weird dirt build up inside frenchie paws? Need help urgent!

sukiforever

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 3-year-old French Bulldog named Suki. He hasn't ever had any skin issues before, but Suki recently had to go on medication due to being diagnosed with Encephalitis. Encephalitis is inflammation of the brain and can be defined as infectious and non-infectious for anyone who is curious. He's going super well with it, we haven't had any major problems for a few months in relation to his diagnosis. But earlier tonight when I was cleaning between his paws to clear out dirt, I noticed this strange build-up. I'm not sure if it's like a yeast build-up or something worse. I cleaned it up, Suki was really sensitive when I touched this part of his paw. It looks better now after cleaning it, should I be worried though? He's also been getting the same kind of build-up on his skin but in small patches too. If anyone has any tips or knows what it is, please leave them in a reply.
Thanks so so much!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 12.08.41 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 12.08.41 am.png
    129.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 12.08.51 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 12.08.51 am.png
    206.3 KB · Views: 7

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 3-year-old French Bulldog named Suki. He hasn't ever had any skin issues before, but Suki recently had to go on medication due to being diagnosed with Encephalitis. Encephalitis is inflammation of the brain and can be defined as infectious and non-infectious for anyone who is curious. He's going super well with it, we haven't had any major problems for a few months in relation to his diagnosis. But earlier tonight when I was cleaning between his paws to clear out dirt, I noticed this strange build-up. I'm not sure if it's like a yeast build-up or something worse. I cleaned it up, Suki was really sensitive when I touched this part of his paw. It looks better now after cleaning it, should I be worried though? He's also been getting the same kind of build-up on his skin but in small patches too. If anyone has any tips or knows what it is, please leave them in a reply.
Thanks so so much!
Looks like a hot spot... if I'm right, there is pus there which is like a yellowish-green color, if yes, that is infection from the hotspot. Keep it clean and dry. If you have or can get Nu-stock, it stinks to high heaven, but works like a charm

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks so so much!

Definitely looks like a sore or hot spot, possibly a infection.

Does he lick his paws, scratch, or ear issues or red skin???

What do you feed him??

Diet is the first thing to address when dealing with these kind of health issues, depending on what your feeding him.
Even yeast issues result from diet.

Also definitely keep these areas clean and I put Adored Beast Owies Oopsies spray, or colloidal silver or nu -stock.

You can also soak his paws in Epson salt water and keep that clean.

Keep us updated.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks so so much!

Also omega 3 help and also CBD oil with inflammation of the brain and any inflammation in the body.

My 3.5 year old frenchie has Idiopathic Epilepsy and IVDD and when they did the MRI they said inflammation of the brain can cause the epilepsy/seizures and cause I have him on omega 3 they said that will definitely keep any inflammation minimal and also recommend CBD oil for the seizures.

I forgot to put all this in the first response earlier.

So what food do you feed?
Do you give omega 3?

All those can help with the inflammation of the brain and any allergies or skin issues, like the paws that are inflamed!

sukiforever

Reaction score
Definitely looks like a sore or hot spot, possibly a infection.

Does he lick his paws, scratch, or ear issues or red skin???

What do you feed him??

Diet is the first thing to address when dealing with these kind of health issues, depending on what your feeding him.
Even yeast issues result from diet.

Also definitely keep these areas clean and I put Adored Beast Owies Oopsies spray, or colloidal silver or nu -stock.

You can also soak his paws in Epson salt water and keep that clean.

Keep us updated.
Suki does lick his paws regularly, I would probably say from 2 - 4 times as I've been keeping an eye on him. He also has had ear infections in the past but that hasn't affected him badly in any way. We treated it normally, got it checked with the vets and used the medication we were prescribed. Suki made a recovery from the past ear infections and he currently doesn't have an ear infection as we know!

I buy him Royal Canin Dog kibbles, usually a mixture of the Derma-comfort and French Bulldog kibble as a base in his meals. He absolutely adores fish and can't get enough of it so sometimes I put half a tin of salmon in his breakfast or half a tin of sardines. This is where I try to get all the high Omega 3 foods in his diet. For his dinner, I still use his kibble but instead of fish, I put a dog pouch in his dinner. This is mostly either a Nood Dog Food Pouch, a MyDog tin or an Optimum tin.

I have been trying to introduce more veggies and fruits into his diet. Currently, he likes rockmelon and strawberries but isn't the biggest fan of veggies. He is also keen to eat a few small chopped-up pieces of cooked beef and lamb with his dinner.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep you updated.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Suki does lick his paws regularly, I would probably say from 2 - 4 times as I've been keeping an eye on him. He also has had ear infections in the past but that hasn't affected him badly in any way. We treated it normally, got it checked with the vets and used the medication we were prescribed. Suki made a recovery from the past ear infections and he currently doesn't have an ear infection as we know!

I buy him Royal Canin Dog kibbles, usually a mixture of the Derma-comfort and French Bulldog kibble as a base in his meals. He absolutely adores fish and can't get enough of it so sometimes I put half a tin of salmon in his breakfast or half a tin of sardines. This is where I try to get all the high Omega 3 foods in his diet. For his dinner, I still use his kibble but instead of fish, I put a dog pouch in his dinner. This is mostly either a Nood Dog Food Pouch, a MyDog tin or an Optimum tin.

I have been trying to introduce more veggies and fruits into his diet. Currently, he likes rockmelon and strawberries but isn't the biggest fan of veggies. He is also keen to eat a few small chopped-up pieces of cooked beef and lamb with his dinner.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep you updated.

Since he is licking his paws and has had ear infections, that’s definitely sounding like allergies. If he is licking his paws and his paws are now irritated and sore or they have hot spots on them it’s Lilly allergies.

The Royal Canin and vet food(hills, Royal Canin, purina) have lots of fillers In there that can definitely be causing these allergies, and even if he didn’t have any health issues, I still highly recommend getting him on a better kibble and canned food(since you use both canned and kibble).

Yes vets will tell you to feed those kibbles cause they make $$$ off it and they are not taught nutrition in the vet school other than to promote their ‘prescription food’ which is all filler like the Royal Canin French bulldog that’s not vet food. They often cause many health issues in dogs, even inflammation and also if he has inflammation that’s not good for his allergies and brain inflammation, that food can be the culprit of his health issues.

Allergies is very common. They can have food allergies and environmental allergies, the most common food allergy is Chicken, corn, wheat, soy and brewers rice.
‘Chicken by product meal’ is also literally the waste of the chicken like the beaks and feathers(gross!). So that’s another ingredient that could be an issue and recommend staying away from any food with all those ingredients i listed.

Adding the salmon is good for him, you can also buy herring oil or salmon or pollock oil for dogs that you can just put in the food daily if you can’t always get the canned fish like salmon.

His immune system needs help, that’s why his paws are irritated and sore, immune system is affected by the food you feed.

Better kibbles brands are:

Acana
Orijen
Zignature
Carna 4
Natures Logic

All these kibble brands are also good for allergies. Highly recommended switching to a better quality kibble to help him.

sukiforever

Reaction score
Thank you for the kibble recommendations. I'll see how he reacts over a few months to a new safer kibble brand. I'll keep you updated