Whiskers

kpromero

Reaction score
Do any of you trim your Frenchies whiskers? Rosie sleeps with us and always wants to place her face near ours and those things kinda pick you in the face or neck and wake us up. She cannot sleep unless she is right next to one of us and was just wonder if it was okay to trim them a little.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like she is a real cuddle r :babysleep: I have never trim whiskers and can totally relate to what you are describing.... Our first Bulldog was exactly like this :heart:

jacobliebs

Reaction score
From what I have read, trimming the whiskers can disorient the dog. Which can lead to a whole other set of issues ranging from being physically unbalanced to being emotionally stressed. So Im kinda on the fence about it, but I can relate to what your experiencing.

kpromero

Reaction score
I have read here and there that some do this while showing and was just curious. For the disorient, some say also that this applies to cats.

turbodave

Reaction score
We, and our Daughter (mhuinker) both shave our Frenchies whiskers. It's just a much cleaner look, and besides, one of ours and one of hers are ex show dogs and are perfectly used to regular "shaves". I've never noticed any kind of disorientation of any kind in any of the 4, and none of them mind it one bit.
Disorientation, unbalanced??? Please.

blushy

Reaction score
Neither of my pups whiskers seem to poke us...

CristianL

Reaction score
In my opinion there's no reason to cut a dogs whiskers except for show purposes, maybe. And by cutting them you'll only make them more prickly and they'll be more of a nuisance when your puppy cuddles next to you.
We think this is OK because we don't have this sixth sense and we can't put ourselves in their shoes. Maybe we could try putting ear plugs in our ears for a whole day and have a sense of what it feels like...or maybe wear sunglasses indoor and at night. The sensory deprivation wouldn't be so great, would it?
They use their whiskers to feel air currents, to estimate the size and shape of nearby objects and how narrow or tight a hole/passage way is. They are somewhat like eye lashes for humans and every time their whiskers get touched they close their eyes to protect them. If you want to test their sensitivity, gently tap them. Your piggy will likely blink on whatever side of the head you tapped the whiskers on.
It then takes about two weeks to get used to the new feeling and sensations of having no whiskers. Then they grow back, they start getting used to them again and you cut them again..and the getting used to starts all over again. It's like rehab on-and-on-and-on.
I imagine it like cutting your nails way too short, like tear deep, and having that live flesh feeling under your nails with each and every nail. And when they grow back, cutting them again just as short. I don't think it's pleasant.

cnash

Reaction score
My girlfriend wants to cut Bentley's whiskers and I told her not to.
I want my dog to be as natural as possible and not alter him in any way.

sundown

Reaction score
I wouldn't cut whiskers on a dog. As ChristianL says above, their whiskers are part of their sensory equipment so by taking them away you're taking something away from the dog.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
We cut the whiskers of the Frenchies we are showing, and it doesn't seem to bother them. I keep Henri's and Katie's trimmed all the time.

Chiana

Reaction score
Oh my god :eek:hmy:
Made my stomach turn to read this post. Never thought/heard that people actually cut their dog's whiskers.

Please read the article below. There are many researches done why whiskers are so important to dogs and should not be altered.
In addition, with a breed that has such a bulky eyes, whiskers gives well needed protection to their eye sight.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201109/why-do-dogs-have-whiskers

Frenchielover297

Reaction score
Great artcle. I so agree dont remove the whiskers. Was surprised anyone would even consider cutting them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk