Long nose?

purpledoggy

Reaction score
So I've been trying to figure out exactly how short a frenchies nose should be? I think my Hotchkiss has a pretty long nose for a frenchie and was wondering what exactly is acceptable for a french bulldog nose? Everyone thinks Hotchkiss is either a boston or boxer. How can you mistake those ears for either of those breeds? I think maybe his coloring makes his nose look longer than it is but idk.
image.jpg

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Those ears are Frenchie ears, you can look up what the AKC standards are on nose length. Hotchkiss is still young and they change as they grow, but really, the longer the nose, the longer the walk--he is a better breather and more athletic. He may not meet AKC standards for showing, but he is adorable and most important healthy!

purpledoggy

Reaction score
I prefer him with a longer nose compared to what the akc standard showed. I wasn't sure how much a frenchies face will change as they grow. The only other dog I've had since a pup is my Sid and she looks nothing like her 8 week old puppy pics lol. The pictures I saw for the akc standard had their noses pretty smashed into their faces and all I can think is "god how can they breathe?"

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am in love with his face...he is sooo adorable!

purpledoggy

Reaction score
I got his tag from fetching tags. They have all kinds of different sayings and while they look bulky they are very lightweight. My other dogs tag says bone head because that's what she can be sometimes.

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
Aww he's cute my new puppy Hugo has a longer nose than his big brother Winston. Love the tag just had a google and sent a message to see if they post to the UK I like the Treat Whore tag, lol

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Same here. Maple has quite a long nose for a frenchy and I LOVE it! She can run and play without even panting a little. I think the Kennel Clubs should start moving towards the healthier dog than the "beauty standard " .I mean look at the pugs.A lot of them are so overbred they can hardly breath and their eyes can literally fall out of their skull. Look at pictures when they were first bred. They looked healthier. But people want that "cute,little,puppy like" squished in face so thats what they started breeding for & it became the "breed standard"... I just dont understand....

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
From the pic it does look a little long, but as long as you are not going to show him, it doesn't matter. He is just a cutie.

Reaction score
So I've been trying to figure out exactly how short a frenchies nose should be? I think my Hotchkiss has a pretty long nose for a frenchie and was wondering what exactly is acceptable for a french bulldog nose? Everyone thinks Hotchkiss is either a boston or boxer. How can you mistake those ears for either of those breeds? I think maybe his coloring makes his nose look longer than it is but idk.
View attachment 2164
Look up the AKC breed standard for the answer but the face mushes as the dog grows. When you look straight at a French Bulldog the top line of the nose is set in between the eyes. Doesn't matter what your baby is as long as you love him it's all that matters. :yes:

purpledoggy

Reaction score
Do their noses really get more smushed as they get older? This is my first brachicephalic breed so I'm new to this.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Most of the time they will not, but the head does change a bit during the growth stage. Here is a pic of one of our babies at about 5 weeks of age, you can see the face is pretty flat.

IMAG1709.jpg

Kamoc

Reaction score
Hi there....I happened to come across this forum whilst searching online for info on how long a french bulldogs nose should be. When I look at Stella straight on her nose looks extremely long!! But from the side it looks different! Could it be the markings are deceiving?? I'm now wondering if she is actually a mix breed rather than full frenchie.... :(

Opinions welcome :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 397
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 334
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 344
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 289
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 281

Kamoc

Reaction score
Oh....and only one ear is fully up. She is 9 weeks old....

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there....I happened to come across this forum whilst searching online for info on how long a french bulldogs nose should be. When I look at Stella straight on her nose looks extremely long!! But from the side it looks different! Could it be the markings are deceiving?? I'm now wondering if she is actually a mix breed rather than full frenchie.... :(

Opinions welcome :)
]

I would agree, seems to be a mix, but good lord she is adorable
[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION]

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a mix but she sure is a cutie pie!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=918]Kamoc[/MENTION] looking at the recent pics, definitely a mix, but a cutie. The snoot is too long and tapers down. A Frenchie should have a square head.

blushy

Reaction score
0c852e779ef0c866612451968f69783c.jpg
df74287e211ce8b4674d4e514c1a44bf.jpg

Isabelle has a really smooshed face? But to me I've seen frenchies with even shorter noses than her.

She does good as far as the heat and breathing. She clearly makes all of those hilarious Frenchie noises and becomes a little piggy snorting around the house.

Kamoc

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys....you have just confirmed what I was already thinking :(
She's an amazing pup...full frenchie or not :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 335

πŸ†• Latest posts