Thoughts on grain free food🤔

Gigi&Koji🐶🐶

Reaction score
Ive always fed grain free but My vet strongly recommended grains because of the things that came out about it affecting the heart so I changed a yr or 2 ago. My breeder said grain free only an thats probably why my female has developed flank alopecia . So I've changed back to grain free. Should I stick with grain free any thoughts ??

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Ive always fed grain free but My vet strongly recommended grains because of the things that came out about it affecting the heart so I changed a yr or 2 ago. My breeder said grain free only an thats probably why my female has developed flank alopecia . So I've changed back to grain free. Should I stick with grain free any thoughts ??

It depends of what the food is.

What brand and protein are you feeding???

Even some foods with grains have been linked to DCM. Avoid foods with potatoes, legumes such as peas, chickpeas, and avoid lentils, and also butternut squash avoid as it’s blocking the absorption of taurine amino acid. Processing also is an issue as some amino acids are lost.

If you feed Raw diet or ‘lightly cooked’ such as Raised Right human grade dog food, no risk of Taurine deficiency or DCM as the meat is rich in Taurine.

I’m happy to help😊
I do have knowledge on nutrition for dogs and have taken 3 courses, and I like helping improve the health and diet for dogs(especially Frenchies)😊

Gigi&Koji🐶🐶

Reaction score
It depends of what the food is.

What brand and protein are you feeding???

Even some foods with grains have been linked to DCM. Avoid foods with potatoes, legumes such as peas, chickpeas, and avoid lentils, and also butternut squash avoid as it’s blocking the absorption of taurine amino acid. Processing also is an issue as some amino acids are lost.

If you feed Raw diet or ‘lightly cooked’ such as Raised Right human grade dog food, no risk of Taurine deficiency or DCM as the meat is rich in Taurine.

I’m happy to help😊
I do have knowledge on nutrition for dogs and have taken 3 courses, and I like helping improve the health and diet for dogs(especially Frenchies)😊
Rite now I have the wellness core rawrev in the ocean. I bought the last few bags my local store had. I have 5 dogs an 5 kids I don't think I can do raw. I have a Caucasian shepherd an he eats sooo much . This alopecia is driving me crazy. But it's confusing when my vet of 10yrs is saying oh no change asap an the person I got my frenchie from is saying omg no its gota be grain free . It's like what do I do🤷‍♀️

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Rite now I have the wellness core rawrev in the ocean. I bought the last few bags my local store had. I have 5 dogs an 5 kids I don't think I can do raw. I have a Caucasian shepherd an he eats sooo much . This alopecia is driving me crazy. But it's confusing when my vet of 10yrs is saying oh no change asap an the person I got my frenchie from is saying omg no its gota be grain free . It's like what do I do🤷‍♀️

I know raw is not for everyone, can cost the same as kibble sometimes.

I just looked up the other formulas from the brand you said(haven’t looked at ocean recipe yet), but they all use lots of peas, and lentils which is a huge contributor to DCM.
A lot is still unknown about DCM.

But based on the ingredients and additives used in the food, it’s low quality protein being used, I know that because there are added synthetic vitamins being used which don’t actually need to be added(and also aren’t absorbed by the dog eating it and it causes more harm than good). When high quality protein and other high quality ingredients are used, there is no need to add synthetic vitamins in because the high quality protein is used which is where they get the vitamins from.

You can get good kibble, without having the risk of DCM and that also don’t have synthetic vitamins added.

Frenchies don’t usually tolerate grains and it often causes other Heath issues and inflammation-especially in Frenchies!

I know it’s very frustrating and confusing when the breeder says one thing and the vet says a different thing(I have been thru the same thing before I did my courses in dog nutrition), it’s very confusing and frustrating. It depends on the formula and even grain included foods have been recalled due to DCM. The Royal canin and hills and purina ( all 3 of these foods is what vets recommend and they al have been recalled for DCM and it’s all the garbage and fillers causing the issue, using cheap ingredients for protein and less meat).

Vets have no nutrition training, same with doctors, you don’t ask your doctor nutrition advice, you have to do the same with dogs, do your research(which vets also need to do), or ask someone who knows dog nutrition.

I work at a holistic wellness pet store and get asked this every day as well as allergy and skin issues(also lots of Frenchies come in).

I know a few kibble brands that have worked good for grain issues, no synthetics and also no risk of DCM.
If your interested I can give you detail on those kibbles?

I’m happy to help😊

Gigi&Koji🐶🐶

Reaction score
I know raw is not for everyone, can cost the same as kibble sometimes.

I just looked up the other formulas from the brand you said(haven’t looked at ocean recipe yet), but they all use lots of peas, and lentils which is a huge contributor to DCM.
A lot is still unknown about DCM.

But based on the ingredients and additives used in the food, it’s low quality protein being used, I know that because there are added synthetic vitamins being used which don’t actually need to be added(and also aren’t absorbed by the dog eating it and it causes more harm than good). When high quality protein and other high quality ingredients are used, there is no need to add synthetic vitamins in because the high quality protein is used which is where they get the vitamins from.

