Tear Stains on Blue puppy! Help!

Devonowen17

Reaction score
I'm sure there are threads about this but I am new to the site and figured I would ask. My 12 weeks old solid blue pup is getting rusty colored tea stains. He's eating Purina Pro Plan Puppy and we are planning to change him to a grain free brand because I have heard that will help. Also he only drinks filtered water from stainless bowls so that shouldn't be the cause. I have been using aloe wipes and a little peroxide because that is what I read online. But it is starting to lighten the blue hair not just the stainsand the stains are still there. Any suggestions on products or home remedies that work?? The red brown stains really look terrible on his sweet blue face :(

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
It's usually food or environmental allergies causing the tear stains, but he's a bit young for environental. I would gradually transition him over to Fromm Heartland Grain Free Puppy or Orijen puppy. You can try cleaning the stains with a boric acid commercial eye rinse like Collyrium Fresh, or with a commerical wipe like Malacetic followed by witch hazel, or some curaseb or malaseb shampoo which is washed off and dried, all followed by Desitin ointment. If it really bothers you there's an antibiotic the vet can prescribe called tilosin, that will work for sure, but it's better not to use that since you want to reserve that for more serious problems like chronic diarrhea.

Devonowen17

Reaction score
Yes I just ordered some of the Malacetic cleanser! Also we were looking At transitioning him to Taste of the Wild Grain Free puppy. Would you reccommend
Fromm Heartland over that? Thank you for the response! I don't think his is environmental either but I did read puppies sometimes tear more when teething. Hopefully changing the food helps

It's usually food or environmental allergies causing the tear stains, but he's a bit young for environental. I would gradually transition him over to Fromm Heartland Grain Free Puppy or Orijen puppy. You can try cleaning the stains with a boric acid commercial eye rinse like Collyrium Fresh, or with a commerical wipe like Malacetic followed by witch hazel, or some curaseb or malaseb shampoo which is washed off and dried, all followed by Desitin ointment. If it really bothers you there's an antibiotic the vet can prescribe called tilosin, that will work for sure, but it's better not to use that since you want to reserve that for more serious problems like chronic diarrhea.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
TOTW brand is good quality, but I don't like that brand since its made for them by Diamond Foods, which has had a lot of recalls. I think you are better off with the Fromm or Orijen. You can use the directions on bag for feeding amounts as a starter, but then titrate the food as per stool consistency. Very loose stools- too much food, decrease amount feeding. Very hard stool- too little food, increase amount feeding. Buy a small bag to begin with in case your dog doesn't like taste or gets loose stools. Chewy.com, petco and pet smart will take back returns if bag is nearly full. My dog didn't like taste of Fromm, but a lot of members here use it. Some people are using Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw food if their dog is quite allergic, for puppies you can choose from Embark or Spruce. My dog didn't like taste of Honest Kitchen either.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Great advice given!

We feed Fromm and started in the heartland grain free beef and then moved to pork and peas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
You've had good advice. We feed Natures Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Turkey and the boys both do really well on it!

Cary

Reaction score
Great tips here! I searched for a good shampoo for my dog recently and I came a cross this article and there was mentioned that Desitin helps in removing tear staining. I saw that here other people suggest Desitin too so I think to try and see if it will help.