Questions: Puppy arriving next sunday.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hey,
Has anyone heard of Open Farm Raw Mix?
Looks like Natures Logic is tough to get here... the store made the order for me but it is backordered... so they recommended Open Farm Raw Mix.

I have heard of it and looked into it recently . It’s definitely NOT something I would feed my dogs, tons of synthetic vitamins, lots of potatoes. I recommend avoiding.

Do you have Carna 4 available to you still??

I would highly recommend the Carna 4 instead of the Open farm.

I thought you were gonna feed him Carna 4 cause Natures logic wasn’t available, and the Carna 4 is very premium like the Natures Logic.

MarcoB

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I noticed the same thing when looking at the ingredients.

I was going to feed him carna4 but then I found a shop that would order Nature's Logic for me, which I was very happy about because the quality is equivalent to carna4 but costs about $25-30 less a bag here. But now I'm not sure if they'll actually be able to get the natures logic... So I might just end up feeding him Carna4

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I noticed the same thing when looking at the ingredients.

I was going to feed him carna4 but then I found a shop that would order Nature's Logic for me, which I was very happy about because the quality is equivalent to carna4 but costs about $25-30 less a bag here. But now I'm not sure if they'll actually be able to get the natures logic... So I might just end up feeding him Carna4

Yes Carna 4 costs more cause it’s oven baked.

MarcoB

Reaction score
Just a little update regarding food.

Bobby is still in Fromm. Turns out I cannot get Nature's Logic, I've had 2 shops try to order it but the food is always backordered.

I was thinking I would feed carna 4 but I find it is too expensive.

Im not opposed to keeping him on Fromm but did want to put him on something a little higher quality. Was wondering if there are other high quality foods would you recommend?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Just a little update regarding food.

Bobby is still in Fromm. Turns out I cannot get Nature's Logic, I've had 2 shops try to order it but the food is always backordered.

I was thinking I would feed carna 4 but I find it is too expensive.

Im not opposed to keeping him on Fromm but did want to put him on something a little higher quality. Was wondering if there are other high quality foods would you recommend?

Do you have Farmina N&D brand available to you??

They have a fish line and also a pumpkin line. Ancient grains I don’t recommend.

That’s a next step up for quality from Fromm.

It’s not as premium as Natures Logic or Carna 4 for quality, BUT it’s even more better than Fromm.

What about Raw diet? Are you open to feeding him raw?
I’m finding raw is more cheaper and way better than kibble, cheaper cause a small dog doesn’t need to eat much.

Raw is not for everyone but is worth a try if your open to it??

MarcoB

Reaction score
Yes Farmina is readily available.

What do you think about Orijen?

I'm not opposed to raw but I have no idea where to start??

MarcoB

Reaction score
Actually the shop just called me back today to say they can get Nature's Logic original blend.
Is that the better option than Farmina or Acana/Orijen?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Actually the shop just called me back today to say they can get Nature's Logic original blend.
Is that the better option than Farmina or Acana/Orijen?

Yes that’s better than Acana definitely. I don’t recommend Acana or Orijen at all.

Yes Natures Logic is better than Farmina.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Yes Farmina is readily available.

What do you think about Orijen?

I'm not opposed to raw but I have no idea where to start??

Sorry for the late response.

Orijen and Acana is NOT good anymore since Ethel got bought out and quality will be very low if it’s not already.

For the raw:

Are you in USA or Canada??

I can recommend some brands of raw depending on if your in US or Canada for brands you can get that are good.

Raw is best for them. I would start with a protein he already had before(if he has been on salmon, try a raw salmon formula to start), then rotate thru beef, duck or lamb etc.

Lots of premade raw options to choose from, you just need to take out 1-2 days of food in the fridge and then the rest stays in freezer.

MarcoB

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I've got a bag of Natures Logic on the way.

I am in Canada. The convenience of kibble is what is appealing but I wouldn't be opposed to looking into raw a little more. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I've got a bag of Natures Logic on the way.

I am in Canada. The convenience of kibble is what is appealing but I wouldn't be opposed to looking into raw a little more. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

good raw brands available in Canada:

-Carnivora- comes in 1/2 pound portions, i feed this brand too, comes in Goat , Lamb, Beef, pork, duck, turkey and rabbit. Goat is one of my dog’s favourites and it’s great for allergies.

-Artisan raw - I feed this brand and it’s more convenient portion size- 1/4 lb portions. It also Has a HYPO formula which is no poultry and it’s beef and salmon. Other formulas though too.

-Big Country raw(I don’t recommend the dinner formulas though).
I give him the Pure Kangaroo 1 day a week for more variety. Comes In 1 lb portions.

-Back 2 raw - it comes in 1 pound portions so for my dog that eats 1/2 lb per day is not convenient for me.

- spring meadows

-Vital Essentials- I don’t use this brand cause I avoid added vitamins for Rusty.

I AVOID anything from butchers and I don’t give K9 choice or Buddies brands cause of quality.

Some people think raw feeding is going to grocery store and giving the dog a steak or chicken- this is NOT true. I don’t recommend doing that as it’s not balanced.

Is your pup gonna weigh approximately 25 lb or less?

You can feed 1 meal raw(breakfast for example), and 1 meal kibble(dinner for example). If the kibble you need is for convenience. I Just don’t recommend mixing the raw and kibble in the SAME meal.

some raw brands have excessive veggie content instead of meat organ and bone which is where the nutrients come from. So the brands I listed above and recommend, they are really good and don’t overuse veg which is a good thing.

If your puppy will weigh approximately 25 lb as a adult and you feed 1 meal raw and 1 meal kibble- you would feed 1/4 lb raw per day.
That’s not much raw he needs, if you do all raw and no kibble he would need 1/2 pound of raw food per day.

Raw keeps them hydrated cause it’s 70% moisture so dogs on raw often drink less and poop less cause there is minimal waste in the dog.
Raw is very good for allergies and dogs prone to allergies and inflammation.

Natures logic is one of the kibbles people feed if they go camping and they normally feed raw, cause it’s very minimal processed.

Are any of the raw brands I listed in Canada available to you??

MarcoB

Reaction score
Thanks for all this!

Looks like the only one available around here (Montreal, Quebec) is Carnivora.

I'll have to look into it a little more over the next little bit. But if he does well on Natures Logic I think I may just stick to that!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thanks for all this!

Looks like the only one available around here (Montreal, Quebec) is Carnivora.

I'll have to look into it a little more over the next little bit. But if he does well on Natures Logic I think I may just stick to that!

Carnivora is good even if that’s the only brand that’s available to you.

If you feed just the kibble i still highly recommended Rotating proteins as much as possible, and same goes for raw, the more rotating the better.

Keep me updated.