Sweaters

Mavis

Reaction score
It's getting chilly outside and Jelly hates going out even more than he did before. I got him a lightweight velour sweater and he took to it immediately after we put it on him - no fussing whatsoever and he can do everything in it. We haven't taken it off of him since we got it, except to wash it. He wears it 24/7 otherwise. Is it okay to keep a sweater on a dog all of the time?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
It's getting chilly outside and Jelly hates going out even more than he did before. I got him a lightweight velour sweater and he took to it immediately after we put it on him - no fussing whatsoever and he can do everything in it. We haven't taken it off of him since we got it, except to wash it. He wears it 24/7 otherwise. Is it okay to keep a sweater on a dog all of the time?

That’s awesome Jelly likes the sweaters, they definitely need it in the cold weather and it’s good to get them used to it when they are young!

Rusty actually waits for me to put his sweater on him in the morning, waits right where they are and looks at me, so smart!

If it’s cold inside your house and he doesn’t have much blankets in his bed, it shouldn’t be an issue to keep it on him 24/7. I take Rusty’s sweaters off him before bed because I worry he will get too warm since he has lots of cozy warm blankets in his bed, although when it’s extra cold he gets pajamas for bed. His sweaters go on in the morning and off before bed.

If Jelly has lots of warm blankets in his bed, I would worry he would get too warm with the sweater.

Can you attach a photo of Jelly with his sweater on??? I would love to see it!😊

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s awesome Jelly likes the sweaters, they definitely need it in the cold weather and it’s good to get them used to it when they are young!

Rusty actually waits for me to put his sweater on him in the morning, waits right where they are and looks at me, so smart!

If it’s cold inside your house and he doesn’t have much blankets in his bed, it shouldn’t be an issue to keep it on him 24/7. I take Rusty’s sweaters off him before bed because I worry he will get too warm since he has lots of cozy warm blankets in his bed, although when it’s extra cold he gets pajamas for bed. His sweaters go on in the morning and off before bed.

If Jelly has lots of warm blankets in his bed, I would worry he would get too warm with the sweater.

Can you attach a photo of Jelly with his sweater on??? I would love to see it!😊
You are so nice to want to see a picture! Jelly's crate is plush and has lots of padding, a bed, and lots of blankets. Still, we keep his sweater on at night as we like to have the fan on in the bedroom. Good to know it's not harmful to their skin to keep their sweaters on.Sweater 1.jpg

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
You are so nice to want to see a picture! Jelly's crate is plush and has lots of padding, a bed, and lots of blankets. Still, we keep his sweater on at night as we like to have the fan on in the bedroom. Good to know it's not harmful to their skin to keep their sweaters on.View attachment 16020
Thanks for sharing the photo!

Jelly looks so cute with the sweater on him! I like the sweater. Doesn’t look like he grow much, he is a very handsome frenchie!
I love seeing photos, especially with the sweaters/coats on 😀

Jelly actually looks like a healthy frenchie, skin looks great and shiny, it’s probably the good diet he is on, the Orijen and RR and rotating proteins!

Definitely not harmful to their skin to keep the sweater on him.

His bedding sounds like Rusty’s, we call it the pent house suite, and he loves it!

Mavis

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the photo!

Jelly looks so cute with the sweater on him! I like the sweater. Doesn’t look like he grow much, he is a very handsome frenchie!
I love seeing photos, especially with the sweaters/coats on 😀

Jelly actually looks like a healthy frenchie, skin looks great and shiny, it’s probably the good diet he is on, the Orijen and RR and rotating proteins!

Definitely not harmful to their skin to keep the sweater on him.

His bedding sounds like Rusty’s, we call it the pent house suite, and he loves it!
Thank you so much. Jelly has filled out but he's still a longer frenchie than he "should" be. He's 22.2 lbs. and 9.5 months old. He is so affectionate and is always on top of us or underfoot. He loves to give kisses but doesn't like being kissed on his head, my favorite thing. 😭 I'm hoping when we get him neutered (six months from now?), he'll calm down and may tolerate it. He is housebroken as far as peeing but not pooping. I have better success getting him to poop outside because I keep my squirt gun in hand and raise it when he wants to get back on the deck after peeing. He knows I mean business and will usually turn around and do his poops. My husband, forget it. Jelly hates the wet and cold grass and wants to come back in immediately. The first thing he does when he comes in is jump on the chair. We keep a towel on top of it. I swear it's to dry his feet. He is so funny.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Just watch for him getting to warm once you jack up your home heat. Cheli gives off some serious heat himself so I end to leave him naked in the house, but on really cold days, he has a jacket I put on him for going outside

