Raw and kibble questions

Luke

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I currently have a 9.5 week old pup called Kenzo.
He is doing really well with his raw diet, he is currently on Natures Menu frozen raw chicken, salmon and brown rice which is what o was recommended at a vets....
Went to purchase some more today and they told me I should be adding kibble onto that also? So purchased AVA puppy chicken kibble.

I thought a raw would be fine but was just advised not to and to give 50/50 at meals....

Any advice on this, any advice would be greatly appreciated 😃.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I currently have a 9.5 week old pup called Kenzo.
He is doing really well with his raw diet, he is currently on Natures Menu frozen raw chicken, salmon and brown rice which is what o was recommended at a vets....
Went to purchase some more today and they told me I should be adding kibble onto that also? So purchased AVA puppy chicken kibble.

I thought a raw would be fine but was just advised not to and to give 50/50 at meals....

Any advice on this, any advice would be greatly appreciated 😃.

Raw diet provides them with all they need. No kibble is needed, and honestly I always recommend NOT mixing kibble and raw in the same meal as it digests totally different and can cause him immune system to stress.

When they eat kibble, their stomachs are NOT acidic, however when they eat raw diet and low carb foods, their stomachs are very acidic, which they actually need to be acidic as it makes it less likly for harmful bacteria to grow. So when you mix the raw and kibble in the same meal, you can set them up for bacteria overgrowth potentially. And every food including kibble has bacteria.

I would not add kibble, or actually you can get Carna 4 kibble which is oven baked, it’s for all life stages, that’s what people feed when they can’t feed raw and go camping.

I still Highly recommend rotating the proteins in the raw diet to prevent food allergies.

Luke

Reaction score
Raw diet provides them with all they need. No kibble is needed, and honestly I always recommend NOT mixing kibble and raw in the same meal as it digests totally different and can cause him immune system to stress.

When they eat kibble, their stomachs are NOT acidic, however when they eat raw diet and low carb foods, their stomachs are very acidic, which they actually need to be acidic as it makes it less likly for harmful bacteria to grow. So when you mix the raw and kibble in the same meal, you can set them up for bacteria overgrowth potentially. And every food including kibble has bacteria.

I would not add kibble, or actually you can get Carna 4 kibble which is oven baked, it’s for all life stages, that’s what people feed when they can’t feed raw and go camping.

I still Highly recommend rotating the proteins in the raw diet to prevent food allergies.
This has helped so much, I really appreciate that!

When you say mixing proteins do you main change up the food I'm giving him, I have noticed they also do a puppy turkey one aswell as the chicken one I'm.already giving him?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
This has helped so much, I really appreciate that!

When you say mixing proteins do you main change up the food I'm giving him, I have noticed they also do a puppy turkey one aswell as the chicken one I'm.already giving him?

No problem, I’m happy to help!

That Ava kibble is not good, if you really want to add a kibble, try a different food brand like Acana, Carna 4 or natures Logic.
Carna 4 is really good though.

When I say rotate the proteins, I mean like 1 bag of the chicken salmon(or every other day is a different protein). So you could buy 2 weeks worth in different proteins like Turkey, or any other proteins, maybe lamb and beef and other proteins. So if you got 2 weeks worth in different proteins then that’s rotating or you can do ‘today is beef, tomorrow is salmon, next day is Turkey, the following day is lamb’ for example.

As long as you don’t feed him just the same proteins every day without giving him a different protein to prevent food allergies.

Raw diet provides them with all they need, they don’t require the supplement or kibble, that’s optional. Vets are usually against raw diet, so if your vet supports raw feeding and your currently feeding him raw diet and he is doing good on it, just rotate thru the proteins and you don’t have to add kibble.

The vets usually promote low end kibble too cause they make $$$ on selling Purina and hills and Royal canin and science diet(which is al fillers!) and they only get a tiny amount of nutrition training which is actually all to promote those company’s with low end ingredients and fillers(and yes I know this cause I know 3 vets that have said this and my regular vet also said they aren’t taught much on nutrition).

And my 2 other dogs I have got kidney disease from the same low end food☹️ I put them on raw diet and the kidney levels went back ti normal range in the bloodwork and they were given 6 months to live and it’s been 19 months now since they were diagnosed. That’s very good considering they we’re only given 6 months at most to live.

My Frenchie also got tons of health issues that were caused my low end food, which again has been managed thru diet.

Last edited:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not mixing raw and kibble are more old school thought. Unless your dog has digestive issues, it’s usually fine. I don’t know if you follow Rodney Habib or Dr. Karen Becker, but they both agree that the two can be mixed. I know a few people that mix with no issues.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Not mixing raw and kibble are more old school thought. Unless your dog has digestive issues, it’s usually fine. I don’t know if you follow Rodney Habib or Dr. Karen Becker, but they both agree that the two can be mixed. I know a few people that mix with no issues.
Mix as in one meal raw.. one meal kibble ? Or mixed together in a meal?