Poop eater ... how can i stop this :(

Lalique

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an 8 month old frenchie and i have her since she was 3 months old. When she arrived she used to poop and leave it there alone until we picked it up, no issues at all. At 4 months we started to leaving her alone, because we had to go to work. We had to leave her when we left for work for 3-4 hours then at noon me or my wife came to feed her and stay with her for a bit, then back to work for 3-4 more hours. Not ideal, but at the time we could not use a puppy daycare place to leave her since she didn't have all her vaccines.

So we noticed that she started to eat her poop and we thought it was for the separation anxiety or boredom. We took vacations to stay with here the entire day and keep her from eating poop and then 4 months later and after 3 months of been in quarantine we are unable to make her stop eating her poop.

I dont think right now its about boredom, she just likes it and a lot apparently. She knows she is doing wrong because she waits for us to be distracted and in a matter of seconds she hides, poops and eat it. She even hold it and come check on us a couple of time to make sure we are busy. If she goes when we are looking at her, she leaves it there but just lie down in front of it like yearning to eat it until we pick it up. At night i have to put her bed on the cage so she wont do it in the middle of the night.

I really dont know what to do .. any tips?

Ive tried ..
1. Putting pumpkin, pineapple, meat tenderizer (not msg), lemon juice on her food an nothing
2. I know her schedule, and we keep an eye on her as much as possible but really its impossible to watch her ALL the time specially when we are working.
3. We clean it as soon as she does it.
4. Taught her the command leave it and praise her when she leaves it alone
5. We give her a good food, we feed her Acana red meat formula, we tried different flavors. Her snacks are either Acana treats or carrots or apple or peanut butter.
6. We give her daily probiotics and vitamins
7. She doesn't have parasites, we have her checked monthly
8. We play constantly with her. Sadly we dont take her out much because of the quarantine.

Any ideas of what can we do to stop her from doing this? Its pretty frustrating and disgusting for us :(

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
lalique.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an 8 month old frenchie and i have her since she was 3 months old. When she arrived she used to poop and leave it there alone until we picked it up, no issues at all. At 4 months we started to leaving her alone, because we had to go to work. We had to leave her when we left for work for 3-4 hours then at noon me or my wife came to feed her and stay with her for a bit, then back to work for 3-4 more hours. Not ideal, but at the time we could not use a puppy daycare place to leave her since she didn't have all her vaccines.

So we noticed that she started to eat her poop and we thought it was for the separation anxiety or boredom. We took vacations to stay with here the entire day and keep her from eating poop and then 4 months later and after 3 months of been in quarantine we are unable to make her stop eating her poop.

I dont think right now its about boredom, she just likes it and a lot apparently. She knows she is doing wrong because she waits for us to be distracted and in a matter of seconds she hides, poops and eat it. She even hold it and come check on us a couple of time to make sure we are busy. If she goes when we are looking at her, she leaves it there but just lie down in front of it like yearning to eat it until we pick it up. At night i have to put her bed on the cage so she wont do it in the middle of the night.

I really dont know what to do .. any tips?

Ive tried ..
1. Putting pumpkin, pineapple, meat tenderizer (not msg), lemon juice on her food an nothing
2. I know her schedule, and we keep an eye on her as much as possible but really its impossible to watch her ALL the time specially when we are working.
3. We clean it as soon as she does it.
4. Taught her the command leave it and praise her when she leaves it alone
5. We give her a good food, we feed her Acana red meat formula, we tried different flavors. Her snacks are either Acana treats or carrots or apple or peanut butter.
6. We give her daily probiotics and vitamins
7. She doesn't have parasites, we have her checked monthly
8. We play constantly with her. Sadly we dont take her out much because of the quarantine.

Any ideas of what can we do to stop her from doing this? Its pretty frustrating and disgusting for us :(

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 13991

I’ve never had the issues, these article may help

https://search.mercola.com/results....op?&dt=Pet Articles#stq=Why Do Dogs Eat Poop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lisamarie

Reaction score
Our Louie was a poo eater and we tried all the same, so frustrating! We ended up getting a product called Forbid at the vet too. (Little powder packets to sprinkle on food) He stopped but I donno if it was the stuff we put his food or consistently cleaning it up before he had a chance to consume it[emoji2368][emoji2368]

Best of luck[emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
So cute yet so gross lol.

I have no solution for you but can somewhat relate. There's a lot of rabbits around here. Our dog wants to catch one sooooooo bad. But she settles with eating their poop. The ones I see on the sidewalk I can anticipate and say leave it. It's when she's walking in the grass and I miss a pile.

She's picky about the poop too. Some she'll spit out. Some start chewing. Wish she was this excited about her kibble. I joke saying we can save a bunch of money and just collect the rabbit poop for food.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
We tried everything with one of ours, and the only thing that works is pick it up as soon as they go. He would still try to get at some of the others right before we clean it up and I would tell him "NO!!!" Now he is getting better and most times will leave it alone as he knows it is bad, but we still have to watch him. So my advice is clean it up the second he goes.