Sad Diagnosis - IVDD

NicoleMD

Reaction score
Hello All,

For those who have been following our story, what started as a limp ended up being IVDD. We are on strict crate rest for 4-6 weeks with some meds, too. If this doesnt work we will be looking into surgery, but to be honest with my husband on furlough because of Covid-19, it's not something that we've budgeted for, so we will be very dilligent with her home care in hopes that Wilhelmina makes a full recovery. The Vet said she has a 75% chance of full recovery if we follow through with strict crate rest so that's pretty good odds! We are aware that this could be a recurring problem and that up to 50% of dogs will slip another disk in thier lifetimes. To reduce that risk we have invested in a couch ramp and some carpets to help with jumping and slipping. Can't wait to train her on how to use the ramp!

We are actually in week two of recovery now and she has most of her personality back which is wonderful to see, as the first week of meds pretty much zonked her out. Good to be still, but also sad to see her so unhappy. Also, and most importnantly, she has regained feeling and coordination in her back legs this week so things are looking up!

Say a little puppy prayer for us.

PSA: PLEASE DO NOT LET YOUR FRENCHIES JUMP OFF FURNITURE. We're fairly certain that is how this developed in Minnie and very luckily we caught it when we did. If it had progressed, she could have been permantly paralyzed. Also, if it's in budget, please invest in an insurance policy for your pet BEFORE a problem comes up. Minnie is not classifed as a preexsisting condidition and no care for her back will be covered, no matter which insurance we pick up.

Jeffc

Reaction score
Best of luck I’m pulling for your sweet baby. Very good advice on the ramps we have surrounding our couch our pups primarily use with ramps to discourage jumping off. Again sending your pup health and love keep us posted.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sending lots of healing prayers and positive thoughts!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can, try acupuncture and laser therapy. Jax had his second surgery not even a year after his first one. It’s been over a year since his last surgery but he can herniate a disc at any time. Their discs dry up so they have no cushion support. It’s a horrible disease.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that crate rest is helping. I'm not sure if an XPen would be ok too, [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] and [MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION] for their opinion on this.I agree with everything said before, and you can also try supplementing with fish oil and turmeric. Here's a link that mentions this:

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/managing-ivdd-and-back-pain-in-dogs-naturally/

Xpen could be okay as long as the dog is calm and not jumping around. Or if you wanted to go and sit with her.

I do know some dogs will recover with just crate rest but I think the odds of a reoccurrence is higher since none of the disc has been removed. So you could experience more flare ups without the surgery.

lisamarie

Reaction score
Prayers for your family & beautiful Minnie[emoji3590]

NicoleMD

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Yes we’re picking up laser therapy this week to help resolve some of the lingering inflammation. We’ve finished our meds and have full mobility (!!!) but are taking it slow. No walks or anything like that yet.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Yes we’re picking up laser therapy this week to help resolve some of the lingering inflammation. We’ve finished our meds and have full mobility (!!!) but are taking it slow. No walks or anything like that yet.

Great news!! Keep us posted

FroxerMom

Reaction score

Love the update - continued well wishes sent your way!

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Minnie but I'm glad she's doing better! Wally also has an IVDD issue as well as hip dysplasia but we maintain it by giving supplements. He's moves around just fine but we carry him up and down the stairs now, and no jumping off the furniture.

🆕 Latest posts