Overwhelmed with food choices - help?!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I would try turkey, rabbit,pheasant to start with. Later on you can try pork, lamb,venison and beef since those are a bit harder to digest.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
So....we've been through 4 or 5 bags of Primal frozen patties in the duck formula. She's doing very well. What are your thoughts on keeping her on this protein long term? I thought I read somewhere in another thread that you should rotate proteins? Daph eats VE rabbit formula treats and I don't think she is sensitive to it. Should I switch to this protein patty for a while? I saw someone else mention that their dog lost weight on rabbit because it is lean. What's another relatively "safe" one to try if not rabbit? Turkey?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Cheli lost weight on rabbit. Jax has been eating rabbit since he started raw and never had any issues. I will usually give a little more since it’s lean.

And yes, rotating between 3-4 proteins is ideal when feeding raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I would try turkey, rabbit,pheasant to start with. Later on you can try pork, lamb,venison and beef since those are a bit harder to digest.

Thanks! I also need to look further into ordering online to see if I can get the price down a bit at some point in the near future.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheli lost weight on rabbit. Jax has been eating rabbit since he started raw and never had any issues. I will usually give a little more since it’s lean.

And yes, rotating between 3-4 proteins is ideal when feeding raw.

Thanks for refreshing my memory. I knew I read that somewhere on here :)

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I also need to look further into ordering online to see if I can get the price down a bit at some point in the near future.

- - - Updated - - -

You can also look to see if you can find a raw feeding co-op in your area.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score

- - - Updated - - -

Here's one Yahoo raw dog food group you could join https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CarolinaRawDogs/info

I was just now reading about chronic wasting disease ( similar to mad cow disease in cows ) found in some wild deer and elk, so I won't be feeding any venison to my dog.

kpromero

Reaction score
Rosie loves her Steve's Real Food and I order Beef, Pork, and Turducken and switch out bags as one is completed. Love the nugget size and each evening I measure out for the next day and store in a small Tupperware container. She has been on raw for over 2 years now and still gets a few bumps from allergies around August - October that we try to keep in check with GentaSpray

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Rosie loves her Steve's Real Food and I order Beef, Pork, and Turducken and switch out bags as one is completed. Love the nugget size and each evening I measure out for the next day and store in a small Tupperware container. She has been on raw for over 2 years now and still gets a few bumps from allergies around August - October that we try to keep in check with GentaSpray

Thanks for this info!

olouttt

Reaction score
When it comes to picking best canned dog food, go with whatever works for you and your dog. Feed both canned sometimes and kibble and some together. This way his system will be used to it. If at times you want someone else to feed them. Wellness Core is a very good food. Also big on rotating the different meat proteins.