Nighttime Troubles

ACrop

Reaction score
We recently welcomed a 6 month of Frenchie into our home and he is honestly a joy OTHER THAN the toilet training. He wasn’t used to walks in his old home so doesn’t pee or poo while on a walk and didn’t wee while on the lead at all and only went to the toilet in their garden. Where we live he needs to be on a lead to go out as it’s not secure and don’t want to risk him bolting. We are getting there in the day with little to no accidents while popping out for quick business breaks on the lead but as soon as it gets dark, nothing. I was outside with him tonight trying to get him to go before bed for an hour and a half and he did nothing but stare at every little noise and light. I came back in and he immediately went to pee on the carpet so my Husband stopped him quick sharp and took him out and he still didn’t go. We are trying so hard to keep calm and are just constantly trying and going to get him to go outside in the dark but are facing the same issue every night. We’ve taken him back to basics taking him out regularly after eating, after sleeping and play etc because of the lack of routine in his last home and like I said the day is getting there but the nighttime part feels like it’ll never resolve. I’ve seen people say about crate training but we simply don’t have room for a crate so that’s not an option. Help! Please! It’s making us feel so useless and no one seems to know what to do. :(

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
We recently welcomed a 6 month of Frenchie into our home and he is honestly a joy OTHER THAN the toilet training. He wasn’t used to walks in his old home so doesn’t pee or poo while on a walk and didn’t wee while on the lead at all and only went to the toilet in their garden. Where we live he needs to be on a lead to go out as it’s not secure and don’t want to risk him bolting. We are getting there in the day with little to no accidents while popping out for quick business breaks on the lead but as soon as it gets dark, nothing. I was outside with him tonight trying to get him to go before bed for an hour and a half and he did nothing but stare at every little noise and light. I came back in and he immediately went to pee on the carpet so my Husband stopped him quick sharp and took him out and he still didn’t go. We are trying so hard to keep calm and are just constantly trying and going to get him to go outside in the dark but are facing the same issue every night. We’ve taken him back to basics taking him out regularly after eating, after sleeping and play etc because of the lack of routine in his last home and like I said the day is getting there but the nighttime part feels like it’ll never resolve. I’ve seen people say about crate training but we simply don’t have room for a crate so that’s not an option. Help! Please! It’s making us feel so useless and no one seems to know what to do. :(

Potty training a frenchie does take time, and patience, and lots of praise when he goes outside.
Its especially frustrating when he won’t go on leash.

Do you give him treats and praise when he goes outside immediately every time???
How long have you had him for?

How does he do in the middle of the night? Does he pee in his bed?

if he is really good to potty outside during the day, and you praise him every time, can you teach him to pee on command???
Rusty was a little stubborn to potty train when I first got him at 11 weeks of age, but most of that was cause he didn’t want to go outside in the cold, snow or rain.

Lots of treats and saying “good potty” or “good pee” or good boy! And immediately give a treat he really likes.

When he knows that’s what you say when he goes outside, try saying “go pee” and one he goes say it again and immediately praise him!

I trained Rusty to go pee on command, i say Rusty go pee, and within 30-60 seconds or less he will go, the reason being is if we go out somewhere with him, if there is no grass and only dirt, I still only have to tell him to go pee and he will.

I recommend you try to teach him that while he goes outside during the day, and maybe practice saying that command(go pee for example), while on a leash and then praise him to get him used to it. Then at nighttime when it’s dark outside, maybe bring a flashlight and take him outside and try to see if he will go on command(once he has already learned the command go pee).

ACrop

Reaction score
Yep we do a potty party when he goes outside, and I’ll be honest the first time he went for a pee on the lead I cried tears of joy 😂
And we have only had him a few days but wanted to get some advice to try and nip this in the bud.

He sleeps on our bed with us and he doesn’t pee, and I was surprised that last night he didn’t have an accident on the floor even though the last time he went outside and did anything 5pm so he’s not been in 14 hours! (He did have a tiny accident but that’s when my husband quick sharp took him out and didn’t finish off that wee)

Considering we’ve only had him a few days I think he’s getting on relativity well in the day, I think we’ve had maybe one accident a day which is good going! And yes we praise and party and he looks at us like ooooo yes I’m a good boy and gets all happy.

