My frenchie suddenly walks slowly

Kai

Reaction score
Hi all
Our frenchie Bow is 5 years all and full of excitement and joy and very healthy no issue so far since we had him from 6 month
Since yesterday morning he started walking slowly and after 10 minutes of walk starts to shiver not sure os it due to cold or snow on ground or not however he is fine as when we patt him he doesn't mind seems he got no pain he is eating and drinking normally and playing as well not as much as before might be cold weather
Can anyone assist please

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
The trembling definitely sounds like pain. Unfortunately Frenchies are at high risk for IVDD which is a disc disease. I would crate him and only take him out to potty and eat/drink until you get him seen by a vet. A neurologist is the best at diagnosing IVDD but you should definitely get him in for a vet visit. It’s also possible he just pulled something.

Kai

Reaction score
The trembling definitely sounds like pain. Unfortunately Frenchies are at high risk for IVDD which is a disc disease. I would crate him and only take him out to potty and eat/drink until you get him seen by a vet. A neurologist is the best at diagnosing IVDD but you should definitely get him in for a vet visit. It’s also possible he just pulled something
Thanks for the details Went to vet and he suggested Metacam for few days and will see how it will go will avoid him jumping and …. Funny enough when he see something interesting outside he walks normally

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the details Went to vet and he suggested Metacam for few days and will see how it will go will avoid him jumping and …. Funny enough when he see something interesting outside he walks normally
These dogs definitely have a high pain tolerance. Jax has IVDD and has had 4 surgeries. He will be in extreme pain but as soon as we get to the vet and he sees people, you would never know there was an issue.

Try the meds and I would do the crate rest for several weeks to see if that helps. Strict rest will allow him to hopefully heal from whatever the issue is. However, if he starts to decline even with the rest, get him to the vet ASAP. If it is IVDD, time is of the essence to help prevent paralysis.

Kai

Reaction score
These dogs definitely have a high pain tolerance. Jax has IVDD and has had 4 surgeries. He will be in extreme pain but as soon as we get to the vet and he sees people, you would never know there was an issue.

Try the meds and I would do the crate rest for several weeks to see if that helps. Strict rest will allow him to hopefully heal from whatever the issue is. However, if he starts to decline even with the rest, get him to the vet ASAP. If it is IVDD, time is of the essence to help prevent paralysis.
Thanks will do, im sure is nothing serious as he quite a drama actor and there is not other symptoms at all , will do this med by friday and if not better will take him to vet

Kai

Reaction score
Thanks will do, im sure is nothing serious as he quite a drama actor and there is not other symptoms at all , will do this med by friday and if not better will take him to vet
Went to vet already and explained him the symptom of slow walking i will oray that is nothing major at all

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hi all
Our frenchie Bow is 5 years all and full of excitement and joy and very healthy no issue so far since we had him from 6 month
Since yesterday morning he started walking slowly and after 10 minutes of walk starts to shiver not sure os it due to cold or snow on ground or not however he is fine as when we patt him he doesn't mind seems he got no pain he is eating and drinking normally and playing as well not as much as before might be cold weather
Can anyone assist please

He could be in pain from a issue in his back like IVDD, does your vet do laser therapy?? That’s really good for pain and inflammation.
It could be a pulled muscle or arthritis in his back or something.

Also is he trembling only when outside in the cold or even when he is in the house??

Try to make sure he doesn’t do any stairs or jumping on or off furniture or the bed, as that can make the back issue and joints worse, if you can.

CBD oil is a natural anti pain and anti inflammatory that some pet stores may carry for when you run out of the anti inflammatory stuff from the vet.

I would also keep a sweater on him if you can cause that keeps them warm if it’s arthritis that gets worse when it’s cold out.

Kai

Reaction score
He could be in pain from a issue in his back like IVDD, does your vet do laser therapy?? That’s really good for pain and inflammation.
It could be a pulled muscle or arthritis in his back or something.

Also is he trembling only when outside in the cold or even when he is in the house??

Try to make sure he doesn’t do any stairs or jumping on or off furniture or the bed, as that can make the back issue and joints worse, if you can.

CBD oil is a natural anti pain and anti inflammatory that some pet stores may carry for when you run out of the anti inflammatory stuff from the vet.

I would also keep a sweater on him if you can cause that keeps them warm if it’s arthritis that gets worse when it’s cold out.
Thanks for the notes and comments
It seem the med worked his much better at home and took him to potty earlier today he was back to normal for first 10 minutes but cold got to him and he wanted to go back we have restricted his movement and trying everything for him to rest is there anything else we can do to help him?

Kai

Reaction score
It seem the med worked his much better at home and took him to potty earlier today he was back to normal for first 10 minutes but cold got to him and he wanted to go back we have restricted his movement and trying everything for him to rest is there anything else we can do to help him?
And yes shivering only outside when is so cold

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

Sounds like he gets cold from being outside, if that’s most affecting his moving, I would be making sure he wears a warm sweater at all times and is only outside to potty and inside immediately to limit him being cold.

If it’s arthritis for example, it gets worse when it’s cold weather. Laser therapy for his back and joints, it’s a fairy cheap per session and some vets do it and sometimes there is people that come to your house and do it, it helps with inflammation and heal the body.
It relaxes them too which is good, Rusty loves it, he gets it done 1 day per month and it only takes about 30 minutes for the lady to laser his whole body, it’s about $40 here where I am. Which is reasonable since it provides relief and healing.

Green lipped mussels is great for joints and arthritis, I give freeze dried green lipped mussels powder. Also I give CBD oil for dogs, you can get it at pet stores sometimes, and it’s a natural anti inflammatory, i find it works better than metacam from the vet and it doesn’t have side effects like the metacam does, it’s also helpful for pain too.

But definitely keep sweaters on him if you can.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
And yes shivering only outside when is so cold

Ok then I would definitely keep a warm sweater or jacket on him when he is outside and very limited outside time so he doesn’t get very cold.