Skin problem small bumps, yeast? allergy?

ShonnyS

Reaction score
Hey everybody, nice to be here!!! I have been reading the forum for a long time now, I have a cream Frenchie called Huey, since march he has been developing some skin issues, at first the vet said it was yeast and give him some chlorhexidine shampoo, ketoconazole shampoo, and also some ketoconazole pills, then we switched the food for skin sensitive food, after some time the yeast infection started to disappear and the vet recommended some topic medicine with Gentamicin + Dexamethasone + Ketoconazole but it didn't help, I got tired and started reading blog posts and a mix from white vinegar + peroxide did the trick! now Huey was free of yeast, but just a couple of days later he started developing small bumps in the skin, they look like pimples at the first stages, then they convert into dark crusts, then they start to create small black particles over it, and later they convert into bald spots, they feel thicker than the rest of the skin and the ones near the tail make Huey to scratch on every furniture.

we are located in Cartagena - Colombia on hot - humid weather all year, he is a 100% apartment dog, he is 1 year and 12 days :p

I appreciate any recommendations while I find another vet:

these are pictures at different stages, i will try to order them based on the stage of the bump:

first stages:
photo_2020-09-23_14-33-57 (2).jpg
photo_2020-09-23_14-33-56 (3).jpg

black particles:
photo_2020-09-23_14-33-57.jpg

dark crust:
photo_2020-09-23_14-33-56 (2).jpg

bald spots

photo_2020-09-23_14-33-56.jpg

thanks in advance for taking the time to read:

PD: this is Huey

photo_2020-09-23_14-48-15.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks like a staph infection.... for food try to avoid chicken and grains if you can and add a probiotic to help strengthen immune system

ShonnyS

Reaction score
Thank you 2bullymama!!!, looking at staph infection pictures it looks like that is Huey's skin problem, About the food, he is eating a salmon-lamb no grain food recommended for dogs with sensitive skin here in Colombia.

tomorrow we will visiting the vet, anything you recommend to say to the vet?

thanks!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you 2bullymama!!!, looking at staph infection pictures it looks like that is Huey's skin problem, About the food, he is eating a salmon-lamb no grain food recommended for dogs with sensitive skin here in Colombia.

tomorrow we will visiting the vet, anything you recommend to say to the vet?

thanks!

See if you can get off the lamb, it can be a high allergen. Try to get on duck or turkey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
What did the vet say? I stay away from chicken and other warm/hot proteins for my very sensitive female Frenchie. She does the best on duck (cold protein) and salmon and beef which are neutral.

ShonnyS

Reaction score
thanks for your answers, the vet said it was a staph infection, prescribed some antibiotics and shampoos, honestly it didn't work he told me to stay on the same kibble, and then I saw no improvement, so I started with barf so I could eliminate proteins and its seems that Huey is allergic to chicken and lamb, right now I am trying beef and he has improved a lot in just a couple of days, this has been a long process but I feel we are almost there ��

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for your answers, the vet said it was a staph infection, prescribed some antibiotics and shampoos, honestly it didn't work he told me to stay on the same kibble, and then I saw no improvement, so I started with barf so I could eliminate proteins and its seems that Huey is allergic to chicken and lamb, right now I am trying beef and he has improved a lot in just a couple of days, this has been a long process but I feel we are almost there ��

Staph can be a long road... give a probiotic too, it help boost immune system. Also try duck, turkey or rabbit protein, they tend to be less of an allergen, but if you choose rabbit find a second as rabbit is very lean and can cause weight loss. I rotate between four duck, turkey, rabbit and tuna

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ShonnyS

Reaction score
hey everybody!!! after all this time we went through a lot, our last shot to find the cause of Huey's skin issue was an Allergens test, the result was alarming, he is allergic to:

beef, chicken, eggs, soy, milk, cigarette, pork :scared: almost everything he can eat, so he is on Vetlife ultrahypo, this is fish based whit 0 Soy:

7898604430605.png

everything has improved since we found the allergy trigger, thanks god it was from food and at least he is not allergic to fish.

just wanted to give you guys an update!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Great news... happy to hear you found the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Thanks for this update. Allergies are so frustrating, aren't they? But glad you got to the bottom of it and are seeing improvement!