I know people say something like ‘go potty’ or something but we say ‘go weewee’s’ as that’s what his previous home said so we’ve kept the same and yeah we do that too say before and after!

Yeah teaching on command is a good idea as I think Toast would be the same and wouldn’t go on anything but grass. So to teach a go pee, wee wee command it’s just constant saying it till he goes? As I’m not sure at the moment he’s getting the connection between the words and the action..

Thank you for your lengthy reply, I didn’t think anyone would even answer me! â˜ș

ACrop

Reaction score
Potty training a frenchie does take time, and patience, and lots of praise when he goes outside.
Its especially frustrating when he won’t go on leash.

Do you give him treats and praise when he goes outside immediately every time???
How long have you had him for?

How does he do in the middle of the night? Does he pee in his bed?

if he is really good to potty outside during the day, and you praise him every time, can you teach him to pee on command???
Rusty was a little stubborn to potty train when I first got him at 11 weeks of age, but most of that was cause he didn’t want to go outside in the cold, snow or rain.

Lots of treats and saying “good potty” or “good pee” or good boy! And immediately give a treat he really likes.

When he knows that’s what you say when he goes outside, try saying “go pee” and one he goes say it again and immediately praise him!

I trained Rusty to go pee on command, i say Rusty go pee, and within 30-60 seconds or less he will go, the reason being is if we go out somewhere with him, if there is no grass and only dirt, I still only have to tell him to go pee and he will.

I recommend you try to teach him that while he goes outside during the day, and maybe practice saying that command(go pee for example), while on a leash and then praise him to get him used to it. Then at nighttime when it’s dark outside, maybe bring a flashlight and take him outside and try to see if he will go on command(once he has already learned the command go pee).
Oh and also, flashlight doesn’t work as then he stares/barks at shadows đŸ€ŠđŸ»â€â™€ïž

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Yep we do a potty party when he goes outside, and I’ll be honest the first time he went for a pee on the lead I cried tears of joy 😂
And we have only had him a few days but wanted to get some advice to try and nip this in the bud.

He sleeps on our bed with us and he doesn’t pee, and I was surprised that last night he didn’t have an accident on the floor even though the last time he went outside and did anything 5pm so he’s not been in 14 hours! (He did have a tiny accident but that’s when my husband quick sharp took him out and didn’t finish off that wee)

Considering we’ve only had him a few days I think he’s getting on relativity well in the day, I think we’ve had maybe one accident a day which is good going! And yes we praise and party and he looks at us like ooooo yes I’m a good boy and gets all happy.

I know people say something like ‘go potty’ or something but we say ‘go weewee’s’ as that’s what his previous home said so we’ve kept the same and yeah we do that too say before and after!

Yeah teaching on command is a good idea as I think Toast would be the same and wouldn’t go on anything but grass. So to teach a go pee, wee wee command it’s just constant saying it till he goes? As I’m not sure at the moment he’s getting the connection between the words and the action..

Thank you for your lengthy reply, I didn’t think anyone would even answer me! â˜ș

Sounds like he knows he is a good boy when you praise him when he goes outside.

It takes time, patience and consistency and lots of praise to have them fully potty trained.

He may not make the connection of the words and him actually going, but he will definitely learn it, Rusty didn’t know it immediately either.

For Rusty it took around 3 weeks to have him fully potty trained.

Do you give him treats when he goes outside or do you just praise him with “good boy! “??

Definitely continue taking him outside on a leash to get him used to going while on the leash. Also I recommend trying to take him to the same spot/area that he has peed before as he will smell it in the grass and more likely he will go in that same spot again.

Once he knows when he pees you say “good pee” a couple times with praise and a treat, he will connect the words and the action. Once he knows that, then when you take him outside and you think he is gonna go, say your command “go pee” for example, and while he is going and also when he is done say “good pee” a few times.

