Rusty- help please!!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Something scary just happened to Rusty. If anyone has any insight or experience with something similar please help!

I was just sitting with Rusty as I always do, he curls up on the blanket on the couch(he has always done this).
He has had a head tremors before, which he has had a couple in the past couple weeks(usually it happens more during allergy flare).
The head tremors have hardly happened, the good food has helped greatly and when he does have head tremors, his head ONLY will move from side to side(bobble head we sometimes call it) and when I call him to get his attention, he is ALWAYS alert. I can talk to him and say where is your toy ball and he looks at me and is alert. The vet said it’s head tremors last year cause he is alert(it’s common in bulldogs/frenchies).

Today when he was curled up on the couch like always, he suddenly started shaking from side to side(from his front legs up to his head(like 1/2 his body almost was shaking) and he looked out of it and the first thing he did was SCREAM, that was the scary part, I have never heard him scream like this before, ever!
I called him to get his attention and he didn’t look at me, he looked very out of it and he looked confused almost. He also peed on me and the couch and he wasn’t aware he did it. Thats not normal and neither is the scream and he is always alert when I talk to him during a head tremor.
He also had TONS of drool from the mouth when this happened. Which never happens to him even when a head tremor happens, all this makes me think it could be a seizure cause no head tremor he has had has ever been like this.

This to me and my mom looked like he had a seizure. I have no idea what could have triggered this, and I am VERY worried/concerned about him now.

Other than him being allergic to the pollen and grasses/plants that are all in bloom now, that’s the only thing to trigger an allergy reaction but he isn’t red or looks like he is going thru a flare for allergies.

I haven’t been giving him any omega 3 oil supplements because he is allergic to all fish now due to eating the herring oil daily a few months ago, and I haven’t got any omega 3 now cause I don’t want to add anything new to his diet now until I know his allergies won’t flare.

He is back sleeping on the couch on me and he is moaning now for some reason.

If this is a seizure he had today, does anyone know of anything that helps seizures and what caused them???

Any insight on why this happened??

Any suggestions?
Anyone with experience or any input, please would be greatly appreciated. Im SO concerned☹️

Do dogs usually scream during a seizure??

Why would he have screamed???

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Does this sound like a seizure or any kind of back/spine issue????

Mavis

Reaction score
Something scary just happened to Rusty. If anyone has any insight or experience with something similar please help!

I was just sitting with Rusty as I always do, he curls up on the blanket on the couch(he has always done this).
He has had a head tremors before, which he has had a couple in the past couple weeks(usually it happens more during allergy flare).
The head tremors have hardly happened, the good food has helped greatly and when he does have head tremors, his head ONLY will move from side to side(bobble head we sometimes call it) and when I call him to get his attention, he is ALWAYS alert. I can talk to him and say where is your toy ball and he looks at me and is alert. The vet said it’s head tremors last year cause he is alert(it’s common in bulldogs/frenchies).

Today when he was curled up on the couch like always, he suddenly started shaking from side to side(from his front legs up to his head(like 1/2 his body almost was shaking) and he looked out of it and the first thing he did was SCREAM, that was the scary part, I have never heard him scream like this before, ever!
I called him to get his attention and he didn’t look at me, he looked very out of it and he looked confused almost. He also peed on me and the couch and he wasn’t aware he did it. Thats not normal and neither is the scream and he is always alert when I talk to him during a head tremor.
He also had TONS of drool from the mouth when this happened. Which never happens to him even when a head tremor happens, all this makes me think it could be a seizure cause no head tremor he has had has ever been like this.

This to me and my mom looked like he had a seizure. I have no idea what could have triggered this, and I am VERY worried/concerned about him now.

Other than him being allergic to the pollen and grasses/plants that are all in bloom now, that’s the only thing to trigger an allergy reaction but he isn’t red or looks like he is going thru a flare for allergies.

I haven’t been giving him any omega 3 oil supplements because he is allergic to all fish now due to eating the herring oil daily a few months ago, and I haven’t got any omega 3 now cause I don’t want to add anything new to his diet now until I know his allergies won’t flare.

He is back sleeping on the couch on me and he is moaning now for some reason.

If this is a seizure he had today, does anyone know of anything that helps seizures and what caused them???

Any insight on why this happened??

Any suggestions?
Anyone with experience or any input, please would be greatly appreciated. Im SO concerned☹️

Do dogs usually scream during a seizure??

Why would he have screamed???
Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry! All I can think of with the scream is back. Petey does that when he has an episode, although he has no other symptoms other than not being able to get in a comfortable position, not wanting to eat, not wanting to jump on the couch or bed. We give him Rimadyl and Gapapentin right away and put him in his crate for the day. Usually he is better within 12-24 hours, sometimes it may take a little longer if it is a serious episode.

Can you take him to the vet? Next time he does this, can you video it on your phone to show the vet?

