Of course, I pulled the trigger

Mavis

Reaction score
Our sweetest angel, Bambi, passed on Monday, 3/28/22. I got in touch with her breeder and inquired about retired females and puppies, although we haven't had a puppy in many years. She had two recently retired females, both of which she said would not get on well with other dogs. We pulled the trigger on this little guy, "Duke," although that will not stay his name. He's just not a Duke to me. Have to get supplies and will pick him up at the end of the week. I am nervous about a puppy, but he is a complete snuggle bear.

Attachments

• Duke 2 - 3-28-22.jpg
    Duke 2 - 3-28-22.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Duke 3 - 3-28-22.jpg
    Duke 3 - 3-28-22.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Duke 3.jpg
    Duke 3.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 13

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Our sweetest angel, Bambi, passed on Monday, 3/28/22. I got in touch with her breeder and inquired about retired females and puppies, although we haven't had a puppy in many years. She had two recently retired females, both of which she said would not get on well with other dogs. We pulled the trigger on this little guy, "Duke," although that will not stay his name. He's just not a Duke to me. Have to get supplies and will pick him up at the end of the week. I am nervous about a puppy, but he is a complete snuggle bear.

Congratulations on the puppy!

He is SO cute!!!
Thanks for sharing the photos. When you get him, I would love to see more photos of him😊

Hope all goes well with him and your other dog, I know puppies are alot of work in the beginning but it will be very worth it once the house training is done.

Keep us updated on the new puppy!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
You did it…yay! Congrats! He’s a cutie.

Mavis

Reaction score
Congratulations on the puppy!

He is SO cute!!!
Thanks for sharing the photos. When you get him, I would love to see more photos of him😊

Hope all goes well with him and your other dog, I know puppies are alot of work in the beginning but it will be very worth it once the house training is done.

Keep us updated on the new puppy!
God bless; thank you for the vote of confidence. We went and met him on Saturday (4/2/22), and he is a definite cuddler and very low key. I think once he grows out of the puppy stage, he will be perfect. Our other dog is an 11 pound Chi, who is an angel. If you know, when do you get males neutered? Breeder said bet. 4-6 months. Now, I am freaking out about his nares, although they look in better shape than Bambi's every did. He doesn't wheeze. Let the worrying begin!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
God bless; thank you for the vote of confidence. We went and met him on Saturday (4/2/22), and he is a definite cuddler and very low key. I think once he grows out of the puppy stage, he will be perfect. Our other dog is an 11 pound Chi, who is an angel. If you know, when do you get males neutered? Breeder said bet. 4-6 months. Now, I am freaking out about his nares, although they look in better shape than Bambi's every did. He doesn't wheeze. Let the worrying begin!

The earliest a dog should be neutered is 6 months. My vet said no dog should get neutered before 6 months as it can effect the growth of the bones.

I got Rusty neutered at 6 months which was perfect timing cause that’s when he started showing signs of needing to get neutered.

For the nares, I highly recommend getting your vet to open his nares while he is getting neutered. Also, when he is under anesthesia for the neuter and nares, ask your vet to take a photo of his Soft Palate as my vet did that because it’s considered ‘RARE’ for a Frenchie to NOT need the airways done. When Rusty was 6 months and he got neutered the vet just took a photo of his throat so we know how long his soft palate is, turns out it was actually longer than it should have been with enlarged tonsils(they did go back to normal size), but the vet said he will need the palate surgery as it grows with them(the bigger the head, the longer the palate too), but if it isn’t blocking the airway and the breathing is good, it’s recommended that you don’t get the Soft palate surgery before the age of 2 as they are usually done growing at 2 years old.

Rusty needed it and as he was growing, the more symptoms he showed if needing surgery, he needed it at age 2.5 years old(this was last November).
If it gets done before age 2(sometimes you can’t wait due to bad breathing) but if it’s gets done before 2 years old, they will likely need the palate surgery again as it grows back since they are not done growing.

And since you can only check the soft palate while they are under anesthesia, I would definitely have the vet take photo of the soft palate, and have them open the nostrils when he gets neutered as that will help and not cause more palate issues. Having closed nostrils puts more work on the soft palate.
Have the vet send you the photo too of the Soft palate for your records and so you can see it🙂
The soft palate should not be any longer than the tonsils.

Even if his nostrils are not ‘fully closed’ still request the vet to do it when he gets neutered cause they do close over time.

Rusty’s Nostrils we’re open when he was awake but when he was sleeping or relaxed, the nostrils were fully closed.
The surgeon opened his nostrils a little bit more and no more issues hopefully!

With Rusty being my very first Frenchie, I am always worrying when something isn’t right(especially with the nostrils and soft palate).

Your new pup will be spoiled I’m sure!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait as close to 1 year as possible on neutering for growth reasons.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
OMGOODNESS! He is beautiful! Congratulations….

I agree, wait till as close to a year as you can, Cheli was done at 8 months. We had Lambeau nares done at 16 weeks which helped to prevent palate surgery later. Cheli had nares and palate done twice, I’ll have to look up ages as I forget

Mavis

Reaction score
OMGOODNESS! He is beautiful! Congratulations….

I agree, wait till as close to a year as you can, Cheli was done at 8 months. We had Lambeau nares done at 16 weeks which helped to prevent palate surgery later. Cheli had nares and palate done twice, I’ll have to look up ages as I forget
How did you know when it was time to neuter at 8 months? @Cbrugs also with Rusty at six months? Do they become too aggressive or hyper?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
How did you know when it was time to neuter at 8 months? @Cbrugs also with Rusty at six months? Do they become too aggressive or hyper?
It’s best to wait as long as possible to neuter for growth reasons. I had Louie (my bulldog) neutered at 11 months because he started to mark everything in the house. Jax was neutered at 6 months but I didn’t know at the time that I should have waited. Had I known them what I know now, I would have waited.

Mavis

Reaction score
It’s best to wait as long as possible to neuter for growth reasons. I had Louie (my bulldog) neutered at 11 months because he started to mark everything in the house. Jax was neutered at 6 months but I didn’t know at the time that I should have waited. Had I known them what I know now, I would have waited.
Okay, so marking is one indication. I'm assuming mounting, too? I'm just concerned that he will become more aggressive with Petey. Also, he will be eleven weeks on Monday, 4/18. Do you know when his testes will drop?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, so marking is one indication. I'm assuming mounting, too? I'm just concerned that he will become more aggressive with Petey. Also, he will be eleven weeks on Monday, 4/18. Do you know when his testes will drop?
Jax humped a lot before he got neutered.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheli was done at 8 or 9 months… he was given to us by our vet due to owner surrende so our vet di the neuter before we picked him up.