Screw tail!! Help!

ashleykt77

Reaction score
Hello! I have my sweet baby. A 5 month old Frenchie that has wicked tail infection right now. I’ve been crying all day. The vet is saying his tail needs amputated. This is his only infection he’s had. Is it prudent to do a surgery after just one infection? Vet seems very confident the infections will happen again. Please any advice!!?

Baer Rios

Reaction score
Post a picture if you can. If it can be tKen care without surgery, i would try that first. Just try to stay ontop of it as far as keeping it clean. I do t understand why would they go to the extreme of amputating. A second opion from another felt can also help . I would do that asap. Hope all goes well.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello! I have my sweet baby. A 5 month old Frenchie that has wicked tail infection right now. I’ve been crying all day. The vet is saying his tail needs amputated. This is his only infection he’s had. Is it prudent to do a surgery after just one infection? Vet seems very confident the infections will happen again. Please any advice!!?

can you post a picture? My bulldog had to have his removals the tail was twisted and growing back into the body. Best decision was to amputate.

ashleykt77

Reaction score
can you post a picture? My bulldog had to have his removals the tail was twisted and growing back into the body. Best decision was to amputate.

Yes they said same of my baby. That it’s corkscrewed and pushing into his skin. I’m new to all this so I had no idea this was even a thing 😓

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes they said same of my baby. That it’s corkscrewed and pushing into his skin. I’m new to all this so I had no idea this was even a thing [emoji29]

It’s best to do it why he is this young as the infections will continue they will not stop. My guy had one very bad infection that was really deep and luckily we caught it early enough that we waited a week for the infection to go away had the surgery and he was 10 months old he is now five years old and Never had another infection
95bc1e2730ffb82bb32e469f85013582.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ashleykt77

Reaction score
It’s best to do it why he is this young as the infections will continue they will not stop. My guy had one very bad infection that was really deep and luckily we caught it early enough that we waited a week for the infection to go away had the surgery and he was 10 months old he is now five years old and Never had another infection
95bc1e2730ffb82bb32e469f85013582.jpg

How was recovery? I am going to get a second opinion but I also think we will need it done. I’m just super scared about a surgery and a painful recovery. Thank you!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
How was recovery? I am going to get a second opinion but I also think we will need it done. I’m just super scared about a surgery and a painful recovery. Thank you!

Recovery was uneventful second day home he was wanting to run around and play as he normally did. It actually looks horrible but he was fine and recovery was a breeze. I have pictures let me dig them out

ashleykt77

Reaction score
Recovery was uneventful second day home he was wanting to run around and play as he normally did. It actually looks horrible but he was fine and recovery was a breeze. I have pictures let me dig them out

That’s so reassuring thank you. Was day 1 lots of pain? I feel like this infection was so painful and my kids cried all day that I can’t bear another painful event. But this is definitely good to hear. Thank you

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s so reassuring thank you. Was day 1 lots of pain? I feel like this infection was so painful and my kids cried all day that I can’t bear another painful event. But this is definitely good to hear. Thank you

Not at all he slept the entire time. Day two he was raring to go want to play wanted to run but he remained on crate rest for a week

ashleykt77

Reaction score
Not at all he slept the entire time. Day two he was raring to go want to play wanted to run but he remained on crate rest for a week

That’s so good to hear. How long did you keep him in crate? And you just let him out to eat/drink and use bathroom I’m assuming? Do you mind me asking what you paid? I feel like my quote was kinda high
Thanks again!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s so good to hear. How long did you keep him in crate? And you just let him out to eat/drink and use bathroom I’m assuming? Do you mind me asking what you paid? I feel like my quote was kinda high
Thanks again!

His surgery was in 2015— total cost was $900 with an overnight stay at hospital.

I think we did an x-pen set up in living room for a week. We fed him in there and only took out for potty in our yard. My boyfriend slept on couch next to him. I’ll try to find the pictures today now that I found the paperwork I know the dates to look at on computer