My thoughts and concern are with you. I love Rusty and you are such a good mommy. I hope someone responds with ideas. Please keep us posted.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry! All I can think of with the scream is back. Petey does that when he has an episode, although he has no other symptoms other than not being able to get in a comfortable position, not wanting to eat, not wanting to jump on the couch or bed. We give him Rimadyl and Gapapentin right away and put him in his crate for the day. Usually he is better within 12-24 hours, sometimes it may take a little longer if it is a serious episode.

Can you take him to the vet? Next time he does this, can you video it on your phone to show the vet?

My thoughts and concern are with you. I love Rusty and you are such a good mommy. I hope someone responds with ideas. Please keep us posted.

Thank you!!

That’s my biggest fear/worry for him is IVDD.
He is walking Normal, and he just ate dinner.

The scream was the worst cause he has never done that scream before, I didn’t know what was happening and I knew it wasn’t a head tremor. I do t know if it was pain or if it was him scared.
I really hope he doesn’t do this again, but I just called the vet and the soonest appointment is Tuesday afternoon unfortunately, so hopefully he doesn’t have another episode again☹️

Thank you, and thank you for your reply to my post. I really appreciate it.

He is like my baby, the sweetest boy, I love him to pieces and don’t want anything to happen to him or to see him like this.
I will definitely keep you updated!

Thanks for the good wishes/thoughts.

It’s very scary to see this happen.

Mavis

Reaction score
He is like my baby, the sweetest boy, I love him to pieces
I totally get this, honestly. They are so loving, sweet and innocent. There is nothing worse than when they are sick and you don't know why. That screaming pierces your heart. If it is IVDD, just remember there are degrees to everything, and if so, hopefully it will just be a mild case with infrequent episodes. With Petey, obviously, something is seriously wrong and he can't tell us. Unfortunately, our vets aren't that helpful, but I feel somewhat relieved that we can manage it with medication and he has no side effects from those. Because the medication helps, I have to conclude that it is temporary nerve/back issues. If it's any consolation, think about people - we can frequently have these issues but they are sporadic. As you say, I do believe that part of his screaming is fear based, and it helps me to think that it may not be totally attributed to pain. Good luck at the vet. I hope this is something you see rarely. I can only hope Jelly turns out to be the frenchie that Rusty is. He is a sweetie for sure, but very stubborn. (The squirty is helping with that - like when he goes in the garage and won't come in the house. I calmly follow him around the car and squirt him, and eventually he has enough of being squirted - such a stinker!) I am hoping he mellows as he gets older. I notice that he and Petey still love to play, but it's not constant like before. He'd play beyond the point of tired and then get cranky. Such babies!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I totally get this, honestly. They are so loving, sweet and innocent. There is nothing worse than when they are sick and you don't know why. That screaming pierces your heart. If it is IVDD, just remember there are degrees to everything, and if so, hopefully it will just be a mild case with infrequent episodes. With Petey, obviously, something is seriously wrong and he can't tell us. Unfortunately, our vets aren't that helpful, but I feel somewhat relieved that we can manage it with medication and he has no side effects from those. Because the medication helps, I have to conclude that it is temporary nerve/back issues. If it's any consolation, think about people - we can frequently have these issues but they are sporadic. As you say, I do believe that part of his screaming is fear based, and it helps me to think that it may not be totally attributed to pain. Good luck at the vet. I hope this is something you see rarely. I can only hope Jelly turns out to be the frenchie that Rusty is. He is a sweetie for sure, but very stubborn. (The squirty is helping with that - like when he goes in the garage and won't come in the house. I calmly follow him around the car and squirt him, and eventually he has enough of being squirted - such a stinker!) I am hoping he mellows as he gets older. I notice that he and Petey still love to play, but it's not constant like before. He'd play beyond the point of tired and then get cranky. Such babies!

Definitely, there is nothing worse than when they are sick or in pain and we don’t know why. I can’t believe the soonest vet appointment is 1 full week away, I just hope nothing happens like this again.

If he does have IVDD, or slipped a disc or something at least he can still use his back legs.

It kind of looked like he had a seizure though, but then why would he scream like that and his front legs and head are shaking(I haven’t seen his front legs do that or hear that scream), and the fact that he peed and drooled lots and didn’t know he did is also a concern. Maybe his scream was being scared and maybe pain, I wish I knew.

He still gets a allergy specific immunotherapy injection(Not Cytopoint or anything from the vet, it’s natural extracts kf what he is allergic to in the environment-pollen, dandelion weeds, grasses etc.) every 2 weeks that stops his immune system from reacting to those specific things, so tomorrow he gets it and my neighbor who I dogsit for and she is a vet, but at a different clinic(not the clinic we go to), so I will ask her tomorrow what she thinks, maybe that will ease my worry and at least get an answer/opinion before we take him to our vet Tuesday which is 1 week from now.
Either way if it’s a seizure, or IVDD or spine issue, he would have to see a neurologist(our vet said this last year about his head tremors, if they got worse or he had a seizure).

At least Petey’s episodes can be managed thru a little bit of meds, and he can still use his back legs like Rusty.

Thank you, I really hope I never see him do this again, but he will get checked to be sure, I was gonna take him in for every 6 month bloodwork anyway soon so I will get them to do all that and hopefully it’s nothing severe. I will do whatever it takes to keep him healthy and get some answers and hopefully it never happens again.

One question, so I bought Lions Mane Mushrooms for him a while ago, because they are good for preventing neurological disease and can help prevent paralysis in dogs with IVDD, and there is research behind it and proof. I started him on it June 9 in hopes of keeping his spine healthy and to hopefully prevent IVDD or at least not be severe if he were to get IVDD.
He has been 100% fine until yesterday, my mom(Rusty’s grandma) asked if it was from him reacting to the lions mane, if it were a reaction to that lions mane, wouldn’t I already have known before now that he reacted to it?? I know 1 thing can be helpful to 1 dogs and not be the best for another dog. Your opinion???
I have stopped giving it to him but that doesn’t mean he won’t have an episode, I wouldn’t think it would be from the lions mane though. He was getting the tiniest amount. I am doing everything I can to try to prevent IVDD in him like not letting him jump on/off couch, no stairs(I carry him up and down).

That’s good that the spray bottle helps with Jelly’s stubborn times, Jelly sounds so much like Rusty when he was a puppy, I think they grow out of most of their stubbornness but of course there will be the odd time he will be stubborn like Rusty.

I’m sure he will mellow as he gets older.
Rusty used to play more when he was a pup, even though he plays still, not as often with the other dogs, but he still loves to play with me and my mom. And the youngest other dog(she is 6).
I think that’s a good thing Jelly isn’t over playing now like he was before.

Spoiled Jelly, Petey and Rusty😊 they are such great dogs! I think it’s a Frenchie thing for them really liking to cuddle on the couch, and just be with us, they are the sweetest dogs😊

Thank you for your response , I greatly appreciate it and for the support/thoughts!😊

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

So my neighbor that is a vet, that gives him his allergy shots(this is a vet at a different vet clinic-not the one we normally go to), she suggested to get him checked even sooner, she thinks it was a seizure.
He has a appointment with her at the other clinic tomorrow night, I asked her what could have caused this, she said there are many things such as liver issues, blood sugar(high or low), or cancers, and so we are gonna do bloodwork tomorrow at her clinic at the appointment to check everything and I will keep the appointment for my regular vet on Tuesday, since we always go there for everything, but hopefully in the meantime we can rule out liver issues or cancer hopefully.

He is still moaning a little bit, but he is just sleeping, hopefully no more episodes.

I really hope none of the above potential causes are the issue, he is only 3 years old☹️ I will be continuing to watch him like a hawk.

Mavis

Reaction score
Definitely, there is nothing worse than when they are sick or in pain and we don’t know why. I can’t believe the soonest vet appointment is 1 full week away, I just hope nothing happens like this again.

If he does have IVDD, or slipped a disc or something at least he can still use his back legs.

It kind of looked like he had a seizure though, but then why would he scream like that and his front legs and head are shaking(I haven’t seen his front legs do that or hear that scream), and the fact that he peed and drooled lots and didn’t know he did is also a concern. Maybe his scream was being scared and maybe pain, I wish I knew.

He still gets a allergy specific immunotherapy injection(Not Cytopoint or anything from the vet, it’s natural extracts kf what he is allergic to in the environment-pollen, dandelion weeds, grasses etc.) every 2 weeks that stops his immune system from reacting to those specific things, so tomorrow he gets it and my neighbor who I dogsit for and she is a vet, but at a different clinic(not the clinic we go to), so I will ask her tomorrow what she thinks, maybe that will ease my worry and at least get an answer/opinion before we take him to our vet Tuesday which is 1 week from now.
Either way if it’s a seizure, or IVDD or spine issue, he would have to see a neurologist(our vet said this last year about his head tremors, if they got worse or he had a seizure).

At least Petey’s episodes can be managed thru a little bit of meds, and he can still use his back legs like Rusty.

Thank you, I really hope I never see him do this again, but he will get checked to be sure, I was gonna take him in for every 6 month bloodwork anyway soon so I will get them to do all that and hopefully it’s nothing severe. I will do whatever it takes to keep him healthy and get some answers and hopefully it never happens again.

One question, so I bought Lions Mane Mushrooms for him a while ago, because they are good for preventing neurological disease and can help prevent paralysis in dogs with IVDD, and there is research behind it and proof. I started him on it June 9 in hopes of keeping his spine healthy and to hopefully prevent IVDD or at least not be severe if he were to get IVDD.
He has been 100% fine until yesterday, my mom(Rusty’s grandma) asked if it was from him reacting to the lions mane, if it were a reaction to that lions mane, wouldn’t I already have known before now that he reacted to it?? I know 1 thing can be helpful to 1 dogs and not be the best for another dog. Your opinion???
I have stopped giving it to him but that doesn’t mean he won’t have an episode, I wouldn’t think it would be from the lions mane though. He was getting the tiniest amount. I am doing everything I can to try to prevent IVDD in him like not letting him jump on/off couch, no stairs(I carry him up and down).

