Nystagmus

Lee

Reaction score
I hope you never experience this...
My 15 month old Frenchie, Louis, was acting very strange and scary. His eyes were darting back and forth at a rapid rate. He was stumbling and acting drunk. He peed in the house and threw up on his way to the vet. After supportive care, blood and urine tests (which came back negative), we were sent home with the hopes that it wouldn't happen again. We watched him like a hawk for the next few days. Then it happened again! So this time we took him to an emergency facility with a neurologist on staff. They did an MRI and a spinal tap to see if he had a tumor, stroke or spinal infection. Thankfully those were not the cause. It was a bilateral otitis/interna. An ear infection in both ears! So now he's on antibiotics for 6 weeks. After two weeks he is back to acting like himself.
I would love to hear back from this community on how you care for your Frenchies ears! I don't ever want to go through this again! Also, what the cause may have been. Allergies?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow.. that is scary! My guy, we c,ear his ears as needed with Witch Hazel and place drops if we see any signs of irritation or head shaking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I try to clean ears a couple times a month with a solution. Could be caused from allergies or even moisture in the ear. Did he take a bath or get wet at all? What are you currently feeding? Jax got super yeasty after eating lamb before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
That's some scary stuff. We just clean our Frenchie ears with a non scented baby wipes, and that's it.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Mine has developed ear infections if she gets water in her ears or is given chicken. Even if it is only 1 or 2 treats from the vet. I bring my own treats now when I take her in and asked them to make a notation in her records.

Sorry that you experienced something so scary. I also am super vigilant during baths, to make sure zero water gets in her ears. I clean them after a bath with Zymox Enzymatic Ear solution. I even hold an umbrella over her head if it is raining outside on a walk.

Lee

Reaction score
Thank you. Good to know.

Lee

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. His ears did not get wet. I worry that it's a structural problem.

Lee

Reaction score
He's on allergy food now. And his ears are never wet. We also wipe them with ear wipes. Praying this doesn't happen again.