Tear Stains!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Luckily Leo only has the stains, no smell associated with it. He is on grain free and raw food. I'm just wondering what will take the stain color away from his white fur.

Have you been able to get rid of Leo's tear stains? I just noticed Jax has them. Is the witch hazel to keep them away or does it get rid of them?

mhuinker

Reaction score
Have you been able to get rid of Leo's tear stains? I just noticed Jax has them. Is the witch hazel to keep them away or does it get rid of them?
[MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION] unfortunately, I have not tried to get rid of them with anything yet. I just wash his face every morning to keep them form getting worse and to keep his little face smelling nice. :) I wipe his folds with a wet/damp washcloth. They have not gotten any worse, but no better either. Hopefully, after the holidays and when things aren't so crazy around here I can do some research and see what works for him.

I Love Louie

Reaction score
Louie has them and I just want to know how do you get them to stay still long enough to wash their folds? He moves and tries to bite the cloth. I can't get him to stay still!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Louie has them and I just want to know how do you get them to stay still long enough to wash their folds? He moves and tries to bite the cloth. I can't get him to stay still!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to have my BF hold him and then I grab his face and go to town! He definitely does not like it though.

trishkidd24

Reaction score
I have been using the malacetic otic about once a week to treat the stains and it seems to be helping. Marg isn't currently on a grain free food, so maybe that would help? She hasnt had any allergies come up to where we wanted to switch her food, she just graduated from the Fromm Puppy to the Fromm Salmon a la Veg, but it is not the grain free kind.

winginit66

Reaction score
Gidget is on Grain free Blue Buffalo, but that doesn't seem to help the tear stains. I've been using some witch hazel. I haven't found the malecetic stuff yet.

mhuinker

Reaction score
Leo is on a grain free & raw diet, with some carrots and no drinking water from the tap (we are on city water)..... I believe where he came from he was on well water and on the white half of his face, his tear stain was pretty prominant. I have not used anything on him, other than the water change, and every single morning, he gets a warm wash cloth (just wet, no soap or anything) to his face and folds, and over the past 4 months that we have had him, that tear stain has significantly disappeared! :) Yah!

Here is his face when we first got him:
LEO.jpg

And here is a more recent photo (Christmas):
DSC_0782.jpg

Ignore the last picture, I can't seem to delete it, but it's also a picture of when we first got him. (the thumbnail attachment)

Attachments

• usuvemeb.jpg
    usuvemeb.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 343

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mac's tear stains haven't gotten worse since I started giving him distilledwater instead of tap water.

winginit66

Reaction score
Leo is on a grain free & raw diet, with some carrots and no drinking water from the tap (we are on city water)..... I believe where he came from he was on well water and on the white half of his face, his tear stain was pretty prominant. I have not used anything on him, other than the water change, and every single morning, he gets a warm wash cloth (just wet, no soap or anything) to his face and folds, and over the past 4 months that we have had him, that tear stain has significantly disappeared! :) Yah!

Here is his face when we first got him:
View attachment 2387

And here is a more recent photo (Christmas):
View attachment 2386

Ignore the last picture, I can't seem to delete it, but it's also a picture of when we first got him. (the thumbnail attachment)

Good job! That is a significant improvement!!!

Reaction score

ForestDweller

Reaction score
My frenchies have dark faces and don't really show any stains, but my EB is white with thick wrinkles and deep folds, so I really have to keep a tight cleaning regimen with him to keep clean and stain free.

I use hydrogen peroxide once a week... I apply it with a q- tip and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I wipe dry with a paper towel. Once the folds are dry, I apply aqaphor or a&d ointment to protect the skin and keep tears from soaking in. In between peroxide treatments, I wipe his folds daily with a natural baby wipe and then dry them and apply ointment as needed.

For the frenchies, I just have to use a baby wipe each day and add ointment as needed.

I should also mention that my water is from a local spring ( I live in the country) and I feed wellness core grain free original kibble.

winginit66

Reaction score
I worry about using hydrogen peroxide and getting it in the eyes. I wear contacts and use the hydrogen peroxide cleaning solution. That stuff BURNS if you get it in your eyes before it's neutralized.

ForestDweller

Reaction score
I am very careful with the peroxide... just a little dip with a q-tip well below the eyes and I have never had any problems actually getting it into the eyes. As long as a person is careful and doesn't try to flush or spray the folds, you should be just fine.

hjjohnson0

Reaction score
Is witch hazel safe to use, it won't burn irritate the skin? I'm a new frenchie owner and want to be proactive. How often do you wipe down?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Is witch hazel safe to use, it won't burn irritate the skin? I'm a new frenchie owner and want to be proactive. How often do you wipe down?

yes, it does not sting and it has natural dry agent too

coolcat46

Reaction score
Just googled the wipes and ordered some for Winston, just a quick question do you use the wipe then dry the area with paper towel? I've bought some for Winstons face and his paws.
I dont dry after using then wipes, read on the forum you dont have to.....

meggypoo328

Reaction score
"That tear stain stuff" it's a powder you put in their food, kills the yeast and bacteria that makes the stains.

Photogirl107

Reaction score
[MENTION=807]meggypoo328[/MENTION] - I used to give Cooper that angel eyes stuff and it gave him diarrhea! I've tried so many things for his stains and just when I think it's working, the stains get worse again. I am at a loss!! I do think filtered water helps. But now he has bumps/scabs on his back!!

meggypoo328

Reaction score
[MENTION=698]Photogirl107[/MENTION] that year stain stuff hasn't given henrik diarrhea. I've given it to him since he was a month old. No problems at all.