Safe Chew Sticks

Mavis

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone recommend a safe beef chew stick or similar? I don't like the idea of hooves or rawhide. Thank you.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone recommend a safe beef chew stick or similar? I don't like the idea of hooves or rawhide. Thank you.

Beef Plaque Busters are good.

Proden Plaque off dental powder(just add to food and it works thru the saliva to prevent new plaque, I’m considering getting it for Rusty). It’s a seaweed powder.

Plaque off Dental chews(works like the plaque off powder), they have bacon flavour chews.

Definitely stay away from Rawhides, Greenies, hooves, horns and same with DentaStix from the grocery store(garbage ingredients and they create plaque), as all those are NOT safe.

Yak chews are good, bully sticks are good sometimes(my dogs go thru them in 2 minutes).

A full Bill Tail is a great chew, it’s NOT a rawhide, it’s a full bull tail, but I’m in Canada and there is only 1 store that carries them and they are being discontinued.

Raw bones are good, knuckle bones are good, kangaroo tails are good, the raw bones have enzymes in them that are good for preventing new plaque.

I would look into the plaque off dental powder you can add to food that works thru the saliva to prevent new plaque.

Be careful of some other chews that use chemicals and bleach them(rawhide also uses chemicals and bleach and glue), but some other chews do that.
Greenies also use chemicals and same for milk bone chews and also dentastix, and anything from grocery store, all chemicals☹️

I know plaque busters are made from oyster shell and they are good you can get beef, fish, pumpkin and original flavour.

Same goes for Plaque off powder and plaque off dental chews, no chemicals.

Raw bones also don’t have chemicals.

How are Jelly’s teeth??

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I’m also looking for other dental chews for Rusty as he is picky and doesn’t like the yak chews and he is allergic to the Plaque busters and he doesn’t like raw bones or bully sticks.

I’m considering plaque off dental powder that I can add to his food to prevent new plaque, but I also need to search for other good chews because he is picky!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Raw marrow bones or Buffalo horns

Have you heard of Plaque off dental Powder being a good product, or have you used it on your dogs??

Rusty can’t have marrow bones as they are too rich for him, and my other dog broke a big Buffalo Horn and almost broke a tooth on it(she got lucky), since then I have avoided them!

Any experience or opinion on the Plaque off Powder??

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you heard of Plaque off dental Powder being a good product, or have you used it on your dogs??

Rusty can’t have marrow bones as they are too rich for him, and my other dog broke a big Buffalo Horn and almost broke a tooth on it(she got lucky), since then I have avoided them!

Any experience or opinion on the Plaque off Powder??
I have not used it on my dogs. Fortunately, my dogs don't have much plaque and the vet always comments on how good their teeth look. They chew on Nylabones or Benebones, etc, a lot which helps keep their teeth clean and then they occasionally get raw marrow bones which is good as well. Can you limit Rusty's chewing on them so he isn't getting too much at one time? I"ve never had issues with the buffalo horns.

A couple times a week I give my dogs Life Line Ocean Kelp and some people say that is a great for plaque and bad breath.

Mavis

Reaction score
How are Jelly’s teeth??
Right now, Jelly's teeth are gorgeous - nice and white and clean! I believe he has all of his adult teeth now because none of them are sharp and he looks like he has a full mouth to me. I can see them really clearly when he is on his back for rubs and has his mouth open. (He loves being on his back.) 🥰

Mavis

Reaction score
They chew on Nylabones or Benebones, etc
Now that Jelly is over six months, he seems to have stopped chewing his bones and toys pretty much. I wish he would do that for his teeth. He doesn't seem to mind me fingering his gums or mouth, so I am going to see how he does with brushing. Fingers crossed.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that Jelly is over six months, he seems to have stopped chewing his bones and toys pretty much. I wish he would do that for his teeth. He doesn't seem to mind me fingering his gums or mouth, so I am going to see how he does with brushing. Fingers crossed.
Well that's too bad. All of mine still love chewing their bones and toys and Jax is 9! I used to brush Jax's teeth when he was a puppy but that didn't last long. Never even tried with my other 2. Hopefully Jelly will show interest in chews again as he gets older.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Right now, Jelly's teeth are gorgeous - nice and white and clean! I believe he has all of his adult teeth now because none of them are sharp and he looks like he has a full mouth to me. I can see them really clearly when he is on his back for rubs and has his mouth open. (He loves being on his back.) 🥰

That’s awesome, hopefully he will enjoy you brushing his teeth, and that will be the most beneficial for preventing dental issues in the future!

Rusty has nice white teeth too, except a little bit of plaque at the back teeth, but that’s not much, I’m still trying to find something to prevent plaque buildup especially sometimes I forget to brush his teeth☹️

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

Rusty doesn’t really chew any of the toys, we used to use nylabones as chews until I found out they are made of plastic☹️
Not to mention, they would get so rough after being chewed and make his gums bleed, then I decided no more nylabones.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I have not used it on my dogs. Fortunately, my dogs don't have much plaque and the vet always comments on how good their teeth look. They chew on Nylabones or Benebones, etc, a lot which helps keep their teeth clean and then they occasionally get raw marrow bones which is good as well. Can you limit Rusty's chewing on them so he isn't getting too much at one time? I"ve never had issues with the buffalo horns.

A couple times a week I give my dogs Life Line Ocean Kelp and some people say that is a great for plaque and bad breath.

Rusty’s teeth look good, a little bit of plaque on his back teeth, which I brush off, however I want to do everything possible to prevent new plaque from forming.

Yes I can limit Rusty’s chewing time on the raw marrow bones.

The Buffalo horns are good for light chewers, however, all of my dogs are not soft chewers and that’s what caused my other dog to actually break it and almost broke a tooth☹️

I used to give them Nylabones and Benebones, they get super sharp after they chew on it and that was causing Rusty’s gums to bleed and I also didn’t realize it’s made of plastic, and the dogs weren’t super interested.

I will look into that supplement, probably very similar of how it works!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Rusty’s teeth look good, a little bit of plaque on his back teeth, which I brush off, however I want to do everything possible to prevent new plaque from forming.

Yes I can limit Rusty’s chewing time on the raw marrow bones.

The Buffalo horns are good for light chewers, however, all of my dogs are not soft chewers and that’s what caused my other dog to actually break it and almost broke a tooth☹️

I used to give them Nylabones and Benebones, they get super sharp after they chew on it and that was causing Rusty’s gums to bleed and I also didn’t realize it’s made of plastic, and the dogs weren’t super interested.

I will look into that supplement, probably very similar of how it works!
I throw out the Nylabones/Benebones as soon as the ends start to get jagged and ragged. They all like to chew on the same exact spot even though there are perfectly good spots on the bone that haven't been touched.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I use raw marrow bones have for about 17 years.. four dogs , no issues. The other are the same Citty mentioned, but when the edges get share, I dremel off the sharp pieces and smooth them out. Also, moose paddles are a favorite too