Pooping in the house when it rains outside.

bruzda

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post to the forum. I have read many a good post here, and received great advice. We took in an approximately 2 year old male Fenchie after he was abandoned. He was literally throw out of a car. I named the little guy Fletch. I am smitten with him. With all the good he has brought to our house, he has brought a few bad habits. The one that I am asking you all about is his distaste for getting his feet wet. It is not so much getting the feet wet. It is what it causes that is driving my crazy. He won't go poo outside. He will hold it and go on the carpet when no one is paying attention to him. I am at a loss for what to do. I purchased some small boots for him to use, but he still won't go in the wet grass with the boots on. It has rained here where I live over the last 2 days, and I have had 3 poo accidents in that time. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated. IMG_2135.jpg

KimB3384

Reaction score
OK, first off - who the $#&! throws a dog - not to mention a Frenchie - out of a car??? I would love to take a stick and beat that person. But thank heavens Fletch has you! He is totally adorable!

We had issues with Bisou doing the same thing. Part of her issue was that she was a puppy. The other part of it was because she was a diva. I wound up carrying a giant golf umbrella outside with us and walking all hunched over to make sure that none of the rain got on her. I looked insane, I'm sure. And I would do this every 15 minutes until she would go outside. I think she just got tired of being traipsed outside and just went to get me off her back. As soon as she'd come inside I'd dry her feet off with a towel so that she wouldn't suffer too long. It seems to have worked because she doesn't have issues with going outside when it's raining, unless it's a torrential downpour.

Fletch is also still getting used to the lay of the land. Imagine how traumatizing that whole ordeal must have been for him. I'll bet he gets acclimated soon and this will be a non-issue.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
If you have your own yard then I would look at purchasing a pop up canapy. That would keep a secion of th grass dry and you could pick him up walk him out there under an umbrella and then put him under the canapy. That might work?

@ KimB3384 I was laughing so hard at your story! Loved it!

http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/pop-up-canopies

lkclark

Reaction score
OK, first off - who the $#&! throws a dog - not to mention a Frenchie - out of a car??? I would love to take a stick and beat that person. But thank heavens Fletch has you! He is totally adorable!

We had issues with Bisou doing the same thing. Part of her issue was that she was a puppy. The other part of it was because she was a diva. I wound up carrying a giant golf umbrella outside with us and walking all hunched over to make sure that none of the rain got on her. I looked insane, I'm sure. And I would do this every 15 minutes until she would go outside. I think she just got tired of being traipsed outside and just went to get me off her back. As soon as she'd come inside I'd dry her feet off with a towel so that she wouldn't suffer too long. It seems to have worked because she doesn't have issues with going outside when it's raining, unless it's a torrential downpour.

Fletch is also still getting used to the lay of the land. Imagine how traumatizing that whole ordeal must have been for him. I'll bet he gets acclimated soon and this will be a non-issue.

When I reincarnate I want to come back as one of your dogs. Lol.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Some Frenchies are just stubborn and it will take awhile to get him to go outside, just keep after him. Hillary will do this if we don't watch her. Plus bless you for taking him in and giving him a loving fur-ever home. It's hard to believe people are so heartless and throw an innocent beautiful baby out a moving car. I would love to do the same thing to them.

bruzda

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yes, he hit the jackpot. We are animal lovers with one cat, two Great Danes, and now Fletch. He is my first dog. The Danes are momma boys. Fletch is all about me. I can't get enough of him. I may just try taking him on a leash for a walk in the morning. We have had him for a little over a month. We just moved to a house with a bit more carpet. This is when the "accidents" started. Our old house had tile everywhere and he never once poo'd in the house.

KimB3384

Reaction score
When I reincarnate I want to come back as one of your dogs. Lol.

LOL - I am definitely ... shall we say ... enthusiastic about being a puppy mom. Couldn't care less about kids, but dogs? They're my jam.

@Julie_Stevenson - I am sooooooo getting one of those!!!

