Nare surgery

Mavis

Reaction score
Our Bambi is eleven. We should have had her nares done when we got her at three, however, we didn't. I contacted our vet collective, which is a pretty large practice in Rochester, NY. They refer to nare surgery as a "rhinoplasty," which gave me a little pause for concern. I asked if they did laser and they said no, but they use a cold laser afterward to promote healing. What do you all think of this? Of course, we are terrified of having this done and putting her under anesthesia, but I know she really needs it. Should I shop around?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Rusty had his soft palate and nares surgery a few months ago and I thought laser was the way to go, after searching around to find someone that is good at doing these surgery they didn’t use a laser at all. The surgeon actually mentioned that without using laser it actually heals faster.
Is she getting her soft palate done too??
Rusty’s nares were healed within 3 weeks and they took the stitches out at 2 weeks cause it was healing good. It only took 1 full month and his nose doesn’t even look like it was touched cause it was pink where they had the stitches but now the pink is fully gone and no one would know he had the surgery.
After the surgery it will be worth it cause they can actually breathe much better.
Rusty is my first Frenchie and I was worried so much of having him have this surgery but he came out like nothing happened and his breathing is great now.
Definitely get a surgeon that is experienced in this surgery and is knowledgeable about frenchies.

When they do the surgery, make sure they check her soft palate and the everted largneal saccules too(Rusty had all these done at once) that way you know if the palate needs to be done too, the surgery can be done the same time as the nares. It will definitely be worth it once done😊

Keep us updated!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I might be a little hesitant to put her under and go through that at age 11 but if you do, make sure it’s a vet you trust and is familiar with anesthesia and the brachy breeds.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Since she is 11, I would not do the surgery. She has lived this long without it, so I would let her go without unless it is suddenly causing her a problem for so reason.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree at age 11, I’d be hesitant unless it was causing severe breathing issues. also, rhinoplasty is the technical word for palate surgery