Need Some Opinions on a puppy

snaekeyez

Reaction score
Hello, new poster, thanks for reading.

I had the pleasure of taking care of a friends three french bulldogs for about two years. They were all adults. I later moved away and decided I wanted my own. I live in the tri state and finding a good breeder is tough, there is a lot of milling and scamming, people trying to push hybrid puppies and young puppies imported from god knows where.

I went to a breeders home the other day and got to check out his pups. His sire had two simultaneous litters with two different moms. The sire was a fawn and the mother of the pup im looking at was a pied brindle. There is only one puppy left from this litter, and 3 puppies from the litter with the other mother. This is where I need help. I understand different dogs have different genetics obviously, but the difference between the puppies and the two litters has me wondering. The frenchies from the other mother look much more like a traditional french bulldog, and the female puppy I am looking at carries patterning of a boston terrier. The ears seem a bit pointy to me as well, and she just isnt as pudgy as the other guys. He claims he will deliver akc paperwork when I purchase.

I am going to attach a photo and I want your opinions because I have no experience with frenchie pups and what they look like, if theres a difference male vs female, if their heads change over time, I just want to make sure I am not being had by a frenchie/boston terrier mix. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but for what I am paying I want what is advertized. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 237

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Goodness they are adorable.... as with any breed, they all grow and have different looks. These babies all look French to me because of the square head... best of luck with your decision.

snaekeyez

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate it, I just get anxiety and like I said it is my first puppy

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
@snaekeyez I agree with you, the brindle pied looks to be part Boston. It is too nosy, meaning the nose is too long for a Frenchie, and the ears are too long and pointy. The face is a bit too narrow. Plus why wouldn't the breeder let you see the AKC papers now? If we have pups, and someone comes to see our pups, we always have the papers available for the prospective buyer to look at, we have nothing to hide, and all reputable breeders I know are the same way. When someone seems to hide things, that puts up a red flag for me. Not sure where you are at, but I suggest finding a dog show near you and go there. Talk to the people showing the Frenchies, and see if they have any available or know someone who does have some available, and make sure they show their pups. Most breeders who are serious about breeding and showing their Frenchies will have an excellent bloodline and good healthy pups. You may even have to travel some distance or even fly to pick up your pup, but you will get a great pup in return. I just helped re-home a beautiful 3 year old female who is a retired champion, that the show breeder wanted to place. You can find these beauties sometimes as well, as we as breeders can't keep them all, and will get a litter or two out of a female for show prospects, and then re-home the mom. Take your time, and if you need help please contact me, I will be glad to help.

Last edited:

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Hello, new poster, thanks for reading.

I had the pleasure of taking care of a friends three french bulldogs for about two years. They were all adults. I later moved away and decided I wanted my own. I live in the tri state and finding a good breeder is tough, there is a lot of milling and scamming, people trying to push hybrid puppies and young puppies imported from god knows where.

I went to a breeders home the other day and got to check out his pups. His sire had two simultaneous litters with two different moms. The sire was a fawn and the mother of the pup im looking at was a pied brindle. There is only one puppy left from this litter, and 3 puppies from the litter with the other mother. This is where I need help. I understand different dogs have different genetics obviously, but the difference between the puppies and the two litters has me wondering. The frenchies from the other mother look much more like a traditional french bulldog, and the female puppy I am looking at carries patterning of a boston terrier. The ears seem a bit pointy to me as well, and she just isnt as pudgy as the other guys. He claims he will deliver akc paperwork when I purchase.

I am going to attach a photo and I want your opinions because I have no experience with frenchie pups and what they look like, if theres a difference male vs female, if their heads change over time, I just want to make sure I am not being had by a frenchie/boston terrier mix. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but for what I am paying I want what is advertized. Thanks for your time.

You should ask the breeder to see the AKC papers for both parents, then you will know for sure what you are getting. If he gets weird about it, you'll know something is fishy. It's not an unusual thing to request. just my .02

NALAnoodle

Reaction score
Looks a bit like my Nala but with pointier ears and she's really healthy! The girls do seem more slender and if the nose is a little longer then that could be better for breathing. Will say mines been a tad fiesty so would go for a grey male next time, although I know thy're all different!
Hope this helps a bit! Good luck!!

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I have a Boston Terrier and a Frenchie and I think the face is a bit narrow in the 2nd pic but it looks more like a Frenchie to me. The fact that they won't let you see the AKC papers first makes me feel like something is not on the up & up though so be cautious. She sure is a cute little pup!!