If you have a dog, please please PLEASE get pet insurance!

mymilofrenchies

Reaction score
Long post but I'll address the major points to consider about pet insurance, especially for Frenchies parents.

My take is that you NEVER know when an emergency happens, and you won’t feel it until you're in a life and death situation. You think bad things like this don’t happen, but they actually do, accidents can happen, puppies eat everything they see and it can cause blockage, French bulldogs are more susceptible to genetic health issues than mixed breed dogs, they can suffer from IVDD, spine malformations, a number of airway and breathing difficulties, heat and exercise intolerance, reproductive problems, ear infections, diarrhoea, and a number of allergies, infections and skin problems.

It’s annoying having a monthly premium until your dog needs multiple sets of X-rays, pain management, and multiple appointments in the span of a couple months. No one would want to be faced with the decision of coming up with $10k for emergency surgery or letting their loved puppy die. It's like a seat belt, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Some people will say it's a waste of money and to just make a savings account for it. The problem with a savings account is that if something happens BEFORE you've built up enough in your account, then what do you do? Also it's finite and depleting. If you have regular issues, your savings account might deplete quickly and then you'll be stuck.

Pet insurance is like any other insurance. You're always paying a relatively affordable or manageable monthly cost to offset the potential of a debilitating emergency cost in the future. That's all insurance ever is.

Pet insurance industry is not well regulated. Do your research before buying a policy, read the sample terms for the plans, and figure out what's in your budget and what you'd like covered if you do decide to go that route. BTW sometimes your employer may offer it.

There are plenty of articles to read online which explain what I'm outlining here in more detail if you're still unsure. Here is a good article about comparison between 8 big pet insurance companies:https:/theswiftest.com/best-pet-insurance-compared.

To me, I see pet insurance as an easy monthly cost that gives me peace of mind in case the worst should happen, and I believe it's definitely worth it. I just wish everyone would take the risk a little more seriously. Don't let your dog jump off the bed, off furniture or run up and down stairs. Love your babies! I sincerely hope this never happens to any of you or your beautiful dogs.

Last edited:

Mavis

Reaction score
Long post but I'll address the major points to consider about pet insurance.

My take is that you NEVER know when an emergency happens, and you won’t feel it until you're in a life and death situation. You think bad things like this don’t happen, but they actually do, accidents can happen, puppies eat everything they see and it can cause blockage, French bulldogs are more susceptible to genetic health issues than mixed breed dogs, they can suffer from IVDD, spine malformations, a number of airway and breathing difficulties, heat and exercise intolerance, reproductive problems, ear infections, diarrhoea, and a number of allergies, infections and skin problems.

It’s annoying having a monthly premium until your dog needs multiple sets of X-rays, pain management, and multiple appointments in the span of a couple months. No one would want to be faced with the decision of coming up with $10k for emergency surgery or letting their loved puppy die. It's like a seat belt, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

Some people will say it's a waste of money and to just make a savings account for it. The problem with a savings account is that if something happens BEFORE you've built up enough in your account, then what do you do? Also it's finite and depleting. If you have regular issues, your savings account might deplete quickly and then you'll be stuck.

There are plenty of articles to read online which explain what I'm outlining here in more detail if you're still unsure. Here is a good article about comparison between 8 big pet insurance companies:https:/theswiftest.com/best-pet-insurance-compared.

Pet insurance is like any other insurance. You're always paying a relatively affordable or manageable monthly cost to offset the potential of a debilitating emergency cost in the future. That's all insurance ever is.Think of it like a safety net - you hope you never need it, but you're glad it's there if you do.
I agree, however, I would caution people to make sure they understand the policy fully before purchasing. When we got our pup, I looked into pet insurance. Talked to a rep extensively from Nationwide, a reputable company. My primary concern was that nare and palate surgery would be covered. He assured me that it was (50%). He went on to say that french bulldogs are the No. 1 breed for pet insurance subscribers, and that he also has a brachy breed (a pug). Based on that assurance, I enrolled. Over a year later, Jelly required nare and palate surgery. I submitted the claim and was shocked when it was denied due to a non-covered surgery. I called immediately and told the rep. about my conversation a year prior. "We're sorry, but it's not covered. It was in the policy details (or whatever) that were sent to you." Nothing I can do about it. I've been paying $78/mo. for not much of anything. I'm afraid now to cancel the policy in case some emergency happens.

🆕 Latest posts