sudden back/hip pain

ofeld

Reaction score
Hi! On Saturday my frenchie (Ollie - 2 years old) attempted to jump up on our bed. His first two paws got up but his back two did not so I picked him up and set him on the bed. He didn't fall, yelp, or seem to be in pain. Later that night he started moving more slowly, I had assumed he was just tired. Sunday morning his entire back half was very shakey, he was struggling to walk and get comfortable. We took him to the emergency vet and they said he appears to have torn or strained a muscle. He was prescribed rimadyl and plenty of rest. He has been resting the last couple days, although it does take him a while to get into a comfortable position. He will get up to eat but has no interest in drinking water. He walks very slowly and still appears weak in his back half. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Recommendations are welcome :)

Jeffc

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this I hope he gets well very soon. My oldest pup broke his leg a little over a year ago and had to have surgery. We kept him in a play pen for close to 8 weeks and monitored him extremely carefully. Hope the resting will prevent Ollie from needing surgery.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi! On Saturday my frenchie (Ollie - 2 years old) attempted to jump up on our bed. His first two paws got up but his back two did not so I picked him up and set him on the bed. He didn't fall, yelp, or seem to be in pain. Later that night he started moving more slowly, I had assumed he was just tired. Sunday morning his entire back half was very shakey, he was struggling to walk and get comfortable. We took him to the emergency vet and they said he appears to have torn or strained a muscle. He was prescribed rimadyl and plenty of rest. He has been resting the last couple days, although it does take him a while to get into a comfortable position. He will get up to eat but has no interest in drinking water. He walks very slowly and still appears weak in his back half. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Recommendations are welcome :)

Ask your vet about laser therapy... it does wonders for Chelios back issues. It is no invasive and lessens the inflammation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would definitely be very careful with this in case it’s a misdiagnosis and it’s something more serious like IVDD. I would definitely do strict crate rest but if he starts getting worse or no improvement, I’d probably see a neurologist. Time is if the essence when it comes to IVDD. Jax was originally diagnosed with a strain and less than a week later he had to have surgery for a herniated disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk