Puppies at the vet

Mavis

Reaction score
My husband and I took our little chi in for a follow up vet visit today. I believe Jelly, our frenchie, accidently scratched Petey's eye on Sunday when they were playing. Won't be the last time we're there for a play related injury, I'm sure. Anyway, there were two 8-week old frenchie puppies at the vet. OMG, I could have cried tears of joy, they were so adorable. One was a blue merle and the other a cream (my favorite). I'm generally not a fan of designer colors, but the little merle was beautiful. They both were just fat little angels. I think frenchies are, hands down, one of the best breeds out there - adorable, intelligent, friendly, affectionate.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
My husband and I took our little chi in for a follow up vet visit today. I believe Jelly, our frenchie, accidently scratched Petey's eye on Sunday when they were playing. Won't be the last time we're there for a play related injury, I'm sure. Anyway, there were two 8-week old frenchie puppies at the vet. OMG, I could have cried tears of joy, they were so adorable. One was a blue merle and the other a cream (my favorite). I'm generally not a fan of designer colors, but the little merle was beautiful. They both were just fat little angels. I think frenchies are, hands down, one of the best breeds out there - adorable, intelligent, friendly, affectionate.

I Totally agree, Frenchies are definitely the best breed out there, even with the Health issues that are common, they are still the best, so adorable, funny and sweet.
They sometimes act like clowns cause they want to be funny for center of attention, that’s why my vet that has Frenchies calls them little clowns!

OMG, yesterday, Rusty was trying to get my parents attention in the car, he lays or sits in his seat so we know he is safe, he was trying to get our attention and be funny, he showed us all his bottom teeth and was acting proud 😊, I will attach the photo below.

Would you get another if one was available for sale? Another friend for Jelly!

How is Petey’s eye?? Can the cone come off? Is it fully healed?

My parents say, “I would never get a Frenchie” due to the health issues, however, I wouldn’t hesitate to get another in the future.
Every breed has their own health issues that are common(my other 2 dogs, they are prone to many health issues too, those dogs my parents wanted that breed, and many health issues they are prone to).

And as far as spine issues like IVDD, many dogs are prone to that and even for the other 2 dogs we have , their breed is common apparently to get that IVDD. Same goes for seizures.

Many health issues however, can be prevented thru good diet and even managed(if they already have health issues).

1660587773339.jpeg
1660587783668.jpeg

Mavis

Reaction score
I Totally agree, Frenchies are definitely the best breed out there, even with the Health issues that are common, they are still the best, so adorable, funny and sweet.
They sometimes act like clowns cause they want to be funny for center of attention, that’s why my vet that has Frenchies calls them little clowns!

OMG, yesterday, Rusty was trying to get my parents attention in the car, he lays or sits in his seat so we know he is safe, he was trying to get our attention and be funny, he showed us all his bottom teeth and was acting proud 😊, I will attach the photo below.

Would you get another if one was available for sale? Another friend for Jelly!

How is Petey’s eye?? Can the cone come off? Is it fully healed?

My parents say, “I would never get a Frenchie” due to the health issues, however, I wouldn’t hesitate to get another in the future.
Every breed has their own health issues that are common(my other 2 dogs, they are prone to many health issues too, those dogs my parents wanted that breed, and many health issues they are prone to).

And as far as spine issues like IVDD, many dogs are prone to that and even for the other 2 dogs we have , their breed is common apparently to get that IVDD. Same goes for seizures.

Many health issues however, can be prevented thru good diet and even managed(if they already have health issues).

View attachment 15976
View attachment 15977
OMG, that is adorable!!! I'm like you; I wouldn't hesitate to get another frenchie, even with the potential health issues. They are the best. Since we've gotten him, Jelly doesn't have any health issues, especially no allergies. I think that is because of the food he is on - thank you! I notice him snoring a little in his crate at night. Maybe he will have to have his nares done at some point, but maybe not. I will have them checked when he goes in to be neutered (another six months or more), or if something comes up before that. I can't manage three dogs, so it is Jelly and Petey for now.

Petey's eye is all healed and he doesn't have to wear the cone. At his follow up today, vet confirmed he has a significant heart murmur and suggested an x-ray to check for enlarged heart to determine if medication if needed or not. We agreed and left him there to be sedated and x-rayed. Vet called and said that he has a seriously enlarged heart (10.7 is normal; his is 12.something - not good). His lungs are completely clear, however, and he is showing no other symptoms yet. We have medicine that he will need to continue to be on and will just have to watch for new symptoms. There is another medication for when those appear; hopefully it won't be for a long while. He is ten and I just assumed he would live to around 15, being a chi. He is an angel. I hope he has a long, comfortable life ahead of him. Worst part about having dogs.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
OMG, that is adorable!!! I'm like you; I wouldn't hesitate to get another frenchie, even with the potential health issues. They are the best. Since we've gotten him, Jelly doesn't have any health issues, especially no allergies. I think that is because of the food he is on - thank you! I notice him snoring a little in his crate at night. Maybe he will have to have his nares done at some point, but maybe not. I will have them checked when he goes in to be neutered (another six months or more), or if something comes up before that. I can't manage three dogs, so it is Jelly and Petey for now.

Petey's eye is all healed and he doesn't have to wear the cone. At his follow up today, vet confirmed he has a significant heart murmur and suggested an x-ray to check for enlarged heart to determine if medication if needed or not. We agreed and left him there to be sedated and x-rayed. Vet called and said that he has a seriously enlarged heart (10.7 is normal; his is 12.something - not good). His lungs are completely clear, however, and he is showing no other symptoms yet. We have medicine that he will need to continue to be on and will just have to watch for new symptoms. There is another medication for when those appear; hopefully it won't be for a long while. He is ten and I just assumed he would live to around 15, being a chi. He is an angel. I hope he has a long, comfortable life ahead of him. Worst part about having dogs.
The louder the breathing the more likly the need to have the nares and soft palate done, that was one of the best things I got done for Rusty’s health.