That’s good that the spray bottle helps with Jelly’s stubborn times, Jelly sounds so much like Rusty when he was a puppy, I think they grow out of most of their stubbornness but of course there will be the odd time he will be stubborn like Rusty.

I’m sure he will mellow as he gets older.
Rusty used to play more when he was a pup, even though he plays still, not as often with the other dogs, but he still loves to play with me and my mom. And the youngest other dog(she is 6).
I think that’s a good thing Jelly isn’t over playing now like he was before.

Spoiled Jelly, Petey and Rusty😊 they are such great dogs! I think it’s a Frenchie thing for them really liking to cuddle on the couch, and just be with us, they are the sweetest dogs😊

Thank you for your response , I greatly appreciate it and for the support/thoughts!😊
I have nothing to base this on other than opinion, but maybe there is a correlation between the lion's mane and his episode, especially since he seems to have a lot of sensitivities(?). I only say that because the seizure happened to coincide shortly after the recent addition of the lions mane. I'd suspend it for now and wait and see. I think it's pretty poor that you can't get a vet appointment for a week. I hate to say it, but based on my experience, they may not be able to tell you much definitively. Again, I'd start with removing the lions mane and keep your fingers crossed.

I am so relieved to hear that Rusty was distracted and more stubborn when he was younger - it gives me hope! Jelly is not bad by any stretch, but at this stage he is definitely not velcro or chill, unless he is ready for a nap. He lets me kiss him but is squirmy. Bambi and Petey love to be kissed and soak it up. Bambi would never fuss and would always sit quietly with us. That's all she wanted to do.

Here's Jelly. I hope he's not going to be huge. We will get a new weight on him on Friday.

PS, have you ever checked out Club Huey? They have the most darling frenchie/adult shirts!!! Really adorable.

Attachments

• Jelly - 6-21-22.jpg
    Jelly - 6-21-22.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 7

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I have nothing to base this on other than opinion, but maybe there is a correlation between the lion's mane and his episode, especially since he seems to have a lot of sensitivities(?). I only say that because the seizure happened to coincide shortly after the recent addition of the lions mane. I'd suspend it for now and wait and see. I think it's pretty poor that you can't get a vet appointment for a week. I hate to say it, but based on my experience, they may not be able to tell you much definitively. Again, I'd start with removing the lions mane and keep your fingers crossed.

I am so relieved to hear that Rusty was distracted and more stubborn when he was younger - it gives me hope! Jelly is not bad by any stretch, but at this stage he is definitely not velcro or chill, unless he is ready for a nap. He lets me kiss him but is squirmy. Bambi and Petey love to be kissed and soak it up. Bambi would never fuss and would always sit quietly with us. That's all she wanted to do.

Here's Jelly. I hope he's not going to be huge. We will get a new weight on him on Friday.

PS, have you ever checked out Club Huey? They have the most darling frenchie/adult shirts!!! Really adorable.

Yes I definitely wanted your opinion. It’s strange though that he didn’t have an allergic reaction to the lions mane(no itching or bumps or red spots), but I have already stopped it yesterday because I don’t know.
He did vomit before breakfast and dinner(3 piles of foam), the day before he had the episode, which hasn’t happened for a long time.
Then the day he had an episode his stomach was very off and he wasn’t feeling well. That also was strange.

We decided to wait to give him his allergy injection and wait until we get the bloodwork(especially if the episode could by caused by those serious things I mentioned she said☹️).
2 days of waiting won’t make a difference on how his allergies are but we can’t wait longer than that cause the dermatologist.

I know, it’s very frustrating especially In this situation why we can’t get him to our regular vet this week, waiting a week for an appointment, it has been like this for a while but now one of their vets is no longer working there cause she is moving so they are very short on vets here right now.

When I asked my neighbor the vet she said to see him sooner for bloodwork and the potential causes, and I asked when her next appointment would be that she could see Rusty, she said nothing this week other than Thursday which I work. She squeezed him in thankfully tonight for an appointment which I’m very glad she did but same thing at that clinic, no appointment for a week!
Then hopefully all potential causes are ruled out(I hope liver and bloodwork come back normal, with all the scary causes).
Then I will still take him to my regular vet on Tuesday for their opinion as we have been going there for 8 years and the DR is great with Frenchies(she has them).

Wish Rusty Luck tonight for the appointment, bloodwork should be back tomorrow.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t know a definite answer if bloodwork comes back good☹️

Hopefully Jelly ends up growing out of it like Rusty.

Rusty loves to be kissed and hugged, he actually waits for the hug and kiss!
I know that might sound crazy/silly but he enjoys being picked up and kissed and hugged from my mom and dad and me/mommy. Bambi sounds like Rusty for just wanting to sit with us, he loves it.
Jelly will get used to it and not squirm when you kiss him, hopefully he grows out of that too.

