Please help me with YEAST problems

harvey

Reaction score
I'm sorry in advance for going into too much detail, but I wanted you to know the entire background of our yeast problems. I bought my frenchie at 8 weeks old and the breeder fed him Purina Pro. I noticed at about 3 months he started to have tear stains. I researched and switched him to a grain-free diet. I was using Orijens and the tear stains disappeared in 6 weeks. Approximately 8-10 weeks after being on the Orijens, he developed yeast and he has never recovered. He has been tested at the vet and it is yeast. He is pink/red in his armpits and around his private parts. His ears are typically not yeasty and his paws have a little yeast now and then. He's 100% all the time pink (if not red) under his arm pits and around his private parts. The other symptom is that he stinks. The vet gave me two rounds of antibiotics and steroids. The only thing that will keep his yeast under control is 1/2 steroid pill a day. I did a lot of research on yeast and decided to change his diet to Nature's Instinct so that he's now on a grain-free, potato free, chicken free diet. I read that too many starches could be the reason for his yeast, so that's why I changed his food. He also takes one NuVet vitamin a day. He adjusted to the new diet fine, but 5 weeks later, the yeast is still there. I haven't tried adding apple cider vinegar to his food yet, but I will start that tonight. Does anyone have any advise or suggestions? I've read about allergy testing.., but from what I've read, it's expensive and not helpful. My current vet is old and he definitely has "old-school" methods. He doesn't think the 1/2 steroid a day is bad for him, but I disagree, plus I'm sure he will become immune to the steroid eventually. Harvey is now 13 months old and I can't keep him on steroids forever. Can you tell me what my step should be? Should I ask my current vet for allergy testing, or should I change vets all together and go see a pet dermatologist? Are there specific tests I should ask for to get to the cause quickly? Thank you for your help!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I would see a dermatologist. I know vets poo-poo allergy tests because of false positives, but the blood allergy test really helped us with food selection. Our English Bulldog, now 10 years old, is allergic to most meats. He eats Natures Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Turkey and does very well!

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Both of mine have allergies and can get stinky. I bathe them once per week with Douxo Chlorhexidine and it helps a ton and their coat is nice and shiney. I also wipe mine down after walks with the Honest Co. baby wipes
I would not give him steroids long term because you will be faced with issues down the road. You could try an elimination diet with him to see if he improves. Allergy testing is an option, but if he has environmental allergies then you will be faced with giving him allergy shots, which are not very effective. You can also try Nutriscan for food intolerances.
I have done it all and allergies can be very difficult to manage, but don't give up until you find what works for your pup. Good luck!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I would change vets and look into a dermatologist as well... could be the allergy is environmental and changing foods is not necessary -- or he could be allergic to the processing of the food and raw might be the way you need to go. We did allergy testing on our Bulldogs and they all had some food allergy but lots of environmental which results in us wiping paws and bellys after being outside each time. Keep in mind, you have to have him off of steroids for a full 30 days before you can do the blood allergy tests or you will get false negative results.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I would try the Apple Cider Vinegar, it seems to help in some cases. Definitely won't hurt anything.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Also, raw dog food is supposed to be good for dogs suffering from yeast. You can try single protein kibble dog foods such as duck, pork, beef, fish and give them at least a 4 week trial to see if yeast gets better. ( Chicken tends to be the protein most dogs are allergic to. ) Also try to get both grain free and potato free. I agree with not giving a steroid for long periods of time since it can cause diabetes, osteoporosis, cataracts, immunosupression, possible necrosis of the femur where it meets the hip, stomach ulcers, and YEAST overgrowth. Don't give any snacks with any carbohydrates ( which feed the yeast ) . Make sure you give a good dog probiotic such as Proviable DC.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I know exactly what you are going through! Jax developed environmental allergies very early on, just before he turned 1 (he turns 4 in April). I had tried several different brands of kibble, nothing worked. I did take him to a dermatologist and they did an intradermal skin test and he is allergic to everything green outside (trees, grass, weeds, shrubs, etc. plus dust mites). I say he is allergic to life. He's been on allergy shots since then as well as daily Apoquel. He cannot go without the Apoquel otherwise he is a mess. I'm actually going to stop the allergy shots to see if there is a different. I switched him to raw in November 2015 and it has definitely helped. Since you have already gone to a chicken, grain and potato free kibble, you may want to steer clear of peas too. Also, there may be fruits or veggies in the kibble that can be causing the yeast as well.

Like [MENTION=600]Jakeyjake[/MENTION], I give Jax a bath with a medicated shampoo every weekend and that helps. Whenever he does get yeasty under his arms or his inner thighs, I use a combination of these wipes daily - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...fl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A25JWFYNDVVI0A followed up with this spray - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037Z6VLM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER and within a few days there is improvement and eventually it's gone. Sometimes I will do a povidone iodine wipe down as well (dilute water with iodine until color of iced tea, get cotton ball or pad and wet with solution, then wipe pits, infected area). Knock on wood, but ever since I have done this I have never had to go back to the vet for another yeast issue. I have always been able to get rid of it myself.

I know it can be frustrating but once you figure out what is causing the problem, it is easier to manage. Good luck!