neutering french bulldog need advise

frenchiexx

Reaction score
If I get my 9 month old french bulldog neutered will he have a less stocky head when he grows to an adult?
Or is it in their genetics too have alot of muscle anyway?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
could you elaborate? do you have any studies that show dogs that are neutered have less stocky heads than intact dogs?
You’re probably fine doing it at 8 months but neutering too soon can affect bone growth. I had my Frenchie neutered at 5-6 months but had I known more at the time, I would have waited. He’s 9 now. When I got my bulldog 5 years ago, it was in the contract that I wait as close to a year as possible before neutering. I had a conversation with my vet and he advised waiting as well for bone growth and development.

Mavis

Reaction score
You’re probably fine doing it at 8 months but neutering too soon can affect bone growth. I had my Frenchie neutered at 5-6 months but had I known more at the time, I would have waited. He’s 9 now. When I got my bulldog 5 years ago, it was in the contract that I wait as close to a year as possible before neutering. I had a conversation with my vet and he advised waiting as well for bone growth and development.
I was surprised to hear this recently. Our vet reinforced it several months ago when we took our frenchie puppy in for his first visit. The vet said waiting as long as possible is better. It used to be thought that not neutering caused increased aggression and bad behavior in frenchie puppies. She told us now it is believed that not neutering supports correct bone growth as well as proper socialization, appropriate confidence and diminishes any fear imprinting. Jelly is just over six months old. His behavior has not changed whatsoever to the detriment. We are going to wait as long as possible to neuter.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
If I get my 9 month old french bulldog neutered will he have a less stocky head when he grows to an adult?
Or is it in their genetics too have alot of muscle anyway?

Definitely wait as long as possible to neuter, if I knew this when I got my Frenchie(he got neutered at 6 months) I would have waited if I knew this.

Some people recommended no neutering until after the age of 18-24 months, the longer the better though as it can help prevent joint disease, growth issues, and some cancers too can be prevented.

Mavis

Reaction score
I was surprised to hear this recently. Our vet reinforced it several months ago when we took our frenchie puppy in for his first visit. The vet said waiting as long as possible is better. It used to be thought that not neutering caused increased aggression and bad behavior in frenchie puppies. She told us now it is believed that not neutering supports correct bone growth as well as proper socialization, appropriate confidence and diminishes any fear imprinting. Jelly is just over six months old. His behavior has not changed whatsoever to the detriment. We are going to wait as long as possible to neuter.
Do you give Greenies to Rusty? Do you brush his teeth?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
No I don’t give greenies to any of my dogs, they are NOT safe.

They were causing blockages and the Ingres were not good, some even say they could potentially cause cancer.

I do brush Rusty’s teeth when I remember.

I try to brush his teeth every other day, I am looking into a supplement called Plaque Off it’s a natural seaweed that works thru the saliva preventating new plaque.

I was also giving him Plaque Buster treats, but he became allergic, so I stopped giving them.

Plaque off Dental Treats are also good and work systematically thru the saliva preventating new plaque just like the plaque off powder you add to food.

Do any of your dogs have bad teeth? Or any tartar buildup?
How’s Jelly’s teeth?

Mavis

Reaction score
I'm late to the party, but happened to see this as Jelly is 9.5 mo. My plan is to wait as long as possible after a year to neuter. Anyway, if the breeder had that stipulation in the contract, sounds like you got a good, ethical breeder!!!