Possible Allergies? Hives / Hot Spots

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Hello All,

Little Back History. Back on late June I noticed 2 or 3 little bumps coming up through my dogs fur on his back. I didn't really think much of it as he has never had any skin issues.

On 07/11/2018 I took Benny to the Vet and they prescribed Simplicef 100mg (One Tablet every 24 hrs for 7 days) and Prednisone 10mg (0.5 tablet every 12hrs for 5 days, 0.5 tablet every 24hrs for 5 days and finally 0.5 tablet every 48 hrs for 12 days)

The bumps progressively got worse and more started to appear. Once I noticed what I now to believe to be a hot spot, I freaked out and took my dog back to the Vet.

I noticed his First (what I believe to be) Hot spot on 08/16/2018 - Which was red, almost looked bloody however to the touch got no blood on my finger.

All of his fur-less spots now are no longer red.

He now has about 10 spots on his body. Most of them have no fur, some are kind of clumped together fur, that is hard to move back and look at the skin (Kind of like it is hair sprayed down - fur is stuck together in like a clump)

He also has a Irritation on the top of his tail.

Benny has been on the same brand of food since 8 weeks old - he is now 3yrs old. That Brand is Fromm. I recently switched him over to Fromm Grain Free. I will toss in things like Bananas, Apples, Cucumbers, Broccoli, Watermelon into his kibble. The only thing that has changed in his environment was last December, we moved to a house surrounded by woods, also there are 14 chickens that roam freely.

As of last week, we were back to the Vet (a new one - much better) and they prescribed Clindamycin 75mg twice daily, as well as Douxo Chlorhexidine Shampoo that is to be used every 2-3 days.

He was Negative for a flea comb

I postponed Allergy testing because of the cost however I may opt for that soon if he does not improve

He does not really seem to be getting any better nor worse. Just looking for some suggestions.

Thank you!

IMG_4447.jpg

IMG_4446.jpg

IMG_4443.jpg

IMG_4442.jpg

IMG_4441.jpg

IMG_4432.jpg

IMG_4431.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t think those are hot spots. Was he scraped and tested for staph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I don't understand why vets over prescribe so much- if they think it's staph and prescribe simplicef,which is a very broad spectrum cephalosporin, why would they prescribe prednisone, which is for an allergy? If you went to your family physician with a skin infection there is no way they would give you anything besides an antibiotic.

I think you need to build up your dog's immune system. Try switching immediately to a commercial frozen raw food, eg. Answers Detailed turkey formula,or any other company, but proteins should preferably be duck or rabbit or turkey or fish based. Beef, lamb, pork are harder for dog to digest, so not good ones to start with. If you get a pure formula with just meat and organs , then you will need to add your own sea kelp, about 1/8 tsp twice daily, eg. https://www.amazon.com/Starwest-Botanicals-Organic-Powder-Pound/dp/B004XIS14M , and fish oil eg. krill oil from capsules, or salmon oil from capsules.

Give your dog a good doggie probiotic such as Proviable DC or Probiotic Miracle, or milk kefir, or live sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store.

Give your dog an antihistamine daily eg. cetirizine (Zyrtec) 0.5 mg/pound once daily

Organic virgin coconut oil is also good for skin, eg. 1 tsp twice daily ( build up to this )

Ground turmeric powder 1/4-1/2 tsp per day ( build up to this ), mixed with both meals. It doesn't get absorbed well so add some fresh ground pepper

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
I don't understand why vets over prescribe so much- if they think it's staph and prescribe simplicef,which is a very broad spectrum cephalosporin, why would they prescribe prednisone, which is for an allergy? If you went to your family physician with a skin infection there is no way they would give you anything besides an antibiotic.

I think you need to build up your dog's immune system. Try switching immediately to a commercial frozen raw food, eg. Answers Detailed turkey formula,or any other company, but proteins should preferably be duck or rabbit or turkey or fish based. Beef, lamb, pork are harder for dog to digest, so not good ones to start with. If you get a pure formula with just meat and organs , then you will need to add your own sea kelp, about 1/8 tsp twice daily, eg. https://www.amazon.com/Starwest-Botanicals-Organic-Powder-Pound/dp/B004XIS14M , and fish oil eg. krill oil from capsules, or salmon oil from capsules.

