Rusty has lots weight-any ideas

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Rusty is 3.5 years old, he has always been 22 lbs since he was full grown.

I noticed a couple weeks ago he went from 22lb down to 21.5lb cause I could tell he is losing weight.

Today I noticed again, I can see his ribs more and his sweater is looser, I weighed him today, he is 20.4 lb! ☹️

I don’t know why he is losing all this weight it makes no sense, he is less active than he was in the spring and summer. He is more of a couch potato but still goes for his daily walk.

I have increased his food but he is still losing weight, that’s so much for Rusty to lose 1.5 lb in not even 2 weeks☹️

I called the vet and asked if I should take a stool sample for them to check him for parasites, she said no we have to examine him first, then decide, but we were told bloodwork and urine check are likely the first thing they will do cause things can change fast in bloodwork the reception lady said.

So Rusty has a appointment with the vet on Monday to check him, I’m gonna increase his food in the meantime. He has been on this same food for over 6 months, same amounts and he always stayed at 22 lb.

I’m so worried and I’m on google looking at the causes and I’m getting more concerned, scary stuff can cause this!

Also I should mention I thought he lost 0.5lb last week from not getting all the treats when my parents were away for 2 weeks, but I don’t think this is the issue anymore cause he is getting more treats again and he lost another 1 lb since then.

So he should be 22lb and now he is only 20.4 lb!

Any ideas what could be going on with Rusty??

Mavis

Reaction score
Rusty is 3.5 years old, he has always been 22 lbs since he was full grown.

I noticed a couple weeks ago he went from 22lb down to 21.5lb cause I could tell he is losing weight.

Today I noticed again, I can see his ribs more and his sweater is looser, I weighed him today, he is 20.4 lb! ☹️

I don’t know why he is losing all this weight it makes no sense, he is less active than he was in the spring and summer. He is more of a couch potato but still goes for his daily walk.

I have increased his food but he is still losing weight, that’s so much for Rusty to lose 1.5 lb in not even 2 weeks☹️

I called the vet and asked if I should take a stool sample for them to check him for parasites, she said no we have to examine him first, then decide, but we were told bloodwork and urine check are likely the first thing they will do cause things can change fast in bloodwork the reception lady said.

So Rusty has a appointment with the vet on Monday to check him, I’m gonna increase his food in the meantime. He has been on this same food for over 6 months, same amounts and he always stayed at 22 lb.

I’m so worried and I’m on google looking at the causes and I’m getting more concerned, scary stuff can cause this!

Also I should mention I thought he lost 0.5lb last week from not getting all the treats when my parents were away for 2 weeks, but I don’t think this is the issue anymore cause he is getting more treats again and he lost another 1 lb since then.

So he should be 22lb and now he is only 20.4 lb!

Any ideas what could be going on with Rusty??
Ugh; always a worry. Maybe the two-week change in his diet has contributed to his weight loss - hopefully that's all it is. I'd return to giving him lots of treats and upping the amount you give him at meals. Fingers crossed that this was just a temporary thing. Hope you see a difference quickly.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Ugh; always a worry. Maybe the two-week change in his diet has contributed to his weight loss - hopefully that's all it is. I'd return to giving him lots of treats and upping the amount you give him at meals. Fingers crossed that this was just a temporary thing. Hope you see a difference quickly.

Thank you for your response, always a worry with them!

He hasn’t had any change in his diet for 6 months, but my mom wasn’t giving him as many treats the last 2 weeks, however I don’t think the treats are the issue anymore, I have already increased his food at meals so hopefully he won’t keep losing weight but maybe gain some. He has been back to the same amount of treats now from my mom for about a week, but I don’t think he would lose 1.5 pounds from less treats in not even 2 weeks🙁

So confused and worried!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I would bring a poo sample with you on Monday and ask for it to be tested... this way you don't have to wait to bring a sample back.

As i told you -- try not to be overly worried until you have more info. Keep doing what you are doing and focus on what you can control right now until you have more insight

Mavis

Reaction score
Thank you for your response, always a worry with them!

He hasn’t had any change in his diet for 6 months, but my mom wasn’t giving him as many treats the last 2 weeks, however I don’t think the treats are the issue anymore, I have already increased his food at meals so hopefully he won’t keep losing weight but maybe gain some. He has been back to the same amount of treats now from my mom for about a week, but I don’t think he would lose 1.5 pounds from less treats in not even 2 weeks🙁

So confused and worried!
I'm in no position to tell you anything that you don't already know, but frenchies put on weight slowly. When we got Bambi, our previous frenchies (retired breeder at three years old), she was just over 16 lbs. and looked like death. I swear, she was gray. Anyway, her normal weight leveled out at around 22 lbs. I was feeding her about as much as she would eat, but she put weight on very slowely. Good luck with Rusty!!!!!!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I'm in no position to tell you anything that you don't already know, but frenchies put on weight slowly. When we got Bambi, our previous frenchies (retired breeder at three years old), she was just over 16 lbs. and looked like death. I swear, she was gray. Anyway, her normal weight leveled out at around 22 lbs. I was feeding her about as much as she would eat, but she put weight on very slowely. Good luck with Rusty!!!!!!

Oh I didn’t know frenchies put weight on slowly! Good to know.

