Puppy Acne!

shortstuff

Reaction score
Bisou has doggie acne all over her neck, chin, and a few on her belly. They don't seem to bother her at all and she never itches, but the little red dots poking through the white on her neck/chest and through the thin fur on her bell drive me nuts! My family dog (didn't move out with me, still at home with my parents) is a terrier mix and has awful skin that gets really dandruff-y if he gets bathed too much. I want to keep her acne away but I don't want to destroy her soft little puppy skin in the process! Giving her baths really helps, but how much is too much?

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
There are numerous soap-free shampoos on the market that won't dry her skin out and are safe to use 2-3 times per week. My dogs have allergies and I like to use DermaBenss. You can buy it on-lin and don't need a rx.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
How old is Bisou and what are you feeding her? Can you post a photo of the spots?

Tgirl

Reaction score
I'm thinking our Vet usually recommends Oxydex shampoo for puppy pyoderma. I would talk to your veterinarian to see what is best for you to use and how often

shortstuff

Reaction score
I'm having a really hard time getting a clear photo, but her tummy looks exactly like this (currently only has 5-6 bumps)

puppy-with-many-red-dots-on-lower-stomach-between-hind-legs-21759263.jpg

and her chin and throat have bumps more this size

Boxer-Acne-1.png.pagespeed.ce.SedYDXbLN-.png

She's 7 1/2 months old and is on Taste of the Wild puppy formula. We will be moving her to Canidae, as our other dog eats, once she's an adult. She occasionally gets Fruitables or Zuke's treats while training and had some pumpkin puree when her tummy was giving her troubles after getting fixed.

This current flare-up is the worst we've seen since we got her. We just got back from a 5 day trip during which my boyfriend's parents were watching her. Their carpet isn't very clean, so my guess is this current bout is due to that. She gets it pretty regularly, though not usually this bad.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
That could be what caused it, the carpet. Wipe her down with a warm wash cloth and then dry her off. You might do that every time she drinks too. That will help. You can even use Vetericyn on her too.

blushy

Reaction score
That could be what caused it, the carpet. Wipe her down with a warm wash cloth and then dry her off. You might do that every time she drinks too. That will help. You can even use Vetericyn on her too.

Id have to agree here, that the not-so-taken care of carpet probably caused a reaction.

Id give her a nice bath, dry her off really well, and see if that helps clear up anything, since if she was playing on the carpet it could be in her fur, too.

And as said in the quoted post, Id dry her mouth after drinking, and wipe with a warm wash cloth/dry on the areas...

Easy to start with that and see what happens than buy anything first.

Isabelle got a bumpy rash on her chin from chewing her nylabone's sharp end (now garbage) and a wipe with with a warm wash cloth cleared it up within minutes.

Good luck I hope your girl feels better soon!

nikki86

Reaction score
Just FYI... Something I found out by accident that caused this in our girl zeta was carpet sprinkles that we used prior to vacuuming and she got aweful bumps.... Wheat and corn products cause this and febreeze

EnzosDad

Reaction score
Yea my little Enzo's belly looks like this. Figured out it was from when he liked to sit or lay on his pee pad and chew a bone. Or when he was peeing his bed and sitting in it when we left or slept. I use unscented baby wipes to clean the area 2-3 times a day and it clears up until he sits in something gross!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Tgirl

Reaction score
Just FYI... Something I found out by accident that caused this in our girl zeta was carpet sprinkles that we used prior to vacuuming and she got aweful bumps.... Wheat and corn products cause this and febreeze

Yep, for sure those smelly carpet products will cause reactions in dogs.

blushy

Reaction score
Yep, for sure those smelly carpet products will cause reactions in dogs.

We use the glade on our area rug, and I vacuum, empty the vacuum, and then vacuum again?

Isabelle has had no reactions.

But we have wood throughout the house besides that carpet, so she's not constantly on it either.

shortstuff

Reaction score
Wow, where have I been... Carpet sprinkles may be it. I used it once a couple months back and have vacuumed many times since then. Think it may still be causing it? I'll give the baby wipes a shot. She's been bathed a couple times since this post and she's still got bumps on her neck.

🆕 Latest posts