Potentially suffering with IVDD

Winston2022

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to this site, and signed up to hopefully gain some advice about a slipped disc.
Winston is only 18 months old and the vet thinks he may be suffering with IVDD. We currently haven't had an official diagnosis yet and are just treating him at home with strict rest, medication and pain killers.
Thankfully he's mobile and isn't showing signs of any weakness in his legs. He has really good days where he's happy and moving about with very little to none whining or showing signs of pain, and then has really bad days where he's not eating, and is crying with every movement. He seems to struggle most when getting up from his bed, as if he's stiffened whilst sleeping and his body has gone all tense.
He's a very active and playful frenchie, in our eyes he's only still a puppy and it's heartbreaking for us as a family to see him at his worst and in so much pain.
I've done lots of research online and looked at numerous vet forums, but i'm just hoping to have advice from anyone who has or is still going through the same with their dog. What is the best thing to do, and will he ever recover from this?

Many thanks
Cassie & Winston
x x

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to this site, and signed up to hopefully gain some advice about a slipped disc.
Winston is only 18 months old and the vet thinks he may be suffering with IVDD. We currently haven't had an official diagnosis yet and are just treating him at home with strict rest, medication and pain killers.
Thankfully he's mobile and isn't showing signs of any weakness in his legs. He has really good days where he's happy and moving about with very little to none whining or showing signs of pain, and then has really bad days where he's not eating, and is crying with every movement. He seems to struggle most when getting up from his bed, as if he's stiffened whilst sleeping and his body has gone all tense.
He's a very active and playful frenchie, in our eyes he's only still a puppy and it's heartbreaking for us as a family to see him at his worst and in so much pain.
I've done lots of research online and looked at numerous vet forums, but i'm just hoping to have advice from anyone who has or is still going through the same with their dog. What is the best thing to do, and will he ever recover from this?

Many thanks
Cassie & Winston
x x

welcome!

A neurologist would be the best to see to officially diagnose IVDD.

Keep him on strict crate rest and hopefully he doesn’t get any worse.

In the meantime while waiting for the official diagnosis of IVDD there are a few things you can give him. Nothing will ‘cure’ IVDD but it can support the nerves in the spine and can also be used for maintenance:

CBD oil is great for pain and inflammation.

Green lipped mussels is great for maintenance

Lions mane mushrooms is great for nerves and cells and paralysis of spine issues such as IVDD

Hope he gets better soon!

Keep us updated!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax was diagnosed with IVDD in 2017 when he was 4 years old. He’s had 4 surgeries, the most recent in January with the previous one 3 years ago.

You should get him to a neurologist as soon as you can for an evaluation. An MRI is the best way to truly diagnose IVDD.

What meds is he currently on? In the meantime, strict crate rest for at least 8 weeks, carry up and down stairs (if you have any), only out of crate to eat/drink and potty.

Time is of the essence with IVDD as things can go bad super quickly and they can become paralyzed. So if he starts to get worse, get to vet asap.

Jeffc

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this. Miles has shown symptoms of IVDD as well, we took him to a neurologist back in March. We are going back this month to see the orthopedic team. It’s very unfortunate that this is so common in the breed. Keep us posted and good luck!

Jakeyjake

Reaction score

Many thanks
Cassie & Winston
x x
My female frenchie passed away last year, but she had IVDD with 2 very successful surgeries. One in her cervical spine and then 6 months later in her back. I agree with other posts that you should have an evaluation by a neurologist asap. In the meantime, make sure and restrict activity. I hope you have insurance. The surgery is very expensive. Good luck and I hope he has a full recovery.

Jeffc

Reaction score
We are taking Miles to see the orthopedic team next week. He has already seen the neurologist and they recommended a appointment with the orthopedic. The hospital is at the university of Colorado State, we were impressed with our first visit. Anyone else used this hospital?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
We are taking Miles to see the orthopedic team next week. He has already seen the neurologist and they recommended a appointment with the orthopedic. The hospital is at the university of Colorado State, we were impressed with our first visit. Anyone else used this hospital?

Poor miles! Did the neurologist say it could be IVDD or not?

Keep us updated

Jeffc

Reaction score
Poor miles! Did the neurologist say it could be IVDD or not?

Keep us updated
They didn’t really give a diagnosis since at the time he wasn’t displayed any symptoms. They thought he looked good, but recommended we come back to see the orthopedic team. He’s had two episodes we’re he’s lost the use of his hind legs.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
They didn’t really give a diagnosis since at the time he wasn’t displayed any symptoms. They thought he looked good, but recommended we come back to see the orthopedic team. He’s had two episodes we’re he’s lost the use of his hind legs.
In order to diagnose IVDD, an MRI is needed.

Jeffc

Reaction score
Miles orthopedic appointment went well. He was at the hospital for a good portion of the day yesterday for his evaluation, they recommended we stay a extra day and so we did. He had physical therapy this morning. Thanks for all the well wishes.