Yes once he knows the connection with the word/command and the action, when you know he will have to go, just say the command until he goes and then lots of praise, but if it takes a couple minutes before he goes, make sure you say it again just before he goes.

Is there a outside light you can turn on since the flashlight doesn’t work?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
The bulldog breed can be stubborn especially when it comes to potty training! But since you have only had him for a few days, he will probably need a few weeks to settle and get used to his new home and surroundings. Keep doing what you are doing by starting at the basics with frequent trips outside and treats and praise when he goes.

I have 2 bulldogs that are show dogs so we frequently travel and stay at hotels and it always takes a bit for them to potty at a new location because they are not familiar with the area and so many new smells. Just be patient and give your boy time to adjust and he will get it.

ACrop

Reaction score

It takes time, patience and consistency and lots of praise to have them fully potty trained.

He may not make the connection of the words and him actually going, but he will definitely learn it, Rusty didn’t know it immediately either.

Do you give him treats when he goes outside or do you just praise him with “good boy! “??

Definitely continue taking him outside on a leash to get him used to going while on the leash. Also I recommend trying to take him to the same spot/area that he has peed before as he will smell it in the grass and more likely he will go in that same spot again.

Once he knows when he pees you say “good pee” a couple times with praise and a treat, he will connect the words and the action. Once he knows that, then when you take him outside and you think he is gonna go, say your command “go pee” for example, and while he is going and also when he is done say “good pee” a few times.

Yes once he knows the connection with the word/command and the action, when you know he will have to go, just say the command until he goes and then lots of praise, but if it takes a couple minutes before he goes, make sure you say it again just before he goes.

Is there a outside light you can turn on since the flashlight doesn’t work?

We don’t tend to give treats when he’s been for a wee as he doesn’t tend to eat them outside he tends to mlem them and drop them đŸ€ŠđŸ»â€â™€ïž We haven’t had any accidents in the day today but have taken him out again tonight and he still won’t go at night. There is a light outside but he just stares at it like a bloody moth 😂 We do take him to the same spot every time so we will continue doing that. It just seems like he’s scared to be in the dark but I’m not sure how to combat that. We really want him to start going in the evening before bed as otherwise he’s going to continually have accidents in the evening and then it feels like his toilet training never gets any better. We will keep trying and going the way we are and praising and raising the roof when he does go outside. â˜ș

ACrop

Reaction score
The bulldog breed can be stubborn especially when it comes to potty training! But since you have only had him for a few days, he will probably need a few weeks to settle and get used to his new home and surroundings. Keep doing what you are doing by starting at the basics with frequent trips outside and treats and praise when he goes.

I have 2 bulldogs that are show dogs so we frequently travel and stay at hotels and it always takes a bit for them to potty at a new location because they are not familiar with the area and so many new smells. Just be patient and give your boy time to adjust and he will get it.
Yeah I’ve read they can be quite stubborn, but apart from the toilet training aspect he’s settled really well and seems very relaxed. It’s just the evening toilet time that seems to falter. Like I’ve said above it’s like he’s scared of the dark but apart from getting a massive flood light and disturbing and waking up our whole flat block with it I’m not entirely sure what to do as I can’t walk him and take him elsewhere to more light as he doesn’t poo or pee on walks. We are kinda hitting a brick walk with dark toilet breaks. In the day he’s getting it he really is and I’m super impressed with how far he’s come already.

ACrop

Reaction score

Is there an outside light you can turn on since the flashlight doesn’t work?
Aaaaaaaand we are back to the same problem tonight. Taken him out twice now in the dark and he just stands by your feet or stands staring at the light. He needs to go because it’s hours now since he last went. Ugh don’t know what to do. 😔

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Aaaaaaaand we are back to the same problem tonight. Taken him out twice now in the dark and he just stands by your feet or stands staring at the light. He needs to go because it’s hours now since he last went. Ugh don’t know what to do. 😔

Its hard when they aren’t food motivated to train them, Rusty always loves treats, so training him was a little easier. That’s frustrating when they aren’t interested in treats.

I haven’t heard of them being scared of the dark before.