Give your dog a good doggie probiotic such as Proviable DC or Probiotic Miracle, or milk kefir, or live sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store.

Give your dog an antihistamine daily eg. cetirizine (Zyrtec) 0.5 mg/pound once daily

Organic virgin coconut oil is also good for skin, eg. 1 tsp twice daily ( build up to this )

Ground turmeric powder 1/4-1/2 tsp per day ( build up to this ), mixed with both meals. It doesn't get absorbed well so add some fresh ground pepper

Thank you for all of the great suggestions. Can I switch him directly from Kibble over to Answers Detailed turkey formula, or does it need to be gradual?

He has been on Benadryl 25 mg twice daily for about a month now.

Should I mix in the Coconut Oil with the Detailed turkey formula with both meals?

Also, is a probiotic recommended in editions to the Detailed turkey formula? If so, how much should I give and how frequently?

Thank you!

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
Personally, I would fast for 24 hours and then switch cold turkey, but some people prefer to transition slowly.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would probably have him checked for staph as well. When I switched Jax to raw, I just went cold turkey and never had any issues. Some people will transition but it's totally up to you.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I will have him tested for staph. I have an appointment for 09/13/2018 (Is this too far out? Soonest I could get him in)

Also, does everyone recommend the "Answers Detailed turkey formula" - Is this a solid raw food solution? I found a place close by that carries it and plan to pick it up after work. Do I want the Frozen Patties? Does this contain everything he needs or should I still Include: a good doggie probiotic, Organic virgin coconut Oil, Ground turmeric powder?

When I switch him to "Answers Detailed turkey formula" - Does he still need some Kibble? Something to keep teeth clean?

Lastly - What is staph?

Thanks everyone!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I will have him tested for staph. I have an appointment for 09/13/2018 (Is this too far out? Soonest I could get him in)

Also, does everyone recommend the "Answers Detailed turkey formula" - Is this a solid raw food solution? I found a place close by that carries it and plan to pick it up after work. Do I want the Frozen Patties? Does this contain everything he needs or should I still Include: a good doggie probiotic, Organic virgin coconut Oil, Ground turmeric powder?

When I switch him to "Answers Detailed turkey formula" - Does he still need some Kibble? Something to keep teeth clean?

Lastly - What is staph?

Thanks everyone!

Staph is a bacterial skin infection.

Answers is an excellent brand. I like the patties over the carton simply because when I defrost the carton, it leaks blood and is just messier to scoop out. I know Answers has a raw goat's milk and fermented fish stock which are great for digestion so if you used those, there really isn't a need to add in another probiotic. I like to rotate between the milk and the fish stock.

For teeth cleaning, you can give frozen raw marrow bones.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Staph is a bacterial skin infection.

Answers is an excellent brand. I like the patties over the carton simply because when I defrost the carton, it leaks blood and is just messier to scoop out. I know Answers has a raw goat's milk and fermented fish stock which are great for digestion so if you used those, there really isn't a need to add in another probiotic. I like to rotate between the milk and the fish stock.

For teeth cleaning, you can give frozen raw marrow bones.

Thank you! I will see if they also have the Answers raw goat's milk and fermented fish stock. How is that given? With the Raw Patties? In a drinking bowl?

So just to confirm, I should be switching Benny Off of From Kibble, to: Answers Detailed turkey formula with the addition of raw goat's milk and fermented fish stock.

Thank you!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Thank you! I will see if they also have the Answers raw goat's milk and fermented fish stock. How is that given? With the Raw Patties? In a drinking bowl?

So just to confirm, I should be switching Benny Off of From Kibble, to: Answers Detailed turkey formula with the addition of raw goat's milk and fermented fish stock.

Thank you!

If you are getting Answers detailed formula it already includes fermented cod liver and either kambucha or goats milk, so I don't think you need to pay extra for those. If you get the Answers straight formula then you would buy those since it's only Meat, organs, ground bone, raw cultured whey, sea salt.

You should still add turmeric powder and some ground pepper, and a small amount of organic virgin coconut oil since it doesn't have any. You don't need any probiotic if you are giving kambucha or raw goats milk.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score

Lastly - What is staph?

Thanks everyone!

