Rusty’s ear-any advice/suggestions?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Rusty had a sore on his ear that has been bothering him started about a week ago, he seemed to get a little sore/irritated on that one sore on his ear(this spot on his ear gets irritated at least 3-4 times a year which I put cream on that helps clear it up).

However, we mentioned it to the dermatologist on Tuesday that his ear seems to be bothering him, he checked it and said he has a mild yeast infection in his ear that’s inflamed and red/irritated inside(this I didn’t know was going on).
The dermatologist had to shave Rusty’s ear cause he found another sore that we have to keep clean and treat.

He has never had a yeast infection in his ear(my other dog that used to get them looked much different than this.)

Other than him playing with my other dogs, the only thing I can think of that could’ve caused the yeast infection in his ear is him shaking his head in the bath or got water in his ear somehow, not sure what exactly caused this.

The dermatologist recommended we use a ear solution with steroid in it we had to use over a year ago for a different infection and it made his ear worse, and we were told and we read that a side effect of it is deafness and irritating skin, so I haven’t used that and don’t want ti use it cause of how it made him worse last time(which I mentioned to the dermatologist).

I got some natural ear drops in the meantime but not sure how long it will take to clear the infection and make his ear feel better. I put the cream that u always put on the sores on these sores, but I have to somehow get rid of the infection, any suggestions??

His ear has been very itchy and sore today and more sores are on his ear and it’s bright red🙁 I will be starting the ear drops tonight, but I want him to have relief soon. His allergies have been manageable, no recent flare ups that could cause this.

His ear was also even more irritated after they shaved his ear. It’s only the one ear, not both ears.

Here are a couple photos of what it looks like:
it won’t let me attach it here, will try again.

Any recommendations?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
1663481789926.jpeg
1663481882603.jpeg
And when I clean his ears, there is hardly anything in there, not dirty at all.

In this phot his ear was not irritated but I had to add this cute photo:
F3341CD4-D99E-4D91-9085-3C0663DC81A6.jpeg

Mavis

Reaction score
I'm sorry that Rusty is having this issue. It is so hard when they have something going on that isn't quick to respond. I have no experience with this other than with humans, but could you consider trying applying plain yogurt to the affected areas and see if that helps. I know for women who have yeast infections, this used to be a holistic treatment. Something about the pH of yogurt kills or calms the active growth of yeast. To me, it can't hurt as a trial. Maybe google it and see what it says. I don't think it would hurt. Good luck.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I'm sorry that Rusty is having this issue. It is so hard when they have something going on that isn't quick to respond. I have no experience with this other than with humans, but could you consider trying applying plain yogurt to the affected areas and see if that helps. I know for women who have yeast infections, this used to be a holistic treatment. Something about the pH of yogurt kills or calms the active growth of yeast. To me, it can't hurt as a trial. Maybe google it and see what it says. I don't think it would hurt. Good luck.

Thank you!

It definitely sucks that nothing gives relief right away.

That’s interesting that yogurt can help with yeast, i will look into that.

It’s So frustrating that literally a few drops of water could cause this issue, if it’s from him shaking his head in the bath.

Thank you very much for responding to my post, and for the suggestion of yogurt. I appreciate it very much and so does Rusty😊

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Recently Jake was shaking his head and scratching at his ear and had some scabs/sores. Vet said he had a yeast infection and a staph infection on the ear. His vet prescribed an antibiotic for the staph and otomax for the yeast which cleared it up. He is also losing his hearing but vet said that's age related. He's 9 1/2. I also think too many carbs in the diet can produce an overgrowth of yeast or as you mentioned getting water in the ear can cause issues. Jake was getting a little bored of his food and so I added a little white potato and that's when things flared up. He is on a special diet for protein leaking entropathy in his intestines so we have to cook a very low fat, high protein diet for him. Hope you find a remedy that works.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Recently Jake was shaking his head and scratching at his ear and had some scabs/sores. Vet said he had a yeast infection and a staph infection on the ear. His vet prescribed an antibiotic for the staph and otomax for the yeast which cleared it up. He is also losing his hearing but vet said that's age related. He's 9 1/2. I also think too many carbs in the diet can produce an overgrowth of yeast or as you mentioned getting water in the ear can cause issues. Jake was getting a little bored of his food and so I added a little white potato and that's when things flared up. He is on a special diet for protein leaking entropathy in his intestines so we have to cook a very low fat, high protein diet for him. Hope you find a remedy that works.

That’s good to hear his ear infection was cleared up.

We can’t use any antibiotics on Rusty as he is 100% antibiotics resistant to every antibiotics due to the amount of times it was used for allergies.

Yes definitely the carbs in the diet create the yeast, Rusty is on a very low carb diet, so I know there is no carbs to cause yeast overgrowth and He gets 1 ingredient treats(beef liver, kangaroo bites, no carbs in treats).

Rusty is allergic to the yeast that live on the skin, which was the yeast that caused his ear infection. I think it was him shaking his head after his bath and he probably got a bit of water in his ear. The sore though that has always been getting irritated is getting better.

I didn’t end up using the ear cream the vet prescribed due to potential of causing him to go deaf, so I started using NaturPet Ear drops which I read it can treat infections in the ear and be a maintenance, it’s helpful for yeast and inflamed irritated ears.
I started those ear drops 1 week ago, and his ear is less red and is improving(minimal yeast and less irritated and itchy), so hopefully with another week of continue using it , infection will be fully gone, but they definitely look much better and not red.

Thank you for your response, and for sharing what you have used for the infection. If for any reason it doesn’t improve I will keep the treatment you used In mind😊

That’s sad Jake is losing his hearing, 9.5 years is pretty good for a Frenchie. Glad his ear is better!

Thank you again for your response/advice , much appreciated.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
hhmmmm... wonder if nu-stock would help this? Maybe ask Lynn on EBN @manydogs

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Update:
Rusty went for a follow up ear check appointment at our regular vet today, she said the ear is NOT infected, but still inflamed irritated and sore. I’m glad there is no more yeast infection(touch wood, but yay!)

She said to do daily ear drops to keep it clean daily, both ears cause both are irritated ,just the left ear is more sore.

I can’t believe simply a tiny bit of water from the bath(I think that’s what caused this infection?) can cause this that quick!

He really loves the laser therapy on his back/spine, he seems very relaxed when he gets the laser treatment which is only 30 minutes, but he loves it.
We are only doing the laser therapy 1 day a month to prevent any further spine issues so IVDD doesn’t progress.

Last time he had his laser therapy, she did his ear too to help speed up the healing which also helped.

They also did blood work today too, which we should get the results Tomorrow, we do this 1-2 times a year depending on Rusty’s health.
Hopefully this also comes back good too! I think I worry too much but also because my other 2 dogs have kidney disease from the food they were fed as puppies.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Happy to hear e doesn't have an infection. Yes, water can be an issue for dogs ears.... one way to try and avoid getting it in the ear is to use cotton balls or a shower cap to cover ears while bathing

Mary Jane's Mom

Reaction score
View attachment 16006
View attachment 16007
And when I clean his ears, there is hardly anything in there, not dirty at all.

In this phot his ear was not irritated but I had to add this cute photo

Happy to hear e doesn't have an infection. Yes, water can be an issue for dogs ears.... one way to try and avoid getting it in the ear is to use cotton balls or a shower cap to cover ears while bathing
Photos of shower cap wearing Frenchie please!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Photos of shower cap wearing Frenchie please!
I have never done it cause I take my guys to the groomer to get a bath.... but here is one I've seen.

YSZwaWQ9QXBp