tell me to soak my dog's paws in BLEACH). Nothing worked on these cysts except switching to raw. And they disappeared immediately - like within days.