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you so much. Jelly has filled out but he's still a longer frenchie than he "should" be. He's 22.2 lbs. and 9.5 months old. He is so affectionate and is always on top of us or underfoot. He loves to give kisses but doesn't like being kissed on his head, my favorite thing. 😭 I'm hoping when we get him neutered (six months from now?), he'll calm down and may tolerate it. He is housebroken as far as peeing but not pooping. I have better success getting him to poop outside because I keep my squirt gun in hand and raise it when he wants to get back on the deck after peeing. He knows I mean business and will usually turn around and do his poops. My husband, forget it. Jelly hates the wet and cold grass and wants to come back in immediately. The first thing he does when he comes in is jump on the chair. We keep a towel on top of it. I swear it's to dry his feet. He is so funny.

Some frenchies are longer, he doesn’t look longer than Rusty’s mom in the photo.

He weighs the same as Rusty now 🙂
Maybe he won’t get much bigger, or weigh much more. Jelly should be done his growing now.

For the neutering, yes 6 months from now or you can wait longer, but as you wait until after 12-18 months of age it’s good. I also like giving Rusty a kiss on the head and he enjoys the cuddles and kisses on the head, he loves the attention!

That’s good house training is going good for the most part, hopefully he continues to do everything outside and before it gets too cold for him to think he can just go in the house to potty, hopefully he continues to go outside.

Rusty hates the wet grass or pavement(even any puddles he won’t go near) and if it’s even sprinkling or is cold outside or windy Rusty goes outside VERY quickly and goes under the BBQ edge and under cover to do his business and makes it very fast and rushes inside to get to the dog bed or couch to get warm and dry! Even the snow he isn’t a fan of.

They are definitely so funny, their personalities are SO cute and funny, they are so smart too. They are my favourite breed!

Mavis

Reaction score
Some frenchies are longer, he doesn’t look longer than Rusty’s mom in the photo.

He weighs the same as Rusty now 🙂
Maybe he won’t get much bigger, or weigh much more. Jelly should be done his growing now.

For the neutering, yes 6 months from now or you can wait longer, but as you wait until after 12-18 months of age it’s good. I also like giving Rusty a kiss on the head and he enjoys the cuddles and kisses on the head, he loves the attention!

That’s good house training is going good for the most part, hopefully he continues to do everything outside and before it gets too cold for him to think he can just go in the house to potty, hopefully he continues to go outside.

Rusty hates the wet grass or pavement(even any puddles he won’t go near) and if it’s even sprinkling or is cold outside or windy Rusty goes outside VERY quickly and goes under the BBQ edge and under cover to do his business and makes it very fast and rushes inside to get to the dog bed or couch to get warm and dry! Even the snow he isn’t a fan of.

They are definitely so funny, their personalities are SO cute and funny, they are so smart too. They are my favourite breed!
I can't imagine when we get our first snow! Jelly's going to flip out. 😁 I'm going to have to take him out myself because John won't make him. Problem is, he often refuses to go out and he is too heavy for me to lift to take him out.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I can't imagine when we get our first snow! Jelly's going to flip out. 😁 I'm going to have to take him out myself because John won't make him. Problem is, he often refuses to go out and he is too heavy for me to lift to take him out.

Im sure Jelly won’t want to go out in the cold either! Some dogs love the snow(my other dogs love the snow), Rusty however Isn’t a fan of the snow, I always have to shovel a area on the grass for him or he won’t do his business, his paws go raw on the cold snow, boots he won’t walk in Lol!

Maybe Jelly will be ok if you shovel a small area for him?

They are definitely heavy to keep carrying🙁

Did you see the photo of Rusty sitting in the dog bed with his sweater yesterday?

Mavis

Reaction score
Did you see the photo of Rusty sitting in the dog bed with his sweater yesterday?
OMG, I don't know how I missed this!!! It's his Halloween sweater! What an adorable angel. I hope Jelly calms his fanny down like Rusty. You would think Jelly were walking on hot coals when he steps onto the grass. I call him our hot house tomato. He definitely loves his creature comforts and prefers wearing his sweater than not. He is such a baby. My husband will definitely shovel an area for him to go on the deck, but we'll see. Again, it's not me. I insist that he goes and I go out with him and let him in immediately after. John, on the other hand, thinks this is cruel treatment!