OMG Jelly is SO cute, look at that face! He is adorable😊 it looks like he loves being outside, Great photo. Thanks for sharing! I love seeing the photos.
It doesn’t look like he will get very big, it looks like maybe he won’t be a long Frenchie but maybe like Rusty and not much more weight hopefully(22-24lb hopefully).

Oh, I haven’t heard of that website before, I will go on there and look now😊

Wish Rusty luck tonight!

Thanks again for your response/support for this, it’s much appreciated!😊

Speaking of photos, I took one of Rusty to show you, this was when we went to bed last night. He was waiting for another hug before he actually goes and curls up in his bed/crate😊
1655909895968.jpeg

Mavis

Reaction score
Yes I definitely wanted your opinion. It’s strange though that he didn’t have an allergic reaction to the lions mane(no itching or bumps or red spots), but I have already stopped it yesterday because I don’t know.
He did vomit before breakfast and dinner(3 piles of foam), the day before he had the episode, which hasn’t happened for a long time.
Then the day he had an episode his stomach was very off and he wasn’t feeling well. That also was strange.

We decided to wait to give him his allergy injection and wait until we get the bloodwork(especially if the episode could by caused by those serious things I mentioned she said☹️).
2 days of waiting won’t make a difference on how his allergies are but we can’t wait longer than that cause the dermatologist.

I know, it’s very frustrating especially In this situation why we can’t get him to our regular vet this week, waiting a week for an appointment, it has been like this for a while but now one of their vets is no longer working there cause she is moving so they are very short on vets here right now.

When I asked my neighbor the vet she said to see him sooner for bloodwork and the potential causes, and I asked when her next appointment would be that she could see Rusty, she said nothing this week other than Thursday which I work. She squeezed him in thankfully tonight for an appointment which I’m very glad she did but same thing at that clinic, no appointment for a week!
Then hopefully all potential causes are ruled out(I hope liver and bloodwork come back normal, with all the scary causes).
Then I will still take him to my regular vet on Tuesday for their opinion as we have been going there for 8 years and the DR is great with Frenchies(she has them).

Wish Rusty Luck tonight for the appointment, bloodwork should be back tomorrow.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t know a definite answer if bloodwork comes back good☹️

Hopefully Jelly ends up growing out of it like Rusty.

Rusty loves to be kissed and hugged, he actually waits for the hug and kiss!
I know that might sound crazy/silly but he enjoys being picked up and kissed and hugged from my mom and dad and me/mommy. Bambi sounds like Rusty for just wanting to sit with us, he loves it.
Jelly will get used to it and not squirm when you kiss him, hopefully he grows out of that too.

OMG Jelly is SO cute, look at that face! He is adorable😊 it looks like he loves being outside, Great photo. Thanks for sharing! I love seeing the photos.
It doesn’t look like he will get very big, it looks like maybe he won’t be a long Frenchie but maybe like Rusty and not much more weight hopefully(22-24lb hopefully).

Oh, I haven’t heard of that website before, I will go on there and look now😊

Wish Rusty luck tonight!

Thanks again for your response/support for this, it’s much appreciated!😊

Speaking of photos, I took one of Rusty to show you, this was when we went to bed last night. He was waiting for another hug before he actually goes and curls up in his bed/crate😊
View attachment 15925
OMG, that sweet angel!!! I'd kiss on Bambi constantly. She love that and being held and just soaked it up. Jelly, not so much, at least now. I've attached a picture of Bambi - she was my angel. (I hope they attach - I keep getting a message that the "uploaded file is too large" (?)

Good luck tonight. It's great that you have such a good resource as your neighbor! Also, I am envious that your vet is so familiar with frenchies. I have seen several at our vets' office, however, there are probably 6-7 doctors in that practice, so I don't know how much experience each one has with the breed.

As far as "allergies," maybe if Rusty had a reaction to the lion's mane, it manifested differently than bumps/hives. Again, another indicator could be that he was throwing up foam the day before. I hope it was the lion's mane and now that you've stopped it, he won't have another episode. Good luck tonight. Please keep me posted.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
OMG, that sweet angel!!! I'd kiss on Bambi constantly. She love that and being held and just soaked it up. Jelly, not so much, at least now. I've attached a picture of Bambi - she was my angel. (I hope they attach - I keep getting a message that the "uploaded file is too large" (?)

Good luck tonight. It's great that you have such a good resource as your neighbor! Also, I am envious that your vet is so familiar with frenchies. I have seen several at our vets' office, however, there are probably 6-7 doctors in that practice, so I don't know how much experience each one has with the breed.

As far as "allergies," maybe if Rusty had a reaction to the lion's mane, it manifested differently than bumps/hives. Again, another indicator could be that he was throwing up foam the day before. I hope it was the lion's mane and now that you've stopped it, he won't have another episode. Good luck tonight. Please keep me posted.

The photo didn’t attach for some reason.
I always have to make the photos I want to attach smaller.

Thank you!!! Yes my neighbor that he is seeing tonight is experienced with Frenchies, and my regular vet that he is seeing Tuesday actually has frenchies, and Rusty always tries to play with her on the table!
It’s not easy sometimes finding a vet that knows a lot about Frenchies with experience with them.