You can get good kibble, without having the risk of DCM and that also don’t have synthetic vitamins added.

Frenchies don’t usually tolerate grains and it often causes other Heath issues and inflammation-especially in Frenchies!

I know it’s very frustrating and confusing when the breeder says one thing and the vet says a different thing(I have been thru the same thing before I did my courses in dog nutrition), it’s very confusing and frustrating. It depends on the formula and even grain included foods have been recalled due to DCM. The Royal canin and hills and purina ( all 3 of these foods is what vets recommend and they al have been recalled for DCM and it’s all the garbage and fillers causing the issue, using cheap ingredients for protein and less meat).

Vets have no nutrition training, same with doctors, you don’t ask your doctor nutrition advice, you have to do the same with dogs, do your research(which vets also need to do), or ask someone who knows dog nutrition.

I work at a holistic wellness pet store and get asked this every day as well as allergy and skin issues(also lots of Frenchies come in).

I know a few kibble brands that have worked good for grain issues, no synthetics and also no risk of DCM.
If your interested I can give you detail on those kibbles?

I’m happy to help😊
Really an wellness was not cheap so I figured it was a good food. I have fed orijen an arcana in the past but it was when I only had 1 dog and a couple kids 🤣🤣 what's a good choice when u have multiple dogs one being around 150lbs. My husband works away from home for a month at a time so it all falls on me but I'm trying ..

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Really an wellness was not cheap so I figured it was a good food. I have fed orijen an arcana in the past but it was when I only had 1 dog and a couple kids 🤣🤣 what's a good choice when u have multiple dogs one being around 150lbs. My husband works away from home for a month at a time so it all falls on me but I'm trying ..

It’s very frustrating when the kibble is expensive and you think it’s good food(I used to think that as well).

-Natures Logic is a very high quality kibble, no synthetics, minimal processed, and all amino acids come from the meat no synthetics. It has probiotics in it too( that’s at the end of the ingredients other than the food ingredients which is good).
No Ingredients in it that are linked to DCM.

Millet is used which is not considered a grain and is good for dogs allergic to grains, it’s around $100 for 25 pound bag(depending on which protein you choose), which is reasonable. We have many people with great success with this kibble, someone actually buys it for 4 150lb mastiffs.

-The other kibble I recommend is Carna 4, it uses whole foods, no synthetics just like Natures Logic. Sprouted barley seed is not the same as barley, it also has probiotics in it too. The only difference with this kibble is it’s actually Oven Baked nuggets and is the closest to raw diet in a kibble form. It’s very expensive though but still very popular for allergy dogs too. It’s around $170 for a 22 lb bag depending on the formula.

Natures logic would likely be more cost effective for your dogs.

-Acana is good, But Orijen is better than Acana(same people make these brands).

If you choose to go with Natures Logic or even if you just did it for your Frenchie to see if it helps with the health issues, and skin.
But if your concerned about DCM still for your other dogs, and want to give them extra taurine, you can give all your dogs(even if the Frenchie is eating natures Logic did example), you can give all your dogs canned Sardines packed in water.

Give 1/2 can per week for the Frenchie and 1-2 cans a week for the 150lb dog(1 should be enough while costing less $).

Eggs are also good to add but I would try the sardines if you can’t switch all your dogs to a better food that I listed.

Gigi&Koji🐶🐶

Reaction score
It’s very frustrating when the kibble is expensive and you think it’s good food(I used to think that as well).

-Natures Logic is a very high quality kibble, no synthetics, minimal processed, and all amino acids come from the meat no synthetics. It has probiotics in it too( that’s at the end of the ingredients other than the food ingredients which is good).
No Ingredients in it that are linked to DCM.

Millet is used which is not considered a grain and is good for dogs allergic to grains, it’s around $100 for 25 pound bag(depending on which protein you choose), which is reasonable. We have many people with great success with this kibble, someone actually buys it for 4 150lb mastiffs.

-The other kibble I recommend is Carna 4, it uses whole foods, no synthetics just like Natures Logic. Sprouted barley seed is not the same as barley, it also has probiotics in it too. The only difference with this kibble is it’s actually Oven Baked nuggets and is the closest to raw diet in a kibble form. It’s very expensive though but still very popular for allergy dogs too. It’s around $170 for a 22 lb bag depending on the formula.

Natures logic would likely be more cost effective for your dogs.

-Acana is good, But Orijen is better than Acana(same people make these brands).

If you choose to go with Natures Logic or even if you just did it for your Frenchie to see if it helps with the health issues, and skin.
But if your concerned about DCM still for your other dogs, and want to give them extra taurine, you can give all your dogs(even if the Frenchie is eating natures Logic did example), you can give all your dogs canned Sardines packed in water.

Give 1/2 can per week for the Frenchie and 1-2 cans a week for the 150lb dog(1 should be enough while costing less $).