Mavis

Reaction score
Just watch for him getting to warm once you jack up your home heat.
We keep the house at 69, but the bedroom, where we are most of the time, is much cooler. Our bedroom is like our living room. It's where we watch tv. Anyway, I'm always freezing and have lots of layers on at any given time.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
OMG, I don't know how I missed this!!! It's his Halloween sweater! What an adorable angel. I hope Jelly calms his fanny down like Rusty. You would think Jelly were walking on hot coals when he steps onto the grass. I call him our hot house tomato. He definitely loves his creature comforts and prefers wearing his sweater than not. He is such a baby. My husband will definitely shovel an area for him to go on the deck, but we'll see. Again, it's not me. I insist that he goes and I go out with him and let him in immediately after. John, on the other hand, thinks this is cruel treatment!

Rusty’s sweater is not for halloween, I guess it Could be though cause of the colours🙂, he wore his last one out from last year so I ended up getting him a brand new one, he loves it(although he has more, I think this one is the warmest?) this one is used most of the time.

They sure are like babies, and they want to be warm at all times and be with their owners!

That can definitely get frustrating when house training Jelly cause Jelly will know who lets him get away with things and who doesn’t, hopefully he continues to go out to potty outside before the weather gets colder and more wet.

I love how they want to wear the sweaters, it’s so cute!

Mavis

Reaction score
I ended up getting him a brand new one, he loves it
Can you send me the link? I have such a wicked time finding sweaters that fit. If they fit in the neck, they are too big and too long elsewhere. Even on this one, which is perfect otherwise, it was too snug in the neck and had to be altered on the length. I had to cut the neck band in two places. It would be huge if I went up a size.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Can you send me the link? I have such a wicked time finding sweaters that fit. If they fit in the neck, they are too big and too long elsewhere. Even on this one, which is perfect otherwise, it was too snug in the neck and had to be altered on the length. I had to cut the neck band in two places. It would be huge if I went up a size.

I also had a hard time finding sweaters for him cause the frenchie odd shape, but I find these fit really good on him, these fit Frenchies good, and on their website it shows some frenchies.

Canada Pooch is the name of the brand.

They have a size guide online, in this orange and white, Rusty is a 16.

Rusty is 12.5-13” long from his neck to tail, and the widest part of him is 22.5”

The neck part is flexible for wide chest breeds.

But depending on how the sweaters are made it varies what size.

We got him a blue plaid sweater from Canada pooch and Rusty was a 14 not 16 cause those ones are a little bigger.

I will attach photo of how it fits him, Jelly being a little longer makes up for the being less wide, if a sweater says its 14” long and less wide, I get that cause him being wider makes it less long on Rusty.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

Here is the photos I attached, you can see it’s flexible in the chest area for the wide chest breeds. And it ends at his tail, when he goes outside we always roll it up a tiny bit so he can do everything, he can pee without us rolling it up too.

The blue plaid sweater it won’t let me attach.

Attachments

• D82F4ABA-6440-4AA2-BC6C-3F2BAE4FF866.jpeg
    D82F4ABA-6440-4AA2-BC6C-3F2BAE4FF866.jpeg
    921.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DB4D645A-27AD-498E-8CD1-649F2DD29645.jpeg
    DB4D645A-27AD-498E-8CD1-649F2DD29645.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
here is Rusty in the blue plaid sweater from Canada pooch, this one is the one he is a size 14, the orange he was a size 16, cause this one is made bigger I think but ended up being same size as 16 in the orange.

He is wearing size 14 in this one. Fits him good but he gave me a dirty look in the photo cause I wasn’t home with him

Attachments

• 1667246979679.jpeg
    1667246979679.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 6

Mavis

Reaction score
here is Rusty in the blue plaid sweater from Canada pooch, this one is the one he is a size 14, the orange he was a size 16, cause this one is made bigger I think but ended up being same size as 16 in the orange.

He is wearing size 14 in this one. Fits him good but he gave me a dirty look in the photo cause I wasn’t home with him
Hahaha!!! These pictures are adorable!!!!! I love frenchies in sweaters/jammies! 😭 I love the neckline in the first picture. They should all be made this way! Jelly's chest is 22" also. I believe his length was 15" last time I measured. Thank you for the link!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hahaha!!! These pictures are adorable!!!!! I love frenchies in sweaters/jammies! 😭 I love the neckline in the first picture. They should all be made this way! Jelly's chest is 22" also. I believe his length was 15" last time I measured. Thank you for the link!

Definitely frenchies are the cutest in the sweaters!

Jelly is probably a 16 or 14, the 18 is very long when I seen it in the store. Rusty’s 16 just goes over him tail.

Was it Jelly sides(the widest part)that was 22”? I thought Jelly wasn’t as wide as Rusty?