Shedding, shedding,shedding!!!

anns4boys

Reaction score
All the dogs i have owned over the last 27 years have been non shedding dogs. Now with two Frenchies, im in hair hell! Lol. Tallulah doesnt shed that much & never has. Munson on the other hand, had my house, clothes, car & anyone who touches him covered in whote hair!! It seems excessive & im not sure how to control it. I have a furminator rake/brush which works teriffic & use it on him daily. Sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, but the hsir just keeps on coming!

image.jpg

Heres the pile I got off of him after 5 min this morning! Is this normal? What else can i do to try & control the shedding? I feel bad. I don't even want to pick him up because if i do, i sm covered!!! Will it ever end?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! That is a lot of fur! Jax usually sheds pretty badly twice a year (winter coat and summer coat) but it's never been that bad. Do you give salmon oil which is supposed to be good for the skin/fur?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheli is like T... he barely sheds, except after a bath... then, wow, holy Hannah does the fur come off him. He is probably blowing his coat -- it usually last a couple weeks at least

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Wow!! That's a LOT of hair!! Munson is a hairy dude! I do give my pups salmon oil so I don't know if it helps with shedding or not but Wally does not shed that much.

I used Wally's brush on Uma to see how much hair would come off. There was 1 hair on the brush. lol! :D

anns4boys

Reaction score
Wow!! That's a LOT of hair!! Munson is a hairy dude! I do give my pups salmon oil so I don't know if it helps with shedding or not but Wally does not shed that much.

That was 5 min worth - i had to stop to get ready for work, but i swar i could brush him all day long & it would still come off! I give coconut oil, will have to try salmon oil.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Buster sheds very little, but his English brother sheds a lot all of the time.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I have noticed that the light fawns shed more than the dark brindle, at least is seems that way. We have three light fawns and constantly sweep up blonde hair, plus if you pick them up you will get hair on you. Our dark fawn and dark brindle, don't seem to shed that much, even when you run you hands down their backs, you don't rake off the hair like you do with the lighter one.s

Last edited:

blushy

Reaction score
Titan sheds HORRIBLY. If I move his cage there are PILES of fur surrounding it.

Isabelle sheds too. Not horrible. But I can tell her fur is totally different than Titans, his is extremely thin and soft, Isabelles is more like normal short hair dogs.

anns4boys

Reaction score
I have noticed that the light fawns shed for than the dark brindle, at least is seems that way. We have three light fawns and constantly sweep up blonde hair, plus if you pick them up you will get hair on you. Our dark fawn and dark brindle, don't seem to shed that much, even when you run you hands down their backs, you don't rake off the hair like you do with the lighter one.s

I was wondering that David. They both eat the same food and get the same oils and vitamins but T does not shed much at all. I really feel bad because I love cuddling with my boy, but the hair is just ridiculous. He was sleeping on our bed with the other dogs, but I had to stop for now, I can't wake up swimming in hair!

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Mine shed pretty bad and sleep on our bed so I put a "doggie sheet" over the blanket that they can sleep on and I have to use a roller in the morning before making the bed. Jake tends to snurf down under the covers.

hannah

Reaction score
I wonder if red fawns tend to shed lots..... Banksy doesn't shed at all now but he is still just a puppy. I hope he doesn't shed lots, my boyfriend is allergic to dogs =( that much shedding would make it tough for him.

THAT is a lot of hair though. My best friend has two blue fawns and they shed but not THAT much.

Chiana

Reaction score
David has a good point. That might explain it.
That seems like a LOT of hair if you get that much after each brushing, maybe he is in his shedding cycle in addition.

Moses is very dark brindle and he does not shed much, only few days when he changes from winter coat. I also use furminator and then finish off with a small hand-held dust vacuum cleaner to get all the loose hair out. The silly boy enjoys it, it must feel like a massage :D

Chiana

Reaction score
While talking about shedding...does your Frenchies change colour during shedding?

When Moses was a puppy, his fur was brown. When he changed to his adult fur, he became almost black and now after the last shedding he has almost like a celtic cross in his neck and back area.
Wondering how he will look like after his next shedding :)

Mo puppy fur.jpg Mo black fur.jpg Mo celtic fur.jpg

Tgirl

Reaction score
Wow, I have never seen that brown on a Frenchie before. That is amazing how much he changed, then changed again. What color is he registered as?

blushy

Reaction score
While talking about shedding...does your Frenchies change colour during shedding?

When Moses was a puppy, his fur was brown. When he changed to his adult fur, he became almost black and now after the last shedding he has almost like a celtic cross in his neck and back area.
Wondering how he will look like after his next shedding :)

View attachment 6367 View attachment 6368 View attachment 6371

Moses is a gorgeous boy!
Titan's dad looks like his 3rd pic! Gorgeous mix of browns/golds!

Chiana

Reaction score
Wow, I have never seen that brown on a Frenchie before. That is amazing how much he changed, then changed again. What color is he registered as?

When he was puppy he was all brown, so registered as color not recognized by KC. Now he is brindle.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Very cool colour! Wally's black fur slowly changed to a brindle in the last year or so.

Chiana

Reaction score
So funny with these guys. I have previously had dogs, but different breed and longer fur. Moses is our first bulldog and also first with short fur and were all quite surprised how his appearance changes. This never happened with our other dogs :)
My previous dogs only got grey hair when they got older, but no change during sheddings.
Moses colour also shows different in natural light and indoors, also his head has remained black, as seen in the profile pic on the left :D

Nellie

Reaction score
The furminator cuts the coat, you need to invest in a short coat Zoomgroom, use it on the coat whilst bathing the dog, towel dry the coat or blast if you have a blaster, while the coat is still damp zoomgroom again, always use the zoomgroom daily ,it will take a few weeks, until all the cut coat is gone but you should end up with a better more managable coat
Nellie & Frank