Skin sores on my new puppy :(

frenchiemama24

Reaction score
Hi fellow frenchie mamas and papas,

We've had my 4 month old frenchie puppy for about a month and i need some advice on his skin. My fiance and I live in California, and we got our puppy from Miami. Ever since we got him about a month ago he has had these skin sores that scab over, mainly on his groin area (see photos). We took him to the vet and she didn't see any fleas but gave us flea medication that he took a couple nights ago. Over the past month the sores seem to get better and then come back, every few days. She said it could be environmental and advised us to try an "elimination" strategy to keep him off grass/stop giving him treats to see if either of those could be triggering his skin sores. I'm wondering could it be dust mites? Or some other type of allergy? Is he just not used to this climate? If you guys could look at the pics I included and let me know if you have any idea what this could be or what to do or have experienced this with your frenchie, I would greatly appreciate it to help my little guy feel better soon. He seems ok most of the time but sometimes he will lick and scratch at them and I can tell they really bother him when he does that. Please help, it's breaking my heart because I don't know what to do to help him quickly instead of this "wait and see" thing. Will be getting a second opinion from a different vet tomorrow but wanted to check in with other frenchie parents too. Thank you <3

Attachments

• pup_skin.jpg
    pup_skin.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 92
  • pup_skin2.jpg
    pup_skin2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi fellow frenchie mamas and papas,

We've had my 4 month old frenchie puppy for about a month and i need some advice on his skin. My fiance and I live in California, and we got our puppy from Miami. Ever since we got him about a month ago he has had these skin sores that scab over, mainly on his groin area (see photos). We took him to the vet and she didn't see any fleas but gave us flea medication that he took a couple nights ago. Over the past month the sores seem to get better and then come back, every few days. She said it could be environmental and advised us to try an "elimination" strategy to keep him off grass/stop giving him treats to see if either of those could be triggering his skin sores. I'm wondering could it be dust mites? Or some other type of allergy? Is he just not used to this climate? If you guys could look at the pics I included and let me know if you have any idea what this could be or what to do or have experienced this with your frenchie, I would greatly appreciate it to help my little guy feel better soon. He seems ok most of the time but sometimes he will lick and scratch at them and I can tell they really bother him when he does that. Please help, it's breaking my heart because I don't know what to do to help him quickly instead of this "wait and see" thing. Will be getting a second opinion from a different vet tomorrow but wanted to check in with other frenchie parents too. Thank you <3

Did the vet scrape to check for mange or test for ringworm? I would think staph infection, but not sure . You might want to have him checked by a different vet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk