Potty training questions

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
Forgive me but it's been many years since I was potty training a puppy. Question, should pee pads be left sporadically all over or just in a designated area? We have a clearly loved pets play pen for her and we leave the door open to it should I just be putting pee pads in there? I've just noticed lately on times she gets really hyper to where she had just peed outside 20 mins before she will go pee on my rug without even trying to use the pads. Also when she does have an accident in the house what should we be doing? Anything, besides cleanup? Should we be taking her outside even tho she won't go again? We do take her to the same exact spot and praise and treat.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I only used pee pads at night because I didn't wake up to bring any of my dogs out while potty training. If you catch her in the act of peeing in the house then yell NO and immediately take her outside to go. You can't stop the poop but you can stop the pee. And then give high praise and a treat when she does go outside. If you don't catch her in the act then there is really not much you can do cause they won't necessarily remember why they are being scolded. And anytime after playing/running around, puppies tend to pee even if they just peed 20 minutes ago. Just be consistent and eventually the potty training will happen, usually around 5-6 months.

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
I only used pee pads at night because I didn't wake up to bring any of my dogs out while potty training. If you catch her in the act of peeing in the house then yell NO and immediately take her outside to go. You can't stop the poop but you can stop the pee. And then give high praise and a treat when she does go outside. If you don't catch her in the act then there is really not much you can do cause they won't necessarily remember why they are being scolded. And anytime after playing/running around, puppies tend to pee even if they just peed 20 minutes ago. Just be consistent and eventually the potty training will happen, usually around 5-6 months.

Thank you! My husband was wondering if having pee pads all over was confusing her and I wasn't sure so think I'll take them up for now. Thanks a bunch!

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Forgive me but it's been many years since I was potty training a puppy. Question, should pee pads be left sporadically all over or just in a designated area? We have a clearly loved pets play pen for her and we leave the door open to it should I just be putting pee pads in there? I've just noticed lately on times she gets really hyper to where she had just peed outside 20 mins before she will go pee on my rug without even trying to use the pads. Also when she does have an accident in the house what should we be doing? Anything, besides cleanup? Should we be taking her outside even tho she won't go again? We do take her to the same exact spot and praise and treat.

I would say make sure you are cleaning the rug where she pees REALLY well (use pet shampoo product designed specifically for urine) because if there is even a whiff of a lingering scent there, she can remark it over and over. And Cbrugs explained perfectly about doing nothing but clean up unless caught in the act. She probably has more pee in her, so a loud NO! and scooping her up and rushing outside to place her down in her potty spot while saying, "Go potty outside" and then lots of praise/high value treat when she goes out there. Mine is 4 and every time she goes potty outside I still say, "Good girl goes potty outside!" and treat her. Never had another accident since retraining her at age 1.