Eggs are also good to add but I would try the sardines if you can’t switch all your dogs to a better food that I listed.
Ok I will look these up tomorrow I have started giving eggs. The breeder suggested tuna but i can do sardines. I bought bully max vitamins with 300 mg omega but all my dogs wont touch them .An any more food info for her alopecia keep it coming I will listen to anything u recommend. It's so bad her hair isn't thinning it's completely bald on both sides an it starting to spread down her back legs ughhh

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Ok I will look these up tomorrow I have started giving eggs. The breeder suggested tuna but i can do sardines. I bought bully max vitamins with 300 mg omega but all my dogs wont touch them .An any more food info for her alopecia keep it coming I will listen to anything u recommend. It's so bad her hair isn't thinning it's completely bald on both sides an it starting to spread down her back legs ughhh

Melatonin is good for alopecia. Pet Well-being has a supplement called Melatonin.

Boost immune system thru diet, if you can, fresh food is best(lightly cooked dog food such as Raised Right), or raw diet.

If you still want to stay with kibble for her you can try Natures Logic or Carna 4 nuggets.

Maybe Natures Logic Rabbit formula or Sardine recipe?

Omega 3 are important too.

The added synthetic vitamin supplement you said they don’t like, I would give her just good food, Omega 3 such as Herring oil that also has vitamin E in it too(I use Thrive brand which is great). If she is allergic to chicken, maybe don’t give her eggs right now.
Any signs of allergies other than alopecia? Any itchy skin, paw chewing or hives??

Was her Alopecia bad when she was on grain free or did it start only when you gave her a food with grains??? If it started only when you fed the grain formula and if she was good on grain free then she is likely allergic to the grains!

I don’t have actual experience with Alopecia, but I know people who have done this with their dogs with good results from following the above, especially the diet change and omega 3 and some respond good to melatonin. The better food will boost the immune system which is a big part of the cause.

Keep us updated 😊

Gigi&Koji🐶🐶

Reaction score
Melatonin is good for alopecia. Pet Well-being has a supplement called Melatonin.

Boost immune system thru diet, if you can, fresh food is best(lightly cooked dog food such as Raised Right), or raw diet.

If you still want to stay with kibble for her you can try Natures Logic or Carna 4 nuggets.

Maybe Natures Logic Rabbit formula or Sardine recipe?

Omega 3 are important too.

The added synthetic vitamin supplement you said they don’t like, I would give her just good food, Omega 3 such as Herring oil that also has vitamin E in it too(I use Thrive brand which is great). If she is allergic to chicken, maybe don’t give her eggs right now.
Any signs of allergies other than alopecia? Any itchy skin, paw chewing or hives??

Was her Alopecia bad when she was on grain free or did it start only when you gave her a food with grains??? If it started only when you fed the grain formula and if she was good on grain free then she is likely allergic to the grains!

I don’t have actual experience with Alopecia, but I know people who have done this with their dogs with good results from following the above, especially the diet change and omega 3 and some respond good to melatonin. The better food will boost the immune system which is a big part of the cause.

Keep us updated 😊
Shes been on grain most of her life an this started maybe almost a yr ago. Shes a little over 2 .No other signs of allergies at all . We have started the melatonin the only advice my vet gave me except for salmon oil. Oh yea I have been seeing alot of old post saying frenchies are allergic to chicken so idk about the eggs . I know the bald places where really scaley an dry so I been putting coconut oil on them . But there not red or anything an she never scratches . But the only thing i didn't understand is if it's seasonal alopecia why it never grows back. It's been like this since about last summer . From reading about it it it says the hair will grow back in the summer but hers isn't it just seem to be goin to her back legs now

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
While the whole DCM and grain free link is still not proven, the potential link isn’t really in the lack of grains but it’s in the legumes and fillers used in place of grains. They say it could be the lack of taurine which is found in animal protein. A raw fed diet has taurine naturally it it. Sardines also have taurine.

Gigi&Koji🐶🐶

Reaction score
While the whole DCM and grain free link is still not proven, the potential link isn’t really in the lack of grains but it’s in the legumes and fillers used in place of grains. They say it could be the lack of taurine which is found in animal protein. A raw fed diet has taurine naturally it it. Sardines also have taurine.
Yea im definitely gona add sardines to their diet an switch foods again 😔 an stay on grain free

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Shes been on grain most of her life an this started maybe almost a yr ago. Shes a little over 2 .No other signs of allergies at all . We have started the melatonin the only advice my vet gave me except for salmon oil. Oh yea I have been seeing alot of old post saying frenchies are allergic to chicken so idk about the eggs . I know the bald places where really scaley an dry so I been putting coconut oil on them . But there not red or anything an she never scratches . But the only thing i didn't understand is if it's seasonal alopecia why it never grows back. It's been like this since about last summer . From reading about it it it says the hair will grow back in the summer but hers isn't it just seem to be goin to her back legs now

I would still stay with grain free but go to a better kibble like one of the suggestions I mentioned.

Still stay away from chicken even if she hadn’t had it before.

Boost immune system and she should hopefully improve!😊