Our lil Frenchie Stella is throwing up 10+ times a day (clear mucus )

StellaLilac

Reaction score
Our Stella is 13 weeks old. She is up to date on all her vaccinations and had her wellness exam. The vet said we have a very healthy lil girl. My question is this..... for hours after Stella drinks water she throws up clear watery mucus. We have tried limiting her water, which does not work. We have also tried a slow water insert and that also does not work. We have an elevated bowl. Is this a Frenchie thing? Will she grow out of it? And most of all is there a way to help her? Any info would really help. It's so hard to watch her throw up so much :( Thank you !

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Our Stella is 13 weeks old. She is up to date on all her vaccinations and had her wellness exam. The vet said we have a very healthy lil girl. My question is this..... for hours after Stella drinks water she throws up clear watery mucus. We have tried limiting her water, which does not work. We have also tried a slow water insert and that also does not work. We have an elevated bowl. Is this a Frenchie thing? Will she grow out of it? And most of all is there a way to help her? Any info would really help. It's so hard to watch her throw up so much :( Thank you !
Welcome!

Sorry to hear she is throwing up so much.

What do you feed her?

Have you had her checked for Elongated Soft Palate??

Did the vet say anything about acid reflux?

Since it’s a while after she drinks water, but it’s watery mucus, it’s bile/foam.

How often do you feed her a day? Do you find she vomits when she is hungry?? Rusty vomits foam like this if he goes too long without eating(breakfast at 9am, dinner @4:00, and needs a snack before bed @10:30pm so he doesn’t vomit in the middle of the night or early morning).

I ask these questions as there is a few things that can cause the vomiting, not necessarily water related doesn’t sound like, if it was the water limit and drinking slow should’ve fixed it.

Food allergy could also be a issue depending on what your feeding her.

Elongated soft palate can cause this too, but she is so young I wouldn’t think it would already require surgery this young. And maybe try to make note of the time she last ate food and how long before a meal is she vomiting.

A good food, and also I highly recommended a probiotic and maybe bone broth(optional), I would 100% give a anti inflammatory probiotic to soothe her gut to help vomiting.

I recommend Adored Beast Gut Soothe for the vomiting or any digestion issue as it has slippery elm and other gut soothing foods in it as well as a high quality probiotic, this soothes inflammation in the body, especially the gut . I always have a jar in my fridge for all my dogs incase they get into something or Rusty if he happens to vomit or digestion issue, it’s very helpful for vomiting, in my experience it’s stopped the vomiting for Rusty, but as long as the problem causing this is addressed.

Maybe try the Adored Beast Brand Gut Soothe probiotic.

If your wanting to add the bone broth it also helps the gut, but i would do this probiotic for sure.

StellaLilac

Reaction score
Rusty's Owner, Thank you so very much for responding to my questions. We feed Stella Bil-Jac food. The vet said she does not have an elongated soft palate :) The vet did not say anything about acid reflux. We feed her at 9:00am, 1:00pm and 5:00pm. I don't think it could be related to being hungry 🤔 We feed her Bil-Jac. I will take note of how long after she eats before she vomits. I will definitely try the probiotic and bone broth that you recommended. Thank you again for your knowledge and information. I am so happy that I joined this forum. No one knows a Frenchie better than an owner. Stella's Owner

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Rusty's Owner, Thank you so very much for responding to my questions. We feed Stella Bil-Jac food. The vet said she does not have an elongated soft palate :) The vet did not say anything about acid reflux. We feed her at 9:00am, 1:00pm and 5:00pm. I don't think it could be related to being hungry 🤔 We feed her Bil-Jac. I will take note of how long after she eats before she vomits. I will definitely try the probiotic and bone broth that you recommended. Thank you again for your knowledge and information. I am so happy that I joined this forum. No one knows a Frenchie better than an owner. Stella's Owner

Since she doesn’t have elongated soft palate, and no acid reflux, I think it could be her food, it has corn and Chicken By product(literally waste from the garbage), and even if it uses some real chicken too, a lot of dogs(especially bulldogs and frenchies) are allergic to chicken and also corn. Those ingredients are common to cause health issues in dogs.

Does she itch, scratch, lick paws or get irritated skin??

Sometimes if they don’t tolerate their food or are allergic, some dogs don’t show the other symptoms I mentioned above, but cause frenchies are prone to health issues, I highly recommend getting her on a better quality food.

High quality brands of kibble:

-Carna 4-has probiotics in it- no synthetic vitamins

-Natures Logic- has probiotics in it, uses whole foods only no synth vitamins. Also doesn’t use legumes or potatoes. This is the lowest carb kibble there is, which is a good thing cause lots of dry foods use tons of carbs that create inflammation and health issues.
It comes in sardine, pork, Turkey, lamb for proteins. I definitely recommend rotating the proteins to prevent new food allergies.

Rusty became allergic to pork from eating it daily for only 60 days and is now severely allergic.

Raw diet is also very good if your open to it?
It’s the healthiest for the dogs, and it keeps them hydrated cause its 70% moisture.

I would definitely recommend switching to a better quality food, and maybe add the probiotic and broth j recommended(I use the Open farm beef bone broth I forgot to mention).

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Also I forgot to list the brands of foods that should be Avoided as they are all fillers/garbage:

-Royal Canin
-Purina
-Hills
-Science diet
- Bil Jac
- anything from the vet and grocery store avoid
-Eukanuba
-Blue Buffalo

Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

Any photos of your Stella?

StellaLilac

Reaction score
Wow ..... thats what the breeder was feeding her so just figured we would keep her on it. But absolutely do not want to feed her garbage crappy unhealthy food. Just ordered her new food, bone broth and probiotic. I'll keep her proteins rotated. Will update how she is doing And pictures posted soon. Thanks Again !

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Wow ..... thats what the breeder was feeding her so just figured we would keep her on it. But absolutely do not want to feed her garbage crappy unhealthy food. Just ordered her new food, bone broth and probiotic. I'll keep her proteins rotated. Will update how she is doing And pictures posted soon. Thanks Again !

Yes most breeders feed the pups the low quality food, my 2 other dogs came home on Eukanuba(same ingredients as the other low quality foods I listed that’s full of fillers) and they BOTH got kidney disease and they were on it for the first 2 years, which was enough to cause damage down the road at ages 5 and 7 they were only given 6 months to live, but with high quality food , they are still here 2 years later.

What new food did you order for her? That’s good your gonna switch to better quality while she is a puppy to prevent health issues🙂

StellaLilac

Reaction score
Yes I agree Rusty’s Owner knows his stuff. The day I changed Stella’s food she stopped the burping and throwing up. So grateful
Thank you for welcoming us ! Looking forward to talking to other Frenchie owners.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Yes I agree Rusty’s Owner knows his stuff. The day I changed Stella’s food she stopped the burping and throwing up. So grateful
Thank you for welcoming us ! Looking forward to talking to other Frenchie owners.

That’s great Stella already stopped the vomiting, that tells us it was the low quality food that caused her vomiting probably she was allergic/really sensitive to the low quality ingredients in it.

Did you also add the probiotic or was it just the Natures Logic food that made the big difference??

Glad she is doing much better.

Keep us updated🙂

Denise Stamm

Reaction score
One of my girls vomits if her tummy is too empty for too long. I feed my girls 2 times a day. At lunch they get carrots (2) fat little pre peeled carrots or 4 skinny ones. You could also give her skinned apple slices. They both get a treat a bed time. She never vomits as long as we follow the " lunch" and bedtime treat.