Puberty

Mavis

Reaction score
Jelly will be eight months old on Sept. 12. We already had three incidents of marking (I believe). He peed on the bed two separate occasions and peed on a towel in the basement in my husband's man cave. For a couple of weeks now, he hasn't done that again (thankfully!). Yesterday, for the first time, he briefly humped my husband's leg. First time we have seen him hump anything. We will keep an eye out for this and discourage him if he does it again. I want to wait as long as possible before neutering him (hopefully bet. 12-18 months). Thoughts?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Jelly will be eight months old on Sept. 12. We already had three incidents of marking (I believe). He peed on the bed two separate occasions and peed on a towel in the basement in my husband's man cave. For a couple of weeks now, he hasn't done that again (thankfully!). Yesterday, for the first time, he briefly humped my husband's leg. First time we have seen him hump anything. We will keep an eye out for this and discourage him if he does it again. I want to wait as long as possible before neutering him (hopefully bet. 12-18 months). Thoughts?

I also would try to wait to neuter until he is 12-18 months(if you can).

He is definitely getting there it sounds like.

For Rusty, he never marked, however he was humping my other dogs(he never hump me or my parents),

I would definitely keep an eye on it and if he tries to hump you or your husband(or even Petey), definitely discourage it and say ‘off’ or ‘no’ so he knows it’s not allowed.

Does he lift his leg to pee? I know crazy question but sometimes when they do they are marking outside too(way better to mark outside then in the house).

How is house training going?

Mavis

Reaction score
I also would try to wait to neuter until he is 12-18 months(if you can).

He is definitely getting there it sounds like.

For Rusty, he never marked, however he was humping my other dogs(he never hump me or my parents),

I would definitely keep an eye on it and if he tries to hump you or your husband(or even Petey), definitely discourage it and say ‘off’ or ‘no’ so he knows it’s not allowed.

Does he lift his leg to pee? I know crazy question but sometimes when they do they are marking outside too(way better to mark outside then in the house).

How is house training going?
He still squats to pee. Housetraining is going better, even with my husband. Now when John let him out, he usually is able to get him to pee before coming in. Make no mistake, he doesn't ask to go out anymore and if he needs to pee when he's inside and he is out of sight, he will pee (or poop). At least it's better than it was. He definitely gets it. He runs over to me after he's gone potty because I praise him and give him a scratch. He is very smart.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
He still squats to pee. Housetraining is going better, even with my husband. Now when John let him out, he usually is able to get him to pee before coming in. Make no mistake, he doesn't ask to go out anymore and if he needs to pee when he's inside and he is out of sight, he will pee (or poop). At least it's better than it was. He definitely gets it. He runs over to me after he's gone potty because I praise him and give him a scratch. He is very smart.

That’s great he is improving for house training. Any little bit of improvement is better than none improvement.

They are definitely very smart dogs, doesn’t take them long to figure out what we want them to do!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheli was like this… he never has and still does not tell us he has to go. We have to maintain a schedule and watch that he doesn’t go unseen because that means he probab has to go. Good thing is for us.. he is attached to me like white on rice, where I am, he is right there or following. But first two years we had him… potty was a tough nut to crack. Crated when at work and we hired a pet sitter/walker for midday

Mavis

Reaction score
We have to maintain a schedule and watch that he doesn’t go unseen because that means he probab has to go. Good thing is for us.. he is attached to me like white on rice, where I am, he is right there or following. But first two years we had him… potty was a tough nut to crack.
Thank you for this - gives me hope that all is not lost for housebreaking.

Honestly, I was pondering this last night (after he peed/marked on my husband's pillow, and I find presents all around the house). I agree that Jelly needs a more predictable schedule. I let him out between 1-2AM each night and then again around 7AM every morning. He knows I mean business and goes out and pees and poops lickety split. He is extremely bonded to my husband (probably because they are both the same age mentally 😁 ). I call Jelly John's shadow. Anyway, unfortunately, John does not make him go out and feels that if Jelly doesn't want to go out or onto the wet grass, he shouldn't have to. :mad: Anyway, I am going to take matters into my own hands and let him out every three hours in a predictable pattern. I know he can hold it and that should be sufficient to avoid most accidents. All I have to do is pick up the squirt bottle and he immediately goes in the grass. I let him right back in the house because that is what he wants. He is VERY smart and I know that little bugger gets it, but he takes advantage whenever he can. I am feeling very hopeful about it. Got to get a good handle on this before the freezing temperatures and snow begin.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you for this - gives me hope that all is not lost for housebreaking.

Honestly, I was pondering this last night (after he peed/marked on my husband's pillow, and I find presents all around the house). I agree that Jelly needs a more predictable schedule. I let him out between 1-2AM each night and then again around 7AM every morning. He knows I mean business and goes out and pees and poops lickety split. He is extremely bonded to my husband (probably because they are both the same age mentally 😁 ). I call Jelly John's shadow. Anyway, unfortunately, John does not make him go out and feels that if Jelly doesn't want to go out or onto the wet grass, he shouldn't have to. :mad: Anyway, I am going to take matters into my own hands and let him out every three hours in a predictable pattern. I know he can hold it and that should be sufficient to avoid most accidents. All I have to do is pick up the squirt bottle and he immediately goes in the grass. I let him right back in the house because that is what he wants. He is VERY smart and I know that little bugger gets it, but he takes advantage whenever he can. I am feeling very hopeful about it. Got to get a good handle on this before the freezing temperatures and snow begin.
Any recent photos of Jelly??

I haven’t seen any photos on here for a while, has he grown much?