Ugh - when to neuter?

Mavis

Reaction score
Hello, friends. Jelly will be a year old on January 31, 2023. He seems to be fine behaviorally. When is the best time to neuter him? Thank you.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hello, friends. Jelly will be a year old on January 31, 2023. He seems to be fine behaviorally. When is the best time to neuter him? Thank you.

Time flies, can’t believe he is already almost 1 year. Rusty will be 4 at the end of March.

12-18 months. The longer you wait the better it is for how their joints develop, I would wait until he is 18 months as it is also known to prevent certain cancers by waiting until the 12-18 month, but if you can wait until 18 months that would be beneficial for Jelly.

Has he been “humpy” or dominant or marking or acting any different with Petey, or lifting leg to pee?

If he isn’t showing any signs of that needing it done sooner than 18 months as long as it’s over 12 months age it’s good.

For example, Rusty at age 5-6 months, he got very Humpy to my other dogs, and even to play, he would hump her. And he was getting very stubborn too then. Thankfully, he never marked or lifted his leg to pee. This is where I wished I knew this when I first got Rusty, I listened to the vet and got Rusty neutered at 6 months but I didn’t know then, that it was best to wait until at least 1 year or 12-18 months, I would’ve 100% waited at least 1 year. Especially with Luna my other dog, I wish I would’ve waited to neuter Rusty and I could’ve prevented some cancers☹️

Also the other thing, if you wait until after 1 year of age, it’s good to check the nostrils and soft palate to see if you need to have that surgery done while he is already under anesthesia, especially cause when they grow the palate gets longer and the nostrils closes. So if he needed any of those things done he only has to be under anesthesia once since he is there for neuter.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
My vet is recommending 6 months old. Is this not a recommendation?
It is better to wait as long as you can but not before 1 year old barring any medical issues that would require an earlier neuter. The longer you wait, the better for growth and development.

LincolnGates

Reaction score
It is better to wait as long as you can but not before 1 year old barring any medical issues that would require an earlier neuter. The longer you wait, the better for growth and development.
Thank you for the information. You would think a vet would give proper advice. That is concerning she wouldn't. :( I am bummed about that.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. You would think a vet would give proper advice. That is concerning she wouldn't. :( I am bummed about that.
I don't know why vets recommend neutering/spaying at such a young age but a lot of them do. I had Jax neutered at 6 months because I didn't know any better and he was my first dog. For my second dog, Louie (a bulldog), I waited to 1 year and I had a conversation with the vet beforehand and he had agreed it was good to wait since their growth plates aren't closed yet. I know you don't have a female but for spaying, it is best to wait until they have had at least 1 heat cycle.

LincolnGates

Reaction score
I don't know why vets recommend neutering/spaying at such a young age but a lot of them do. I had Jax neutered at 6 months because I didn't know any better and he was my first dog. For my second dog, Louie (a bulldog), I waited to 1 year and I had a conversation with the vet beforehand and he had agreed it was good to wait since their growth plates aren't closed yet. I know you don't have a female but for spaying, it is best to wait until they have had at least 1 heat cycle.
I have heard that with females, one cycle. It makes sense about the growth plates for sure. I was always curious because years ago it was young when they would do it and recommended after the testicles would fall, now they say 6 months.

Mavis

Reaction score
Has he been “humpy” or dominant or marking or acting any different with Petey, or lifting leg to pee?
No, he's no humpy at all or marking. I don't have anything to compare it to, but he seems just fine behaviorally. I have no issues. As of now, the plan is to wait until 18 months to neuter him. We start "school" on Feb 4. The first week is for handlers only. Jelly will start on Feb. 11. I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
No, he's no humpy at all or marking. I don't have anything to compare it to, but he seems just fine behaviorally. I have no issues. As of now, the plan is to wait until 18 months to neuter him. We start "school" on Feb 4. The first week is for handlers only. Jelly will start on Feb. 11. I can't say I'm looking forward to it.
That’s good his behaviour hasn’t changed👍

That’s good your gonna wait another 6 months for neuter.

It’s easier when they are food motivated, easier to train!

Hopefully it goes well and it’s good to socialize him.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

How is Jelly’s ‘school’ going for you and Jelly???

How is Jelly and Petey doing??