That could be the cause for the vomiting, he usually only does that when he is hungry and hasn’t eaten for a while but that happened right before I put his food dish down for his breakfast and dinner.
I hope it was something simple like the lions mane that I can just discontinued already, I just wasn’t sure as he has been on it for 1.5 weeks with no issue until the episode, definitely strange as when he eats something he is allergic to he has a reaction within 4-7 days at the very most. But hopefully it’s just the lions mane and not anything serious, really hoping bloodwork shows nothing bad.

Thank you!! I will definitely keep you updated on how the appointment goes and what bloodwork shows tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Mavis

Reaction score
The photo didn’t attach for some reason.
I always have to make the photos I want to attach smaller.

Thank you!!! Yes my neighbor that he is seeing tonight is experienced with Frenchies, and my regular vet that he is seeing Tuesday actually has frenchies, and Rusty always tries to play with her on the table!
It’s not easy sometimes finding a vet that knows a lot about Frenchies with experience with them.

That could be the cause for the vomiting, he usually only does that when he is hungry and hasn’t eaten for a while but that happened right before I put his food dish down for his breakfast and dinner.
I hope it was something simple like the lions mane that I can just discontinued already, I just wasn’t sure as he has been on it for 1.5 weeks with no issue until the episode, definitely strange as when he eats something he is allergic to he has a reaction within 4-7 at the very most. But hopefully it’s just the lions mane and not anything serious, really hoping bloodwork shows nothing bad.

Thank you!! I will definitely keep you updated on how the appointment goes and what bloodwork shows tomorrow morning.
Geez, this reminds me, my sister was dog sitting her friend's chi mix while this woman was on vacation and he was vomiting bile frequently. (Can you imagine - I'd be a wreck!) Anyway, she took him to this woman's vet (whom they share), and the vet said to increase the number of times he eats in a day and it was because he didn't have anything in his stomach. I will check with her to make sure, but I am almost certain that is what she told me. It completely stopped after that. Turns out the owner was told the same thing but didn't follow it.

I just took this picture of Petey and Jelly after they had played and were tuckered out. Jelly was actually sitting and resting his head on Petey's back!!!!! They are so adorable! Melts my heart.

Attachments

• Jelly and Petey - 6-22-22.jpg
    Jelly and Petey - 6-22-22.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Geez, this reminds me, my sister was dog sitting her friend's chi mix while this woman was on vacation and he was vomiting bile frequently. (Can you imagine - I'd be a wreck!) Anyway, she took him to this woman's vet (whom they share), and the vet said to increase the number of times he eats in a day and it was because he didn't have anything in his stomach. I will check with her to make sure, but I am almost certain that is what she told me. It completely stopped after that. Turns out the owner was told the same thing but didn't follow it.

I just took this picture of Petey and Jelly after they had played and were tuckered out. Jelly was actually sitting and resting his head on Petey's back!!!!! They are so adorable! Melts my heart.

Yes that’s very common in dogs, Rusty has had that and needs to have breakfast before 9am, dinner @4 and snack before bed @10;30 or 11:00pm.

He used to do that daily, but because I have been doing this ever since he started vomiting due to empty stomach and being hungry he has had his food at these times(I think I have been doing this since he was 4 months old), and it’s rare when he does vomit, maybe 1 time in 1-2 months.

Small more frequent meals has done wonders!
That doesn’t mean they will never vomit though.
I would be worried and probably come home if my dog was sick when I would be away!

That actually happened to my parents a couple months ago, my parents went away and I stay with the dogs(Rusty and the 2 other dogs-they are my parents dogs, Rusty is mine) and I haven’t gone away since I got Rusty cause I don’t think I could leave him and not worry.
the oldest dog of my parents, there was a issue and my parents were away and I had to take her to the vet and Rusty had to go to the vet too cause that’s when the eye infection didn’t go away(thankfully it’s gone now, the eyes are just really watery from pollen allergy), and i didn’t want my parents to worry about their dog, she ended up just having a really bad UTI and was acting like it was something serious.

Oh my I wouldn’t be able to leave the dogs, especially Rusty, he would have to come with me if I went away😊

OMG that’s SO adorable! Jelly and Petey curled up together! I love it when they do that, Rusty does that too to the other dogs😊 Petey doesn’t mind him doing that😊
Thanks for sharing that adorable photo.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

So we just got back from the vet, she no longer thinks it was a seizure, but isn’t 100% sure.

She did a neurological exam(tested his legs and all down his back) , and she thinks he has IVDD and she said when I touch here, it’s sore on that part. His back right leg(his paw) he sometimes has it upside down(bottom of his paw facing up), and takes longer for him to fix it. Which isn’t really an issue but it just takes longer to fix His paw and put it the right way, he was faster on his other leg. But she isn’t really worried about that.

She thought his scream was him in pain and fear and thinks he peed cause he was scared and in pain. But again she said I can’t say 100% sure that’s what it is but that’s what she thinks.

