New Frenchie, 1st problem!

Suec

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm the very proud owner of a 16 week old Frenchie called Ivy.

We've had her for 8 weeks now and she's such a character, but so stubborn! I'm trying hard to train her but if she doesn't want to do something, ie leave the park after a walk, she puts the breaks on and will NOT walk home. She literally lays down and won't move. I don't want to pull her but I don't want to pick her up either. I've tried making it into a game of chase and running around with her favourite squeaky toy, no joy. I've tried leaving through different exits, she does the same thing. I've tried luring her with food but she got wise to that really quickly. I've tried distracting her in as many ways that I can think of but nothing seems to work.

What am I doing wrong?? Any advice would be gratefully received!

Baer Rios

Reaction score
My 2.5 yr old frenchie still does that, and hes a lot sto ger now. I have not figured it out. I was thinli g of carrying a high pitch squeak toy to use qhen he would do that. Im still going to attempt that, just havent had time to go to the pet store. I cant think of anything else

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmmm...sounds like you have a Frenchie! They can be very stubborn as you have quickly learned. My guy is 7 and will still put on the brakes on when he isn't ready to come home. What are you using on her...a collar or a harness? At that age, I might just pick her up and move her.

Suec

Reaction score
I started with a harness but she seems to walk a lot better with just a collar so I’ve stuck with that. When she’s actually walking she’s great, she’s doesn’t pull and she trots along happily beside me, it’s just the refusal to walk that’s a problem. She also does it when we pass by a friends house. It’s so tempting to pick her up but where does that end?!
It’s funny, I can find videos and advice for most issues online, but not a thing about this! I hoped other Frenchie owners might be my best bet... thanks for responding though!

Suec

Reaction score
Tried the squeaky toy method... she just looks at me as if to say “do you think I’m stupid?”
Thanks for the reply!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds just like a Frenchie for sure! And you tried treats? Is there a high value treat you can try, maybe like little pieces of cheese or something “special?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suec

Reaction score
Cheese is the high value treat I use. It works to a degree but her desire to stay in the park is stronger. She's not massively food motivated so it's tricky. This morning I gave in and carried her out the park. I was annoyed with myself for giving in to her but she loved it and licked me like crazy. Even then, when I put her down she still didn't want to walk. There must be a simple way to solve this problem behaviour, I just wish I knew what it was!!

candy1827

Reaction score
I recently rescued my baby girl Lola and while she's almost 5yrs old has had little to no training in her previous life and came to us. My other dogs I had from puppy and trained them from the start and with her already being older I was prepared for a challenge. I have now successfully taught the command "come" and when she does the stop in her tracks I'm not moving now she comes with little to no trouble sometimes it takes a few times saying the command but considering we just learned it she's doing great.

While I don't like involving food with training since she already has food behavior concerns this one I did use her kibble bc it was a more difficult one to break. Basically get them with collar and leash on inside the house and have them sit facing you. They need to have mastered sitting and staying first bf attempting this. In one hand with leash hold a piece of food hidden and in the other hand use it to wave towards you and say come. When you say the command give the leash a small pull towards you and when she comes reward with the food. Repeat sit stay and come. Reset everytime she comes bf the command and only reward when she listens to your command. After successfully doing this inside you're ready to retrain and reinforce but outside now.

Best of luck, this was a more difficult one, but I'd imagine if you get this down as a puppy your adult frenchie will be less likely to pull these stubborn I'm not moving moments.

Suec

Reaction score
Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll give it a go and see how we get on. I'm well aware this could take some time to fix but as long as I know we're going in the right direction I'm more than happy to persevere.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Welcome; perseverance is an integral component of Frenchie ownership - hang in there!