FranKershaw

Reaction score
Same problem. I will take Deuce out to potty and he waits to come back in the house to do his business!! I bought a pet potty mat that is support to simulate grass. It didn't fool Deuce. He would have nothing to do with it. Waste of money. Feeling u r pain .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheli is the same way --- if it is raining, I sometimes have to carry him out to the grass and block/redirect him form getting back to the door. I consistently say 'potty' and we do not go back inside till he does his bussiness. Took time, but now he will run do his thing and look at me like 'OK.. now get me back inisde'

Fitz

Reaction score
Cheli is the same way --- if it is raining, I sometimes have to carry him out to the grass and block/redirect him form getting back to the door. I consistently say 'potty' and we do not go back inside till he does his bussiness. Took time, but now he will run do his thing and look at me like 'OK.. now get me back inisde'

This is exactly what I have to do. I pick Fitz up and take him to the farthest corner of the yard. Then I block him if he tries to run back. He usually gets the idea and gets it over with. Usually.

eeturk

Reaction score
I'm about to sound a little crazy but when we got Hudson (it was January) he detested going out in the cold/rain. Would cry and crouch down and refuse to do anything. I found an xxs (he was 2 pounds) down vest with a hood on clearance at petco. It totally changed his attitude! He could just be cold and grumpy. Here's Hudson in his vest
hyra6a9u.jpg

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post to the forum. I have read many a good post here, and received great advice. We took in an approximately 2 year old male Fenchie after he was abandoned. He was literally throw out of a car. I named the little guy Fletch. I am smitten with him. With all the good he has brought to our house, he has brought a few bad habits. The one that I am asking you all about is his distaste for getting his feet wet. It is not so much getting the feet wet. It is what it causes that is driving my crazy. He won't go poo outside. He will hold it and go on the carpet when no one is paying attention to him. I am at a loss for what to do. I purchased some small boots for him to use, but he still won't go in the wet grass with the boots on. It has rained here where I live over the last 2 days, and I have had 3 poo accidents in that time. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated. View attachment 3653
Please forgive me for lol. There's nothing wrong with him, he's French Bulldog. :yes: My dog hates rain, water in the pavement, water from the hose and the bath sprayer. He's never pooped inside in his life but when I think about it he's never pooped outside when it was raining either. lol It doesn't say where you live but I am from Florida but living where it never rains in Utah. We will be going back to Florida this winter so I'll have to see how Sarge deals with the rain and if he poops inside while we're there. I feel for you and I can understand your frustration but you have to admit it's kinda cute. My bet is you wouldn't poop in the rain either :no: :D

Reaction score
I'm about to sound a little crazy but when we got Hudson (it was January) he detested going out in the cold/rain. Would cry and crouch down and refuse to do anything. I found an xxs (he was 2 pounds) down vest with a hood on clearance at petco. It totally changed his attitude! He could just be cold and grumpy. Here's Hudson in his vest
hyra6a9u.jpg

OMDogness, what a lil' pixie. How cute!

KimB3384

Reaction score
I just made a high-pitch squeal that I didn't think was possible for a human to make.

eeturk

Reaction score
OMDogness, what a lil' pixie. How cute!

Haha thank you :) back when he was a tiny menace! Now he's an (almost) full sized one haha. We'll be in the market for a new coat come fall to prevent this problem!

bruzda

Reaction score
A little update on Fletch. Time has help us learn one another. Ok, I've learned him. I have been taking him for walks early in the morning after his breakfast, and in the evening after his dinner. I found he loves pooping in the neighbor's yards. And yes, I do pick it up. Rain or shine he gets a walk. It's worked well. He lets us know when he wants to go out, albeit quietly. If you don't let him out, he will find a corner. I am hoping he out grows this. I feel bad putting him in a kennel when I leave. But I just can't trust him right now.

Schimpfy

Reaction score
Chance Loves his baths and if we Leave the bathroom door open you can bet he wiII jump into the tub and when having a bath he dunks his whole head in especialIy when it is being drained
Now if it is raining he walks a Long the side of the building or stands in between my Legs using me for shelter makes no sense to me and after pooing he Iooks at me as if to say get me out of here