If he doesn’t need the palate done, when he gets neutered, hopefully you can ask them to do his nares to keep his breathing good.

Glad Jelly is in good health, the food definitely keeps the immune system strong and prevents new issues.

Good Petey’s eye is healed and no more cone needed.

That’s terrible that he has a heart murmur, so sad. Does he have any symptoms?
Hopefully Petey can still live a long happy life with many more years, some dogs with heart murmur may have even no signs and live a long time.

I found a supplement for heart Health for dogs, this brand is very good I have tried a few(one being kidney support Gold for my other 2 dogs with kidney disease and it’s made a huge improvement for them), and it’s made by holistic vets, maybe look into this supplement? I attached a screenshot of the product.
1660588979881.jpeg

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

I screenshot a few reviews on the product I attached a photo of in the last response,
I attached 3 reviews on heart murmur improvement(there is more, but I only attached 3 here for you), 2 of them is a chi one lived til 20 and another until 22!

I thought that was interesting and I wanted to attach for you.

Here are the reviews below:
1660589921414.png

1660589934195.png

1660589947451.png

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Merles are not purebred Frenchies. There is no Merle gene in the breed. Merles are more likely to have more health issues.

Mavis

Reaction score
The louder the breathing the more likly the need to have the nares and soft palate done, that was one of the best things I got done for Rusty’s health.

If he doesn’t need the palate done, when he gets neutered, hopefully you can ask them to do his nares to keep his breathing good.

Glad Jelly is in good health, the food definitely keeps the immune system strong and prevents new issues.

Good Petey’s eye is healed and no more cone needed.

That’s terrible that he has a heart murmur, so sad. Does he have any symptoms?
Hopefully Petey can still live a long happy life with many more years, some dogs with heart murmur may have even no signs and live a long time.

I found a supplement for heart Health for dogs, this brand is very good I have tried a few(one being kidney support Gold for my other 2 dogs with kidney disease and it’s made a huge improvement for them), and it’s made by holistic vets, maybe look into this supplement? I attached a screenshot of the product.
View attachment 15978
Thank you. Petey is still slightly "off" this morning. I think he still has some sedative in his system that has to wear off. His heart measure is a 12, with 10.7 being "high normal," so it is pretty bad. He has prescription heart medication that he will be on for the rest of his life. He has no symptoms. Don't know if I mentioned it, but his medication is $85/for a 25 day supply, and they recommend an x-ray every 6-9 months. Yesterday's bill was $750. I'm just glad they discovered it and we have a way to treat it.

Mavis

Reaction score
Merles are not purebred Frenchies. There is no Merle gene in the breed. Merles are more likely to have more health issues.
Thank you. Whenever I purchase anything, I read the reviews first. In Petey's case, I am going to stick with the prescription medication. I do believe in holistic medicine, however, in this case, I am going to go with the vet's assessment and recommendation.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you. Whenever I purchase anything, I read the reviews first. In Petey's case, I am going to stick with the prescription medication. I do believe in holistic medicine, however, in this case, I am going to go with the vet's assessment and recommendation.
That was me who looked in to that supplement and mentioned it to you to look into.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you. Petey is still slightly "off" this morning. I think he still has some sedative in his system that has to wear off. His heart measure is a 12, with 10.7 being "high normal," so it is pretty bad. He has prescription heart medication that he will be on for the rest of his life. He has no symptoms. Don't know if I mentioned it, but his medication is $85/for a 25 day supply, and they recommend an x-ray every 6-9 months. Yesterday's bill was $750. I'm just glad they discovered it and we have a way to treat it.

That’s not good, hopefully the medication will help.

That’s crazy the cost of the vet bills.

No you didn’t mention the cost of the meds, OMG it’s crazy.

Hopefully he improves, that sucks for him to be on the meds for life.

Did you have pet insurance for Petey or just Jelly?

Hopefully those medications don’t cause any side effect health issues.

Mavis

Reaction score
Did you have pet insurance for Petey or just Jelly?
No, I never got pet insurance for Petey because he was eight when we got him and in seemingly good health, except for back issues that surfaced right after that. I had never gotten pet insurance for any of our dogs and figured Petey wouldn't require it and at his age, the premiums would probably be too high to make it worth it. Sure wish I had it now. Oh well.

Petey is back to normal today, thankfully. He is an angel.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
No, I never got pet insurance for Petey because he was eight when we got him and in seemingly good health, except for back issues that surfaced right after that. I had never gotten pet insurance for any of our dogs and figured Petey wouldn't require it and at his age, the premiums would probably be too high to make it worth it. Sure wish I had it now. Oh well.

Petey is back to normal today, thankfully. He is an angel.

Hopefully he improves! It probably would cost you more to pay for pet insurance than the meds would cost you a month.

Rusty goes into the other neurologist tomorrow and if he says yes MRI is needed, Rusty is likely getting the MRI done tomorrow cause that’s why they require him fasted before the neurologist will discuss everything With us.
This is the clinic that will do the MRI in 3-4 hours.

Rusty definitely needs the good luck wishes for tomorrow!
I hope if they do the MRI, they don’t find any growths on his head☹️

Wish Rusty good luck tomorrow.

Mavis

Reaction score
Good luck with everything. Of course, I hope everything is clear.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear you! Our vet is always full of French and bulldog puppies when I go… I just melt every single time