Please help. Bald spot/hair thinning

Lily the frenchie

Reaction score
Hi there everyone Iā€™m new to this forum. My 1 year old frenchie has some kind of coat condition that the vet canā€™t figure out. Every time I take her in, the vet just gives her some kind of injection saying itā€™s for allergies of the skin to stop inflammation. But she doesnā€™t have any inflammation or scabs or any redness, just a spot on her leg thatā€™s been thinning out. She doesnā€™t seem itchy, seems like the bald spot doesnā€™t bother her in any way. Iā€™ve been feeding her orijen dog food since a puppy, itā€™s the original flavor that has chicken I think. Is there anyone on here who has had this problem or knows what it can be ? Skin scrape said no mange. AC651CAF-31BA-4117-984D-33369A95D314.jpegAC651CAF-31BA-4117-984D-33369A95D314.jpeg024149C6-8132-4AAB-B3AD-28517947AED1.jpeg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Has the vet done a skin scrape to rule out mange/mites?

Also, Orijen is a great food, but chicken might not agree with herā€¦ however, with no signs of itching or other symptomsā€¦. I make sure the vet did a scrape.

What shot is the vet giving?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I would take the pup off the chicken formula and try a different protein. Curious as to what injection the vet is giving?

Lily the frenchie

Reaction score
Hi I changed her over to the orijen regional red which is beef, wild boar, lamb and pork. She got the cytopoint injection from the vet even though I told the vet that she doesnā€™t itch or have any irritation

Lily the frenchie

Reaction score
Has the vet done a skin scrape to rule out mange/mites?

Also, Orijen is a great food, but chicken might not agree with herā€¦ however, with no signs of itching or other symptomsā€¦. I make sure the vet did a scrape.

What shot is the vet giving?

Yes the vet did a scrape and said no mange. I did change her over to the regional red formula that is poultry and grain free. The vet did a cytopoint injection but from what I read that is for dogs that are itchy with irritation and inflammation which my dog doesnā€™t have any of those. Honestly this vet is a quack. Before we even went into the exam room he was already standing in there with the cytopoint injection in the syringe ready to go, he just wanted his $145. Iā€™m so lost trying to find a good vet here

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the vet did a scrape and said no mange. I did change her over to the regional red formula that is poultry and grain free. The vet did a cytopoint injection but from what I read that is for dogs that are itchy with irritation and inflammation which my dog doesnā€™t have any of those. Honestly this vet is a quack. Before we even went into the exam room he was already standing in there with the cytopoint injection in the syringe ready to go, he just wanted his $145. Iā€™m so lost trying to find a good vet here

Yes, my bulldog gets Cytopoint shots monthly, he is allergic to everything green so it does wonders form him.

Where are you located, maybe there is a recommendation of a vet near you on our sister site, English bulldog news.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I like to feed single protein because then itā€™s easier to know if there is an issue with one. Cytopoint is more for environmental allergies, not food issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lily the frenchie

Reaction score
So far Iā€™ve changed her food to chicken free about 9 days ago and havenā€™t let her go in any grass but no noticeable change. Are there any vitamins or probiotic supplements that can possible help for hair loss/ allergy issues ?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
So far Iā€™ve changed her food to chicken free about 9 days ago and havenā€™t let her go in any grass but no noticeable change. Are there any vitamins or probiotic supplements that can possible help for hair loss/ allergy issues ?

It is always good to as a probiotic... raw goatā€™s milk, keifer, sauerkraut or Herbsmith Microflora

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hi I changed her over to the orijen regional red which is beef, wild boar, lamb and pork. She got the cytopoint injection from the vet even though I told the vet that she doesnā€™t itch or have any irritation

Getting off chicken was a great move and even though Orijen is a high quality kibble, that formula still has multiple types of protein. I would personally try a limited ingredient formula that just has a single protein and go from there (Zignature has this). Duck tends to be a safe protein for many. Since she isn't itchy, it could just be seasonal hair loss like alopecia. Not having a good feeling about the vet, it is a wise choice you have made to find someone else.