The Farmer's Dog Food

ptgc

Reaction score
Hello: I have a question for the FB Forum...does anyone feed their dog The Farmer's Dog Food? This may only pertain to the French Bull dogs in the US only and they may not supply outside the States? The dog food is freshly made and mfg. by a reputable company originating in NY, their website is https://www.thefarmersdog.com/ There is a lot of great reviews and many French Bulldogs on this type of food. I started feeding Petey this freshly made dog food for 5 weeks now and he just loves it, he transitioned very well from his kibble to the fresh food, no intestinal issues and has done well on it except recently we started to see small hives and now patches of eczema (dry skin) on his body. I'm wondering if there is something in the food that maybe causing this allergic reaction? If anyone feeds their French Bulldog this type of food I'd be very interested in hearing more on how their overall doing and if they've had any problems... I'll list the ingredients below in my post and I'd be very interested in hearing any feedback on this issue...Thank you!

TURKEY & PARSNIP RECIPE FOR DOGS

INGREDIENTS: Turkey, Chickpeas, Carrot, Broccoli, Parsnip, Spinach, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sea Salt, Fish Oil, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Choline Bitartrate, Taurine, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS Crude Protein: 9% min. Crude Fat: 4.5% min. Crude Fiber: 1.5% max. Moisture: 76% max

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I looked into it at one point, but was too expensive.

He might be allergic to turkey... are you rotating protein? You should rotate three protein s to help lessen allergies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gka

Reaction score
I agree with [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION]. The same thing happened to Yuki after I had him on poultry including duck..hives and a big scaly spot on his chest. After I changed him to Fromm Pork and Applesauce, everything cleared up.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Looks like a good product. There's a summary of similar companies in this article in whole-dog-journal https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/food/fresh-dried-dehydrated/fresh-dog-food-a-review-of-refrigerated-dog-food-sold-in-stores/ If you can't find what you want with The Farmer's Dog there seem to be a few similar ones out now eg. Raised Right Beef recipe contains:
Beef, Beef Heart, Carrots, Peas, Beef Liver, Cranberries, Organic Spearmint, Flaxseed Oil, Egg Shell Powder, Cod Liver Oil, Organic Dried Kelp.

ptgc

Reaction score
Thanks I'll see if they can substitute Pork for Turkey and see how he does. Thank you all for your feedback...I'll keep you posted.

ptgc

Reaction score
Great website link "whole dog journal". I was able to find interesting topics on fresh dog food. The Farmer's Dog food company will not substitute the turkey for pork, so we'll see how long we end up staying with them...we're taking Petey in for a checkup on his hives and dry skin patches, we may end up switching food again ughhh...he really loves the Farmer's dog food...

ptgc

Reaction score
I have another question for the forum. How much calories should I be feeding my French Bulldog if he is a large Frenchie currently 37lbs? Since he’s been on the Farmers dog food he always seems hungry and I don’t know if we should increase his calories, he’s currently getting 532 calories a day. Thanks for your feedback!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have another question for the forum. How much calories should I be feeding my French Bulldog if he is a large Frenchie currently 37lbs? Since he’s been on the Farmers dog food he always seems hungry and I don’t know if we should increase his calories, he’s currently getting 532 calories a day. Thanks for your feedback!

I don’t really go by calories but I feed raw and do about 2% of Jax’s weight. He gets about 5.30 ounces per meal twice a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ptgc

Reaction score
If I remember correctly Jax is a big frenchie... if I use your calcs Petey is getting more than enough food. If anything he isn’t losing weight and looks healthy and happy. I’ll check with his vet on their calculations for his diet. Overall I think we’re feeding him enough, he’s just a porker and wants more food because it taste good! Thanks for your feedback!

Jstone710

Reaction score
I'm currently feeding my dog this food and I think it's great but the reason I joined this forum is because by dog laps his food into a paste that and can't eat much of it. I've loosened it up with water to make it much like soup but he just laps it up until the liquid is gone and it becomes paste again. I'm going to try puree it tonight and see if that helps. That's my only issue at this point but it may lead me to go in another direction.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I'm currently feeding my dog this food and I think it's great but the reason I joined this forum is because by dog laps his food into a paste that and can't eat much of it. I've loosened it up with water to make it much like soup but he just laps it up until the liquid is gone and it becomes paste again. I'm going to try puree it tonight and see if that helps. That's my only issue at this point but it may lead me to go in another direction.

Since you have tried adding water with no success, have you tried only put a small amount of his meal in the food dish at once?? Maybe that will help him eat it better.

How long has he been on this food?

How come he can’t eat much of it when it turns into a paste?

Jstone710

Reaction score
Since you have tried adding water with no success, have you tried only put a small amount of his meal in the food dish at once?? Maybe that will help him eat it better.

How long has he been on this food?

How come he can’t eat much of it when it turns into a paste?
I have tried to putting a little smaller amounts when I water it down. Maybe even smaller. I will try again. I've also been told to add brewers yeast to thicken it up or make it clumpy.

We've been on fresh made food for near a year now but making it at home mostly. Switch to "The Farmers Dog" about 3 months ago.

When he tries to eat he uses his tongue and doesn't chomp. His tongue presses down the food so he's just licking the top of the food and not getting much into his mouth unless we hand feed him. I may have to go back to some high end kibble maybe.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I have tried to putting a little smaller amounts when I water it down. Maybe even smaller. I will try again. I've also been told to add brewers yeast to thicken it up or make it clumpy.

We've been on fresh made food for near a year now but making it at home mostly. Switch to "The Farmers Dog" about 3 months ago.

When he tries to eat he uses his tongue and doesn't chomp. His tongue presses down the food so he's just licking the top of the food and not getting much into his mouth unless we hand feed him. I may have to go back to some high end kibble maybe.

It’s normal for them to not chew and only lick it up and swallow.

Was there any issues when you cooked for him before the farmers dog food?

There is other pre made homemade foods like Raised Right gently cooked human grade dog food, and Open Farm Gently cooked.

@Mavis Does Jelly do this when he eats Raised Right? Rusty never did this when eating gently cooked.

Maybe consider trying Raised Right premade gently cooked dog food or open farm gently cooked, Raised Right is a little thicker and easier for them to grab than the homemade food I was cooking for him. Maybe try something like that and see if it’s easier for him to eat.

Jeffc

Reaction score
We fed ours Farmers dog with kibble for a short while. It upset our male’s tummy. We have now been feeding them Ollie with kibble for over two years, with good results.