Inoperable IVDD and Paralysis/Incontinence

oscarsmom

Reaction score
Looking for advice. My dog Oscar was acting weird Sunday night so we took him to the emergency vet. They said he had mild IVDD. Long story short, by Tuesday afternoon, he had lost use of his hind legs and had no deep pain feeling. That same morning he was walking and peeing - it all happened so fast. I can't really go into all the details without crying at this point, so message me if you have questions. The MRI showed the damage was higher than expected to be affecting his hind legs and they could not operate. They had already said his chances of having use of his legs and not being incontinent was about 20%. Without surgery, the chances are about 0. He is still in the hospital being monitored to see if bruising spreads along his spine, in which case he will die. Assuming he can come home in the next few days, can anyone with a paralyzed and incontinent frenchie offer advice? We are learning to empty his bladder, which we have to do twice a day and he can be fitted for a wheelchair in about a month. Is there anyone with a similar experience?

Please know we did everything we could and will do everything we can to make sure he is happy. If he is in pain and unhappy, we will let him go, but I didn't want to make that call without at least trying first. He is my heart.

Thanks in advance.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
First, I am so sorry this is happening to you and your Oscar. Jax was diagnosed in July 2017 with IVDD and needed immediate surgery. He had a herniated disc in his neck. Just shy of a year later (June 2018), another disc in his neck herniated and he got another surgery (2 actually but that's another story). Jax still has use of his legs and bladder. I give CBD oil as maintenance, as well as acupuncture and laser therapy treatments.

Are you on Facebook? I suggest you join a group on there called French Bulldog IVDD Support. There are many people on there in the same situation as you.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or would like to chat further.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no experience but send you tons of love and prayers. Love him and spoil him—- Please keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antbkny

Reaction score
If you need a second opinion, BluePearl in NYC has some of the best neurologists around.

Jeffc

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear this. I will be thinking of Oscar and you best of luck.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
So sorry you and your pup are gong through this. I would definitely get a second opinion before surgery. We will keep him in our thoughts and prayers.