Thats definitely skinny if Bambi was supposed to be 22lb and was only 16lb🙁

I have already increased his food the last 2 days even more, and he is moaning and whining after breakfast the last 2 days, because I think he just isn’t used to eating that much, even though his daily amount gets split into 3 meals(he gets a evening snack before bed @10:30pm)

Last night I went to take his sweater off him before bed and he was laying down, it slid right off him so easily which it fit perfectly on him before he lost weight.
That actually worried me cause I have never seen him that skinny, you can see his ribs too.

Tonight he was playing with my other dog like normal, but I noticed tonight he was panting more for some reason.

Thank you for the good luck for Rusty, I appreciate it and so does Rusty, I hope nothing serious is wrong with him!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I would bring a poo sample with you on Monday and ask for it to be tested... this way you don't have to wait to bring a sample back.

As i told you -- try not to be overly worried until you have more info. Keep doing what you are doing and focus on what you can control right now until you have more insight

Ok I will definitely bring the sample with us to the vet.

Thank you, I appreciate it and so does Rusty!

Mavis

Reaction score
I didn’t know frenchies put weight on slowly
I learned that on here, actually, when I was very active for several years starting in 2014 (or 2015, I don't remember), after we had adopted Bambi. I guess when you up their food intake, they just poop most of it out instead of metabolizing it like most other breeds (and people). I'd continue with it, however, and think eventually he will start to gain.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I learned that on here, actually, when I was very active for several years starting in 2014 (or 2015, I don't remember), after we had adopted Bambi. I guess when you up their food intake, they just poop most of it out instead of metabolizing it like most other breeds (and people). I'd continue with it, however, and think eventually he will start to gain.

That’s good to know, How long did it take for Bambi to gain the weight back?? Just curious of how long it takes I know every dog is different but at least I will have an idea of how long it could take Rusty to get back up to 22 lb and maintain that. Hopefully in a couple weeks Rusty gains weight and stops losing more weight.

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s good to know, How long did it take for Bambi to gain the weight back?? Just curious of how long it takes I know every dog is different but at least I will have an idea of how long it could take Rusty to get back up to 22 lb and maintain that. Hopefully in a couple weeks Rusty gains weight and stops losing more weight.
It's hard to remember, that was so long ago. I think it was at least a couple of months, but she had a lot to gain. It's terrible, but I don't remember if she was highly food motivated. I think she was. I have to ask my husband. Jelly is like a vacuum cleaner with his food. He loves to eat.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
It's hard to remember, that was so long ago. I think it was at least a couple of months, but she had a lot to gain. It's terrible, but I don't remember if she was highly food motivated. I think she was. I have to ask my husband. Jelly is like a vacuum cleaner with his food. He loves to eat.

It’s good if they are food motivated, makes it a little easier.

Rusty is also food motivated like Jelly, he eats what I give him, and also still wants treats😊

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
@Mavis

Rusty went to the dermatologist today, they said he has a bad yeast infection in BOTH his ears, which is from the rain getting in his ears when outside to potty. We now have to treat the infection, simply that tiny bit of rain in his ear created this infection!
He has to go for a follow up for his ear treatment on the 18th, and they have to create another allergy specific immunotherapy formula for the fall/winter allergies in the environment so he goes for ‘rush immunotherapy’ on the 7th of December, unless for any reason the formula isn’t ready.

We just got back to our regular vet for the weight loss, they didn’t do bloodwork again cause he had it done on October 3(just a month ago) and she sent his urine and stool sample away to check for parasites, and to make sure his urine is good, we will know tomorrow whether those come back normal, and basically just monitoring his weight.
He has gone up to 21 pounds, so he gained just over 0.5 lb in the last week from me increasing his food. We will check his weight again in 2 weeks then a month after that to know what amount of food works to keep him maintaining his weight at 22lb.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Rusty UPDATE:

I got the call from my vet, she said his urine was checked again and there is no ketones in his urine, so that’s good.
His stool sample test came back no parasites.
So Rusty does NOT have parasites OR diabetes, the vet told me to keep an eye on his weight and monitor and she thinks he is good.

If the weight issues continue, and he keeps losing weight I will have to get his bloodwork checked sooner, hopefully he gains another 1 lb so he gets to the 22lb and maintains it.

His ears are less red and seem to be less irritated. Hopefully they clear up soon.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Rusty UPDATE:

I got the call from my vet, she said his urine was checked again and there is no ketones in his urine, so that’s good.
His stool sample test came back no parasites.
So Rusty does NOT have parasites OR diabetes, the vet told me to keep an eye on his weight and monitor and she thinks he is good.

If the weight issues continue, and he keeps losing weight I will have to get his bloodwork checked sooner, hopefully he gains another 1 lb so he gets to the 22lb and maintains it.

His ears are less red and seem to be less irritated. Hopefully they clear up soon.
Good news that all the tests came back clear/good, but no real answers on the why he lost the weight :(

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
@Mavis @2bullymama

UPDATE:

Rusty was at the dermatologist this morning for his ear re-check and his ears are better.

His weight was 22.2 lb! That’s exactly what Rusty weighed before he lost 1.5lb! I’m very happy he gained his weight back, it’s now a matter of adjusting his food amount so he doesn’t gain anymore weight but give him more than he was before so he stays at 22lb so he doesn’t drop weight OR gain weight.

However, yesterday Rusty had his first pancreatitis episode.

Hopefully he continues to improve, except Rusty now has a bad tooth, which could be tooth decay or cavity, and Rusty is sore when it’s touched. ☹️