Trying to decide about a puppy

FrenchieCraver

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Carla and I am in a predicament. I have adored Frenchies since 1987, and I am a rescuer at heart. Have lived with 4 dogs, and have been without a dog for the last 3 years. I do have 3 senior cats.
I thought I was done with dogs, and would joke that I would only consider another dog if someone gave me a free Frenchie.

That is exactly what someone wants to do!

We have been offered a pup, born in late January. I have followed the litter, and today went to see the puppies. The parents have not been genetically tested, and the mother has a positive history for nasal surgery. As I was only interested in a female, my search was narrowed. I finally decided on one based on muzzle length, nares and tail. As a bonus, she is very chill and calm.

Can anyone see anything about this pup (4 weeks, 3 days old) that would be of concern? I know she is young, there are no guarantees. I am just looking for red flags. I do have the means to care for a dog as well.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• D8BC9265-23CD-41D0-A635-F004893BDDEA.jpeg
    D8BC9265-23CD-41D0-A635-F004893BDDEA.jpeg
    469.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 50F722FC-8C9B-41D0-B476-5B65770B4835.jpeg
    50F722FC-8C9B-41D0-B476-5B65770B4835.jpeg
    447.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 29259F64-13D9-4F4B-8FE5-C537210064A3.jpeg
    29259F64-13D9-4F4B-8FE5-C537210064A3.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 209

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
@FrenchieCrave OMG... she is adorable! I am not a puppy expert will @davdh MIGHT be able to give some insight as he breeds and shows Frenchies.

Welcome to FBN!

FrenchieCraver

Reaction score
Thank you, [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION]. I am having a terrible time with this decision. My last doggies lived to 15 and one had dementia, the other cancer. It was so horrible, I have been scared to even think about another pet for 3 years.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
My question is why is someone giving you a free Frenchie which is normally a very expensive breed to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrenchieCraver

Reaction score
Well, itโ€™s a bit complicated, but it is legit. The giver thinks we would be great owners for a dog that she will have access to, but does not want as she is in her late 70โ€™s.

I have also been given three pedigreed cats through the years. Apparently I am either a very good pet mom or the biggest sucker there ever was! Ha!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, itโ€™s a bit complicated, but it is legit. The giver thinks we would be great owners for a dog that she will have access to, but does not want as she is in her late 70โ€™s.

I have also been given three pedigreed cats through the years. Apparently I am either a very good pet mom or the biggest sucker there ever was! Ha!

Is it a co-ownership? Will she being wanting to show or breed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FrenchieCraver

Reaction score
Oh no. I spay and neuter all of my pets. This is purely a companion animal. That said, I want her to be healthy and comfortable. I already have a special needs cat and as happy as I am to provide for him, it pains me to know I canโ€™t make him fully healthy.

Ideally I would like it if my dog could join me on walks without discomfort. I myself have disease that causes me to be heat intolerant, so I would not be reckless. I do, however enjoy walking for up to an hour at a time, in temperatures below 80 degrees only.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no. I spay and neuter all of my pets. This is purely a companion animal. That said, I want her to be healthy and comfortable. I already have a special needs cat and as happy as I am to provide for him, it pains me to know I canโ€™t make him fully healthy.

Ideally I would like it if my dog could join me on walks without discomfort. I myself have disease that causes me to be heat intolerant, so I would not be reckless. I do, however enjoy walking for up to an hour at a time, in temperatures below 80 degrees only.

Was just curious... some breeders do that if they see potential but donโ€™t want to house the pup. It is very common.

Frenchie canโ€™t do heat either, so it would be a good match in that perspective. As for the nares, that can be a common need for some pups, my guy needed it done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baer Rios

Reaction score
I think the snout length looks pretty healthy in terms of future nasal surgeries. My frenchie had a pretty long snout and open nostrils when he was small and still. Hes 2yrs old and he has been fine. He ruffs plays with other dogs, and runs with me pretty strong. The only thing is you do have to monitor how much rough play and running they get. Definitely no crazy play in the heat. You might also need to help them cool down

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=4053]FrenchieCraver[/MENTION] This pup is a cutie pie, but not 100% Frenchie, or just a poorly bred one. The ears are too small and offset, should be more on top of head, but the tail looks fine. As long as it is healthy right now, you will probably have a good little pup, but only time will tell about the health problems, as some will not show up until they get older.