The weird thing about that is where it is that’s sore and weak, he had a curve on an X ray about a year ago she showed me.

Of course she sent him home with metacam to have on hand, but I will use CBD oil instead and as last resort use metacam cause of the side effects and him not tolerating it before(I think you said Petey was the same).

She did blood work and we will have the results tomorrow and if everything is normal, she thinks it’s IVDD, thankfully he can still use his back legs.

That was my biggest fear with Rusty and what I’m trying to prevent by no stairs and no jumping on/off furniture.

If it’s not seizures, and it’s IVDD I want/hope to continue the Lions mane because it’s proven to prevent paralysis in IVDD and other spine issues and to protect the nerves and spine.

I will keep you posted on bloodwork tomorrow and also when we go to the vet on Tuesday to our regular vet and get her opinion.

We are devastated that he likely has IVDD.

Very scary!

Thanks again for your support/response to my thread and concerns.
I really appreciate it.

I’m surprised though she didn’t suggest a neurologist. I am pretty sure my regular vet will recommend going to Neurologist.

She did say though he could have twisted his back, but she does think he does have IVDD based on the things I mentioned she noticed.

Last edited:

Mavis

Reaction score
So we just got back from the vet, she no longer thinks it was a seizure, but isn’t 100% sure.

She did a neurological exam(tested his legs and all down his back) , and she thinks he has IVDD and she said when I touch here, it’s sore on that part. His back right leg(his paw) he sometimes has it upside down(bottom of his paw facing up), and takes longer for him to fix it. Which isn’t really an issue but it just takes longer to fix His paw and put it the right way, he was faster on his other leg. But she isn’t really worried about that.

She thought his scream was him in pain and fear and thinks he peed cause he was scared and in pain. But again she said I can’t say 100% sure that’s what it is but that’s what she thinks.

The weird thing about that is where it is that’s sore and weak, he had a curve on an X ray about a year ago she showed me.

Of course she sent him home with metacam to have on hand, but I will use CBD oil instead and as last resort use metacam cause of the side effects and him not tolerating it before(I think you said Petey was the same).

She did blood work and we will have the results tomorrow and if everything is normal, she thinks it’s IVDD, thankfully he can still use his back legs.

That was my biggest fear with Rusty and what I’m trying to prevent by no stairs and no jumping on/off furniture.

If it’s not seizures, and it’s IVDD I want/hope to continue the Lions mane because it’s proven to prevent paralysis in IVDD and other spine issues and to protect the nerves and spine.

I will keep you posted on bloodwork tomorrow and also when we go to the vet on Tuesday to our regular vet and get her opinion.

We are devastated that he likely has IVDD.

Very scary!

Thanks again for your support/response to my thread and concerns.
I really appreciate it.

I’m surprised though she didn’t suggest a neurologist. I am pretty sure my regular vet will recommend going to Neurologist.

She did say though he could have twisted his back, but she does think he does have IVDD based on the things I mentioned she noticed.
I'm sorry. There are degrees to everything - hopefully Rusty's condition is on the milder side. Petey has it but it only flares about 1-2 times/month, and it's manageable. When he has an episode, we manage it with gabapentin and rimadyl and crate him to keep him stationery. Can you crate Rusty?

Good luck. I hope others here have some suggestions.

Mavis

Reaction score
Yes that’s very common in dogs, Rusty has had that and needs to have breakfast before 9am, dinner @4 and snack before bed @10;30 or 11:00pm.

He used to do that daily, but because I have been doing this ever since he started vomiting due to empty stomach and being hungry he has had his food at these times(I think I have been doing this since he was 4 months old), and it’s rare when he does vomit, maybe 1 time in 1-2 months.

Small more frequent meals has done wonders!
That doesn’t mean they will never vomit though.
I would be worried and probably come home if my dog was sick when I would be away!

That actually happened to my parents a couple months ago, my parents went away and I stay with the dogs(Rusty and the 2 other dogs-they are my parents dogs, Rusty is mine) and I haven’t gone away since I got Rusty cause I don’t think I could leave him and not worry.
the oldest dog of my parents, there was a issue and my parents were away and I had to take her to the vet and Rusty had to go to the vet too cause that’s when the eye infection didn’t go away(thankfully it’s gone now, the eyes are just really watery from pollen allergy), and i didn’t want my parents to worry about their dog, she ended up just having a really bad UTI and was acting like it was something serious.

Oh my I wouldn’t be able to leave the dogs, especially Rusty, he would have to come with me if I went away😊

OMG that’s SO adorable! Jelly and Petey curled up together! I love it when they do that, Rusty does that too to the other dogs😊 Petey doesn’t mind him doing that😊
Thanks for sharing that adorable photo.
My husband and have not traveled together overnight for several years now because we can't leave the dogs. We have used a pet sitter twice who is also a vet tech, who lives in the house while we are away and stays overnight. I trust her completely and am comfortable with her, but last several years my husband just feels better staying home with them (not that he doesn't trust her). He just worries too much about the dogs.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I'm sorry. There are degrees to everything - hopefully Rusty's condition is on the milder side. Petey has it but it only flares about 1-2 times/month, and it's manageable. When he has an episode, we manage it with gabapentin and rimadyl and crate him to keep him stationery. Can you crate Rusty?

Good luck. I hope others here have some suggestions.

Rusty is crated at night when we are in bed, his crate is next to my bed.

I hope it’s just a mild case too.

He curls up with my other dogs during the day, he will be upstairs in my moms office so there is no chance of him playing when I’m working.

The sad thing is, he loves playing with the youngest other dog and he jumps at her all the time to play and races around and sometimes so fast he falls on his back, so we have to limit play with her unfortunately.

He likes to climb upfront in the car to get upfront with my parents for treats, he has been doing this for over 1 year, now we have to stop that cause that’s hard on his back probably.
My dad no longer wants to pick Rusty up because he is worried he will hurt Rusty’s back, even though he can pick him up he doesn’t want to.

Still Waiting on bloodwork now and hopefully everything is ok in bloodwork.

I have been so worried and try to prevent this. This was my biggest fear with him, he is only 3.

It kind of explains a couple things though, when he moans when I pick him up sometimes which I though was maybe he ate too fast, but he sometimes does that even when he didn’t just eat.

On the couch after it happened he was moaning, and last night on our evening 15 minute walk when I picked him up before the stairs, he moaned, I said to mom, maybe that’s why he is moaning.

Ridiculous thing, I was reading at work that 60% of dog owners are not aware their dog is in back pain, which I thought was crazy and I just heard of a customer that lost her Frenchie to IVDD. That’s made me even more worried when I heard that 2 weeks ago☹️

If it is IVDD, and bloodwork is good, then n in a couple weeks I might try him back on lions mane as it’s proven to prevent paralysis in dogs with IVDD and keep the nerves, and spine healthy.

Thank you!! I will keep you posted on his bloodwork and what my regular vet says on Tuesday.

I really appreciate your thoughts and support!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
My husband and have not traveled together overnight for several years now because we can't leave the dogs. We have used a pet sitter twice who is also a vet tech, who lives in the house while we are away and stays overnight. I trust her completely and am comfortable with her, but last several years my husband just feels better staying home with them (not that he doesn't trust her). He just worries too much about the dogs.

Definitely, I am the same way, I can’t leave the dogs, especially Rusty.

Mavis

Reaction score
Rusty is crated at night when we are in bed, his crate is next to my bed.

I hope it’s just a mild case too.

He curls up with my other dogs during the day, he will be upstairs in my moms office so there is no chance of him playing when I’m working.

The sad thing is, he loves playing with the youngest other dog and he jumps at her all the time to play and races around and sometimes so fast he falls on his back, so we have to limit play with her unfortunately.

He likes to climb upfront in the car to get upfront with my parents for treats, he has been doing this for over 1 year, now we have to stop that cause that’s hard on his back probably.
My dad no longer wants to pick Rusty up because he is worried he will hurt Rusty’s back, even though he can pick him up he doesn’t want to.

Still Waiting on bloodwork now and hopefully everything is ok in bloodwork.

I have been so worried and try to prevent this. This was my biggest fear with him, he is only 3.

It kind of explains a couple things though, when he moans when I pick him up sometimes which I though was maybe he ate too fast, but he sometimes does that even when he didn’t just eat.

On the couch after it happened he was moaning, and last night on our evening 15 minute walk when I picked him up before the stairs, he moaned, I said to mom, maybe that’s why he is moaning.

Ridiculous thing, I was reading at work that 60% of dog owners are not aware their dog is in back pain, which I thought was crazy and I just heard of a customer that lost her Frenchie to IVDD. That’s made me even more worried when I heard that 2 weeks ago☹️

If it is IVDD, and bloodwork is good, then n in a couple weeks I might try him back on lions mane as it’s proven to prevent paralysis in dogs with IVDD and keep the nerves, and spine healthy.

Thank you!! I will keep you posted on his bloodwork and what my regular vet says on Tuesday.

I really appreciate your thoughts and support!
It makes me so sad to hear that your dad won't pick him up now for fear of hurting him. 😢 Good luck with everything. You are taking excellent care of him. God bless.

I wish there were other people on here who have experienced a similar issue who could comment. When I first joined the forum in 2014, there were tons of regular contributing members. Now it seems to be only a few.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
It makes me so sad to hear that your dad won't pick him up now for fear of hurting him. 😢 Good luck with everything. You are taking excellent care of him. God bless.

I wish there were other people on here who have experienced a similar issue who could comment. When I first joined the forum in 2014, there were tons of regular contributing members. Now it seems to be only a few.

Well it’s not like he doesn’t want to pick Rusty up, we are all worried and extra careful of how we pick him up, but of course we continue to pick him up, except for my dad, but that doesn’t mean he won’t eventually.

Thank you so much for your support/thoughts and input!
I really appreciate it.