This may be a step back for training, but my only other suggestion is a fake grass potty training tray. I used one for Rusty for in the middle of the night before he was fully house trained. It’s a tray that you put a pee pad in the bottom(they don’t see the pee pad which is good), but the top of it where they pee on is fake grass, that helps them want to go potty on grass outside.
Then if that’s in the house at night, and he knows to use it, he will pee on that fake grass tray and that’s just temporary so he won’t potty on the floor in your house at night, and continue taking him out during day, then when he knows to potty on command or gets more comfortable in the dark to potty outside or if he will potty on walk where there is more light maybe he will be more comfortable to potty outside instead of the tray in the dark.

Can you try to get him to potty outside in leash on walk where the light is at night, that way he gets comfortable to go on a walk??

ACrop

Reaction score
Its hard when they aren’t food motivated to train them, Rusty always loves treats, so training him was a little easier. That’s frustrating when they aren’t interested in treats.

This may be a step back for training, but my only other suggestion is a fake grass potty training tray. I used one for Rusty for in the middle of the night before he was fully house trained. It’s a tray that you put a pee pad in the bottom(they don’t see the pee pad which is good), but the top of it where they pee on is fake grass, that helps them want to go potty on grass outside.
Then if that’s in the house at night, and he knows to use it, he will pee on that fake grass tray and that’s just temporary so he won’t potty on the floor in your house at night, and continue taking him out during day, then when he knows to potty on command or gets more comfortable in the dark to potty outside or if he will potty on walk where there is more light maybe he will be more comfortable to potty outside instead of the tray in the dark.

Can you try to get him to potty outside in leash on walk where the light is at night, that way he gets comfortable to go on a walk??
We may have to look for treats that are more high value like chunks of chicken or something and see if that works!

And do you mean walk right by the light or go for a walk that’s lit up?

ACrop

Reaction score

He’s pooped on the carpet tonight 😔 Ugh feels so disheartening.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
We may have to look for treats that are more high value like chunks of chicken or something and see if that works!

And do you mean walk right by the light or go for a walk that’s lit up?

My dogs go crazy for Freeze Dried Beef Liver(only 1 ingredient treat) and it’s very nutritious. Maybe try freeze beef liver and see if he likes it?? Chicken will work if he isn’t allergic to chicken.

Either go for a walk where it’s lit up or by the light, whichever you think will work best, as long as it’s not dark. But try to get him used to potty on the leash on a walk, then lots of praise and once he is used to going on walks then try taking him where it’s not dark(either lit up or walk by the light at night whichever you think will work best). But practice during the day to go on walk so he knows it’s ok and it’s a good boy.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW -- it took my guy 2 full years to get it! It truly is patience and consistency. Also, if you are nervous, upset or anxious... he will pick up on that an not be able to focus on potty.... he is focused on your energy. try to be calm and patent. i know it is hard, but I think it is adding to his resistance in going out side. You are already in the frame of mind that it is going to be an issue walking out with him at night, so he picks that energy up and freezes because you aren't leading him, you are giving him fear/anxious . I hope that makes sense...

BellaMay

Reaction score
This is the exact problem with my six month old Frenchie. To get her out in the dark I encourage her with high reward treats. Cooked chicken her favourite. While she sniffs after the treats she ignores the sounds and what’s going on around her and then usually pees. If it’s raining I have stood outside up to half an hour. She’s teaching me a lot of patience.

pespejo427

Reaction score
I have had Piglet for four months now and I am still having trouble house training her. She has good days and bad days. I do have washable wee wee pads, and she has been been fairly good using them, with only an occasional "accident." Getting her outside has been an issue lately. She does not like snow at all, and is not a fan of rain. She has gotten as far as the open door, looked up at me as if to say "you're crazy", and then would run back in the house. If she did go outside, and there was snow all over, she ran right back inside. It was funny to watch her pick up her paws in the snow and try to do her business. In many cases, she would pee outside, then come in and poop on the pad. Also, she gets distracted easily. If she hears my neighbors, or a door close, or a barking dog, she immediately runs back to the house.