My dogs absolutely love Answers products, but neither of them are really a fan of the turkey. Go figure.

I use the cartons because it really cuts down on expenses, and it's easier to adjust portions. The cartons (especially the pork) do leak when you defrost them, like Cbrugs said, but I just set the carton in a glass baking dish (which I later dump the product into) while defrosting. If you do think that allergies are an issue, you might want to consider the Straight Formula, basically just has the protein in it. Just a thought. I have used both.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
My dogs absolutely love Answers products, but neither of them are really a fan of the turkey. Go figure.

I use the cartons because it really cuts down on expenses, and it's easier to adjust portions. The cartons (especially the pork) do leak when you defrost them, like Cbrugs said, but I just set the carton in a glass baking dish (which I later dump the product into) while defrosting. If you do think that allergies are an issue, you might want to consider the Straight Formula, basically just has the protein in it. Just a thought. I have used both.

I really do not think its food Allergies, as the only change within the last 10mo has been his environment. He has had probably every flavor available from Fromm - as he has been on it around 3yrs at this point - however anything is possible.

Looking at images - a staph infection seems probable. Doing some research, it seems Clindamycin "Which he has been on for a week" is prescribed for staph infection's, correct?

I will still get him tested. Is it OK if I wait until the appointment I have scheduled for the 13th, or is it critical he gets in ASAP for the Staph Test?

Thank you!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
If he's doing better on the clindamycin you don't need to get him tested. If he's not, it's probably a good idea as he could have MRSA ( methicillin resistant staph aureus ) and you might need a different antibiotic.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
If he's doing better on the clindamycin you don't need to get him tested. If he's not, it's probably a good idea as he could have MRSA ( methicillin resistant staph aureus ) and you might need a different antibiotic.

It has only been 10 days so far. He his condition seems to be about the same as it was 10 days ago.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
It has only been 10 days so far. He his condition seems to be about the same as it was 10 days ago.

It should have been working by now. I think a culture with sensitivies would be useful to know if you need a different antibiotic, or any antibiotic at all.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
It should have been working by now. I think a culture with sensitivies would be useful to know if you need a different antibiotic, or any antibiotic at all.

By working, what should I be seeing? I assume his fur will take some time to grow back. Either way he will be seeing the Vet again on the 13th. What is a “culture with sensitivies”? Is that in relation to Staph?

Side note. As we speak (or type) Benny is going to town on his new Answers Detailed Turkey Forumla. I am just a bit concerned on the cost. It was $30 for 8, 8-ounce patties. From the feeding instructions and him being 28lbs, I am ballparking around one patty a day. That’s going to be around $100mo in food. Can this be ordered online cheaper? Perhaps mix half Answers Detailed Turkey Forumla with 1/2 Fromm grain free kibble? Suggestions? Thanks!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
By working, what should I be seeing? I assume his fur will take some time to grow back. Either way he will be seeing the Vet again on the 13th. What is a “culture with sensitivies”? Is that in relation to Staph?

Side note. As we speak (or type) Benny is going to town on his new Answers Detailed Turkey Forumla. I am just a bit concerned on the cost. It was $30 for 8, 8-ounce patties. From the feeding instructions and him being 28lbs, I am ballparking around one patty a day. That’s going to be around $100mo in food. Can this be ordered online cheaper? Perhaps mix half Answers Detailed Turkey Forumla with 1/2 Fromm grain free kibble? Suggestions? Thanks!

You could try mypetcarnivore, they deliver https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/?lang=en . They seem to have a lot of out of stocks of the bulk ground product when I looked just now, but ground rabbit was available, for an example.

They recommend adding sea kelp twice a week and Grizzly salmon oil since they don't supplement their products.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score

Jax gets 100% raw but my bulldog Louie gets Zignature in the morning, which is a limited ingredient, single protein kibble, and then he gets raw for his evening meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honeys Owners

Reaction score

Culture with sensitivities means they grow out the bacteria from a wound swab to identify which type, if any, grow, and to which antibiotics the bacteria are sensitive to. eg. staph aureus is usually sensitive to cloxacillin and clindamycin and cephalexin and amox/clav whereas methicillin resistant staph aureus is usually sensitive to far fewer antibiotics, mainly to intravenous vancomycin and sometimes to oral trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole.