Yeasty/Musty Odor

edwin814

Reaction score
I currently give Maddy a bath once every week. Toward end of the week, she'll start to smell musty. Is this a sign of yeasty infection/build up? I'm currently feeding her TOTW puppy, and Nature's Variety puppy before that. Both are grain-free and doesn't contain white potato. I also give her kefir and coconut oil daily. I use Earthbath shampoo and conditioner. Is the smell considered normal for Frenchies? Or should I be concerned about yeast infection?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Might be allergies.... any discoloration to her fur?

Also, a bath once a week is a lot and can strip her of the natural oils in the fur... maybe cut to once a month or once every other month

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Might be allergies.... any discoloration to her fur?

Also, a bath once a week is a lot and can strip her of the natural oils in the fur... maybe cut to once a month or once every other month

Could be a different ingredient in the food causing issues.

I disagree with bathing weekly if your dog has allergy/skin issues. I have to give Jax a bath with a medicated shampoo once a week due to his environmental allergies. I have never had any issues with it being a problem. He can probably even get a bath twice a week. I remember recently reading somewhere about bathing stripping the natural oils not necessarily being true. I can't remember where I saw it but will see if I can find the article.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
We bathe weekly due to allergies as well and special shampoos are properly formulated to not strip the natural oils. Yeast usually has a pretty strong odor, like corn chips. Are the ears gunky? Could just be an allergy as previously mentioned, to some ingredient in the food.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
My dog tends to smell a bit yeasty, and licks her paws a lot and will scratch her wrinkles and her ears if they aren't kept clean. I haven't been bathing her weekly, just taking her for grooming once a month before I put on her topical flea and tick control. I have been feeding her coconut oil, a fish oil capsule, and bathe her paws in a tea colored iodine bath a couple of times a week. I give her a cetirizine 10mg tab daily in her food. I wipe her wrinkles daily with malacetic wipes and wash them with Curaseb shampoo twice a week followed by a zinc oxide ointment. I've just been brushing her dailywith a Kong ZoomGroom brush to get rid of shedding hair. I wipe her ears out every day or 2 days with a solution of 5 drops tea tree oil, 5 drops oil of cloves in 2 oz of witch hazel, and once a week I do a deep cleaning with Zymotic otic drops.

I find she's doing quite well, except for licking her paws- she still continues to do that. I'm experimenting with her food- switched her over a week or so ago to Orijen from Acana because it contains less carbohydrates. So far I haven't noticed any changes with the change in food.

edwin814

Reaction score
Thanks for all the response.

She doesn't lick her paws. She does have tendency to scratch her ears. When I clean her ears with Zymox (once a week right after bath), there are some gunks/deposits. I took her to the vet today for some routine check up, and asked if they can do some test for food allergy.